Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

SOO LOST HERE....

edited February 2007 in Buddhism Basics
OK I TRIED BUDDHISM FOR A LITTLE OVER A YEAR AND I REALLY LIKED IT SO I WORKED UP THE NERVE TO GO TO A TIBETAN TEMPLE AND WAS PUT OFF BY THE SPEAKING OF TIBETAN AND THAT THE PERSON THAT WAS LEADING THE BEGINNERS CLASS WAS DRINKING A MOUNTAIN DEW AND FLIRTING WITH A GIRL THE WHOLE TEMPLE SEEMED GEAR TO SPEAKING TIBETAN AND SO NOW THERE WAS NOTHING THAT I COULD PERSONAL USE SO THAT WAS THE ONE AND ONLY TIME I WENT... I HAD QUIT SMOKING DRINK BEER OR SODA STOP SMOKING FOR 6 MONTHS BEGIN TO MEDITATE EVERYDAY STARED DRINKING MORE TEA I EVEN GOT RID OF MY HAND GUNS AND RIFLES IS I COULD NEVER KILL OR HARM ANYTHING OR ANYONE..." HAVE THEM BUT STILL COULD NEVER KILL OR HARM NOW" AFTER THE TEMPLE THING I STARTED RIGHT BACK UP AND FEEL WORSE THEN I FELT BEFORE...SO NOW I AM LOST AND DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO... AM I A BUDDHIST OR NOT OR IS THERE A POINT TO TRYING... IA M ALREADY BEEN MADE FUN OF FOR READING BUDDHIST BOOK BUT MY OWN FAMILY AND WOULD BE KICKED OUT OF MY FAMILY IF THE KNEW I WENT TO TEMPLE I AM NOT TOO WORRIED ABOUT THIS BUT I AM SO LOST SHOULD I TRY AGAIN AND IF SO WHAT WAY DO I GO....

Comments

• edited January 2007
    There is a lot to say to your post, and I'm sure many others will have better advice than I. I have only been practicing for over a year, and recently went to my first center. I fortunatly was not as put off though. I think the people you did meet and see were not living the "buddhist" life. They should have made you feel a little more comfortable. Don't let this experience steer you away from something you seem to be so happy with. That was only one group of people. And we are all human, so we all make mistakes.

You have come to the right place though. Since I stepped on the path everyone here has helped more than you, I and they could ever know. Welcome to the forum and I hope you get the answers you are seeking.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited January 2007
    You sound like you were more of a buddhist before you went to that temple ;)

Welcome to our community, Crashtestway. You'll find that Buddhism is a path of action more than anything else. Your actions indicate that you are well on the path - to give up major life habits and change your way of thinking such as you've already done is a major accomplishment to finding peace in your life. If you step outside of your own head for a minute, you'll see it like I see it (and forgive me if I'm reaching here...) but it seems like your getting attached to the idea of attending a temple is actually causing you more suffering than you were experiencing without having gone to a temple.

Are you a buddhist or not? It sounds like you are, my friend.

My advice? Relax, don't go to that temple again, and continue what you were doing, because it seems to be working for you.

Oh, and hang out here more often :)
  • edited January 2007
    aah the definition of a buddhist.. well it doesn't exist. i get bored with ppl who are said to be wise.. saying to be buddhist you must follow these precepts.. blah blah blah..

the nearest thing i'd sum it up to

is someone who is trying to find balance between the sun and moon.. order and chaos.

Everyone is born to chaos.. but looking for the balance to me is what makes you a buddhist. Everyone has a buddha nature.. some more in touch than others.

