Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism and The Bombings in Bangkok

JohnC.KimbroughJohnC.Kimbrough Explorer
edited March 2007 in Buddhism Today
Buddhism and The Bombings in Bangkok

In the close to twenty years that this writer has resided in Bangkok, Thailand, it has always been a source of bemusement and at times confusing perceptions to see a country and culture that likes to think of itself as being both modern and one that understands the Buddhist teachings to be one that is wracked by so much violence, ill – will and ignorance.

This is not meant to be a criticism of Thailand or its culture and people, who like people in all cultures and countries of the world wish to go about their daily tasks, errands and activities with a degree of focus, ease and pleasure.

In fact, life in the modern Thailand can be quite stressful as people spend a lot of time, energy and money in trying to look good, keep up with their neighbors, and buy the latest gadget and sensual enticement that has caught their eye.

Living in such a materialistic environment, with its emphasis on greed, face, status and wealth is bound to create all sorts of problems.

With this in mind, the recent bombings in Bangkok came as no surprise, as bombings and other subtle and overt forms of intimidation have always been a part of both Asian and Thai culture.

Was there anything good that came out of this?

On the surface, one would say, how could there be, but anything that makes us more mindful, whether it is in a positive or negative way, can be a source of potential strength and wisdom.

What makes individuals do such a thing that would kill and harm their own countrymen?

What do they think and feel when their actions result in the death and injury of innocent people?

Will they be satisfied with the mayhem they have already caused or be motivated to do such a thing in the future?

Of course, the bombings gave all sorts of people an excuse to do other things that show a lack of mindfulness and wisdom. People started calling up bomb hoaxes against their competition in business or about a school that they did not want to attend for the day.

Buddhism looks at such things as being both foolish and unskillful.

We can live together if we know how to live in a simple manner, instead of thinking that we have to have this or that, or need to do this in order to think of ourselves as being the equal or better then others.

The mind is not our friend when it acts in such a way.

Buddhism teaches and reminds us that all individuals have to deal with thoughts and feelings that create suffering, and greed and ill – will are two of the mental and behavioral states that lead to the greatest amount of suffering for both individuals and the world as a whole.

In doing bombings in Bangkok, Madrid, London or another country or place in the world, we accomplish little except to kill and hurt innocent people, while at the same time fostering greed, ill –will, anger and confusion among those who continue to live and seek pleasure and happiness through skilful and unskillful ways each day.

©2007 John C. Kimbrough

John is a volunteer teaching Yoga and Buddhism and providing other health and educational resources for men and women in a local provincial prison in Cambodia. He has lived in Asia for twenty years

Comments

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2007
    In doing bombings in Bangkok, Madrid, London or another country or place in the world, we accomplish little except to kill and hurt innocent people, while at the same time fostering greed, ill–will, anger and confusion among those who continue to live and seek pleasure and happiness through skilful and unskillful ways each day.

At first sight this looks wrong, but it reminds me of what my teacher often said, that we are ALL responsible for the mad acts of a few. Where were we when others were hurting or hungry or freezing? And how many times have others reached out to us and we have withheld any semblance of charity or fellow-feeling?

Yet, it's remarkable how much we human beings can detach ourselves from bad things we do and not let the full horror enter into us, using idealogies or religion ("being right" or being "righteous") to insulate us from our fellow human beings. When "our" actions result in the death and injury of innocent people, it's "collateral damage." Only years later, after getting off this crazy rollercoaster and starting to become reflective human beings, would real anguish and remorse be allowed in. It's sad, but the world is quite simply an insane place.

I think that's a large part of what the Buddha taught.
  • edited February 2007
    the mind is born to chaos..

what puzzles is me, is how ppl can be so deluded as to think that bombing actually helps further their cause..
    edited February 2007
    Celebrin wrote:
    the mind is born to chaos..

what puzzles is me, is how ppl can be so deluded as to think that bombing actually helps further their cause..

Isn't just the idea of causing trouble for those who are not "in the right" (as they think they are) furthering the cause of stirring up trouble for those "in the wrong?" ([As they incorrectly assess things...])