Don't get caught too much in stereotypes and indentity crisises.. meditate and discuss with yourself.. find your own answer.. might take a few days.
  • edited January 2007
    I am very sorry to hear that you had a bad experience at your first temple. I have been learning about Buddhism for about a year now and have not yet visited a temple. It was wonderful to hear all of the BIG steps you have undertaken already, that takes a lot of courage. Don't let one bad experience drive you off of your path. Today is a new day, make the best of today. And like Brian said, hang out here more. There are many well educated people here that can help you through some hard times. I hope you find your peace.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Sorry to hear about your experience, crashtest, but you know, it's only one experience. If you just keep seeking, you'll find a place that suits you. It's also not necessary to go to a temple, at least at first. What's more important is to develop a heart of compassion for your fellow sentient beings. You've already accomplished a lot, so don't stop now!

Palzang
  • edited January 2007
    well i am starting over and hope this time it works better i just thought that going to a temple was something that you needed to do... also there is a zen temple in town i just found what is zen buddhism about??? well i just pitch all the smokes, soda and stuff again.. i felt alot better when i was free of things its it seems that money or anything else had no point all i want is peace and the mind set to use it :om: ... even if my family disowns me it would be worth it to be at peace.. well here i go again...

thank you all for your time
    crashtestway

p.s looking to make a zafu or buy one.. i left mine in the temple i kind of ran out at the end... where is the cheapest place online to get them???
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2007
    crashtestway,

There is a lot to cover here, but I would like to give you a few quick thoughts of my own. The first thing that I think needs to be mentioned is that nobody needs to know about your practice. If people treat your unfairly or do not understand your interest in Buddhism, there is no real need for them know.

The second thing that I think needs to be mentioned is that there are a lot of different teachers and traditions out there. Just because one didn't turn out so well doesn't mean that they're all like that. I have met some teachers who I simply did not care for, but it should be remembered that these people are human too. Not every teacher will be the real deal.

What I mean by that is not every one will have achieved some stage of realization, and just because they are wearing robes does not mean that they have—some may have, and may not. Even the ones who have not necessarily achieved any real insight or realization can still be excellent teachers. While you do not need a teacher, it is helpful if you have one.

The third thing that I think needs to be mentioned is that everyone makes mistakes, and everyone has trouble trying to change their life when they have decided that they do not like what it has become. Every journey in life takes one step at a time, whether that journey happens to be a physical one, spiritual one, etc.

Best wishes,

Jason
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Dear CrashTestWay, Noble Seeker:

My teacher taught me, when I'm in the temple and not too happy about the goings-on, to appropriate the best thing and offer it as I would a rose. That way, I find some blessing there.

If it's a bad experience, I'd simply choose another temple, if available, or go on my own.

As for a boy flirting with a girl in a temple, try not to think on the physical plane, but to recall that you're not in charge of the temple's decorum. If your mind can't get off the matter, try to turn it around and see it as something elevated and lovely that escapes the mortal realm. Or something like that.

If I saw a boy flirting with a girl in Temple, I'd simply be reminded of Lord Krishna. I would probably find it harder to see two boys flirting in Temple, though. Although I heartily approve of any human affection, I'm not so sure this type would be tolerable in Temple. I say this only to suggest that THINGS COULD ALWAYS BE WORSE.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Hey Crash...

Sorry I'm so late to throw in my $0.02 worth.

You know... Gotama wasn't a Buddhist. He wasn't a Buddhist when he became awakened. This might not even be the right path for you.

But boy!, you sure seemed to experience some major life changes (and it sounds like for the better) before going to that certain "building" occupied by "people".

A lot of Christians may be put off by ministers who go around having sex with people they aren't married to - it really has nothing to do with one's faith.

I'm glad to see you here.

-bf

P.S. Oh yeah... your CAPS LOCK is on. :)
    edited January 2007
    Ooops... my bad. Looks like you found the caps lock.

There was a member here, a guy with a lot of good advice that just had a hard time keeping his trap shut sometimes... (damnit!) who sells/sold zafus on Ebay.

You could always check there...

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2007
    well i am starting over and hope this time it works better i just thought that going to a temple was something that you needed to do... also there is a zen temple in town i just found what is zen buddhism about??? well i just pitch all the smokes, soda and stuff again.. i felt alot better when i was free of things its it seems that money or anything else had no point all i want is peace and the mind set to use it :om: ... even if my family disowns me it would be worth it to be at peace.. well here i go again...

thank you all for your time
    crashtestway

p.s looking to make a zafu or buy one.. i left mine in the temple i kind of ran out at the end... where is the cheapest place online to get them???

Jason gave you good advice on how to deal with your practice in the face of criticism from family or friends. It's not really anybody else's business. True change comes from within and may not even be evident to those who know you (except maybe in a softening of your personality).

My favorite place for meditation cusions is Samadhi Cushions, mainly because the proceeds go to support practitioners, and because they not only have zafus but other types of cushions (like gomdens) which may be more your cup of tea. Of course, there are many, many other sources - Carolina Morning, Dharmacrafts, etc. Just Goggle zafu and you'll get tons.

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Hey, Crash,

I've been thinking about your post for a while now and I think there's something important about having an unpleasant first impression at a temple. I've heard that in some Japanese Zen traditions a teacher will do many things to discourage a potential student in order to help the student understand how deep his/her resolve is. So in your case you could look at it that way, too.

The Buddhist path is the way out of suffering. If you've had enough suffering and you really, really want to find a way to end it, follow the teachings of the Buddha because that's exactly what he taught, and in great detail. It doesn't matter what school you follow or what temple you go to. Seek out the Buddha's words and teachings and you'll be on the right path.

Start with The Four Noble Truths and continue with The Noble Eightfold Path. Do searches on them and study them. Then do everything in your power to practice them in your daily life, live by them as you continue to study and understand them.

You don't have to depend on anyone else to teach or guide you right now. Depend on yourself, your own mind and your own inner wisdom. When you begin your study and practice of Buddhism, you'll begin to see and understand how it plays out in your life and you'll begin to understand the truth and wisdom in The Path.

So start again at the beginning. Read, learn, but most importantly, practice, practice, practice. If you do this it will become clearer and clearer every day.

Your friend,
    Brigid (always a beginner)
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited January 2007
    NICE outasight Insight, Brigid!
    Brigid wrote:
    I've heard that in some Japanese Zen traditions a teacher will do many things to discourage a potential student in order to help the student understand how deep his/her resolve is...
    Start with The Four Noble Truths and continue with The Noble Eightfold Path. Do searches on them and study them. Then do everything in your power to practice them in your daily life, live by them as you continue to study and understand them.
    You don't have to depend on anyone else.

My apologies for my highlighting. Everything Brigid said was perfect. It's just that I have this compulsion for outlining.
  • edited February 2007
    Hey Crashtest, lots of good advice given so far.

My neighbor had a similar experience. He likes Asian philosophy, does Tai-chi, etc, but he went to a certain Buddhist center and was similarly creeped out. The intro classes weren't bad, but when you got past that, he told me he was hanging out with lots of really, really way-out New Age types, and they spent lots of time reading and discussing the teachings of one specific monk, and not so much on Buddhism.

He felt flustered because he felt like he hadn't learned much. They kind of just threw him in. I get the feeling you are in the same boat. You probably started out curious about Buddhism, and suddenly you were knee-deep in it.

Like others said here, start with the real basic Buddhist teachings. I recommend a book, "What the Buddha Taught" by Walpola Rahula, which covers all the basic teachings in a nice way.

Another book, "The Idiot's Guide to Buddhism", has a good coverage of different branches of Buddhism. Once you get comfortable with the basics, you'll probably want to find a way to practice it with others. This is where you try out different sects and see what works.

From my own experience, you can try something easy-going like Shin Buddhism. They are pretty laid back folks, and there's really not a lot restrictions. Some might argue it's kind of a boring branch of Buddhism. ;)

In any case, good luck!
    edited February 2007
    Come, Kalamas. Do not go upon what has been acquired by repeated hearing; nor upon tradition; nor upon rumor; nor upon what is in a scripture; nor upon surmise; nor upon an axiom; nor upon specious reasoning; nor upon a bias towards a notion that has been pondered over; nor upon another's seeming ability; nor upon the consideration, 'The monk is our teacher.' Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are good; these things are not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness,' enter on and abide in them. - the Buddha

Lots of great advice here...