The letterbombers in Britain right now seem to be sending a message to motorists or non animal-rights advocates. Is this advertising of sorts? The fact that all this seems very wrong and sinful to an objective observer probably never enters their minds.
  • edited February 2007
    all enters my mind is these guys r irrational murderers.. their message never gets through to me ever.. cus of the way they try and force it on us. Even a newspaper or some sort of protest would do more good..
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2007
    The point of terrorism is to spread terror, as V. I. Lenin stressed. Protest or journalism cannot achieve this, only unreasoning and indiscriminate violence. This is why it is nonsense to wage 'war' on terrorism with violence: it only does the terrorists' job for them.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    "You can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs." --V.I. Lenin
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Which doesn't do much for those who don't like or want to eat eggs.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    I didn't say I agreed with the statement, just repeating what dear ol' Vladimir Ilyich said. He was a coldhearted bastard, imho, and I wouldn't ever suggest emulating him in any way. I think it is quite appropriate, for example, that his statue in Ulaan Baatar is now the pickup spot for prostitutes!

Palzang
  • edited February 2007
    is that karma?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    What else would it be?

Palzang
  • edited February 2007
    i dunno.. maybe his statue is sexy.. was he a chick magnet when he was alive?
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Nah, I wasn't thinking you agreed, Palzang. That would just be silly. He was pretty cold hearted, wasn't he? Poor old fool.
    edited February 2007
    Brigid:
    I can't quite figure out what you're talking about.

Whom are you planning on Love-Bombing now, dear?
  • JohnC.KimbroughJohnC.Kimbrough Explorer
    edited March 2007
    I am sorry that I have not been able to reply or contribute to this thread recently.....

I have been involved with my work in Cambodia.

Violence has long been a common phenomenon in lands and countries where Buddhism is a major part of the cultural environment (China, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Myanmar).

The study and practice of Buddhism takes time, effort, energy and a commitment.

Changing and bringing about a development of the mind and consciousness in countries and cultures where status and face are all important and Buddhism is thought of and practiced as more of a ritual and to get rerwards in this and future lives is not an easy to task.

Some might think it is impossible........

Greed for money, influence, fame and power is not a way to happiness....
  • JohnC.KimbroughJohnC.Kimbrough Explorer
    edited March 2007
    Update on Yoga, Buddhist and English Education
    Projects in Cambodia – March 1rst, 2007

This writer has just finished another thirty - day
    period of doing volunteer work in Cambodia as an
    independent volunteer. The purpose of this posting is
    to give interested parties a status report on that
    work and how it is progressing.

• Yoga and Buddhist classes in the local provincial
    prison – The daily teaching during the weekdays of
    Yoga and Buddhism in the prison has brought me closer
    and closer to the men in the prison and what their
    material, educational and health needs are. In
    addition to teaching Yoga and Buddhism, we are also
    trying to, in whatever little way possible, to meet
    their educational and health needs. This includes
    providing them with whiteboards, whiteboard markers,
    pens, notebooks, English language course books, cream
    to deal with skin problems, mats for sleeping on,
    toilet paper and talcum powder.

An itemized list of the things that we need to
    purchase for the men for the year 2007 is available as
    an attachment or upon request, as are remittance
    instructions for those who wish to make donations for
    this work.

• English language teaching – We continue to provide
    free instruction and assistance to those learners who
    wish to improve their English language ability. This
    is done through one on one teaching and learning,
    short special courses to small classes and formal and
    informal classes for small groups of Khmer learners in
    their homes or at local schools.

• English language teacher training – We continue to
    provide information, advice and training on an
    informal basis to those Khmer individuals who wish to
    become English language teachers in the future. This
    is done in small classes that are done at English
    language centers in the area and in teaching these
    classes, we also provide handouts and other material
    for the participants to take away and study on their
    own.

This writer recently gave six (6) presentations on how
    to become a more effective and efficient teacher of
    English at an international conference of English
    language teachers in Phnom Phem which allowed him to
    meet and network with other teachers and language
    centers in Cambodia.

Our short and long - term objectives at present are:
    • To continue to teach Yoga and Buddhism to the
    prisoners in the local prison while at the same time
    making an effort to provide resources to assist in the
    education and health of the men and women living
    there.
    • To continue to work to networking with organizations
    and people that do similar work in assisting the Khmer
    people.
    • To continue to be of assistance to the English
    language teaching and learning community in Cambodia
    in whatever way possible.

We continue to be in need of donations in order to
    continue with our work and build on it in a positive
    and evolving manner. If you wish to make a donation,
    please look over the remittance instructions which
    have been attached or are available upon request.

Thank you once again for your attention and interest
    in this work.