You owe these people nothing. The Buddha ruffled many feathers with his teachings.

There is nothing wrong with asking, "Umm!, excuse me... where did The Buddha teach that?"

If the teachings of others do not support the teachings of Buddha - I would have to question those teachings.

Same thing with what The Buddha told the Kalamas... You should be made to feel put off by asking questions or for seeking the truth.

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2007
    You should not be made to feel put off, right BF?
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2007
    And, conversely, the same standard of 'proof' has to apply to the words attributed to the Buddha, starting from a position of unbelief, shouldn't it?
  • edited February 2007
    thank you all for your words i am going to keep trying i will make this work as for my family "the work of the devil" (uncle) i am just going to keep my mouth shut if and keep my take on things to myself.... even thought i lost my way for while i still want to find peace in my life everyone makes mistakes buddhist too.. i guess it also made me want this more then anything else... so i am going to try again and how ever long it takes it takes...as for the temple part i should find you guy that lead the class and tell him that he did more for me that way then any other way he could have done...:) i found this saying on the net "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." the Buddha

:om:
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Crashtestway,

I hope that you and your family manage to find ways in which you can accept each other's differences in compassionate peace, although some conflict is almost inevitable even in the most united of families. Just look at Tenzin Gyatso's growing up: he is the Dalai Lama but he quarrelled terribly with his brother and got into trouble with his parents because he is also an 'ordinary' human being.

May I put you on guard against relying too much on "your own reason and your own common sense": these are the deceitful functions that have led other members of your family to their own positions! The 'quotation' that you found is a twisted version of the Buddha's teaching to the Kalamas:
    Do not go upon what has been acquired by repeated hearing; nor upon tradition; nor upon rumor; nor upon what is in a scripture; nor upon surmise; nor upon an axiom; nor upon specious reasoning; nor upon a bias towards a notion that has been pondered over; nor upon another's seeming ability; nor upon the consideration, 'The monk is our teacher.' Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are good; these things are not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness,' enter on and abide in them.
    You may want to read the whole text (it isn't long):
    Kalama Sutta

The point is to test what you are being told, just as you are supposed to do in the chemistry lab. Prove it for yourself. This is not easy nor does it come all at once. It also requires that we question each and every presupposition. When you find yourself thinking, "This is a fact; that person is talking nonsense; I agree or don't agree with that idea", you have to stop and look for whatever is provable or unproven - even in your own most preciously-held beliefs.

I repeat: this is not easy, nor is it always comfortable. We may have to let go of notions which have appeared self-evident or, even, the whole underpinnings of our way of life. This is not an easy path and I pray that you find the strength and courage to continue.
  • edited February 2007
    hai gd advice, nice text.. agree entirely, but i have to say it is too long lol

when purchasing something, its very easy to go for what ppl would think u look good in, or what ppl think is fashionable or expensive looking, rather than what you yourself think is practical and most useful both in terms of looks and blah blah blah.
  • edited February 2007
    "p.s looking to make a zafu or buy one.. i left mine in the temple i kind of ran out at the end... where is the cheapest place online to get them???"

I have a slightly irregular on clearance in my EBay store. See hte ink in my profile.
  • edited February 2007
    hi crash

im glad you have been poppin back in to read and asscess the great advice given.

you sound so eagar, and excited. .i could feel your enthusiasum!! right on!..
    remember this is a path, not black and white/im was here and now im not will try again sort of thing..
    take it eeeeease my friend, walk well... continue.. keep on keepin on..
    and all that good stuff!
    enjoy your moments of peace, and sit with your suffering .. KNOWIN THINGS CHANGE