Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Yoga in public schools

edited January 2007 in General Banter
I read an article on MSN recently about Yoga in public schools. I was wondering what others thought about the argument that is going on over this issue?

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2007
    You mean about it being "religious"? Not surprising. Typical narrowmindedness. I read about one place where they didn't want yoga because it was religious and they couldn't have religion in the schools. The answer? They made a Christian version of yoga! How's that for logic?

Palzang
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Yoga was seen by many Christians as being akin to Hindu 'idolatry' and thus to be avoided. We have had examples over here of groups being denied the use of parish halls.

Over 40 years ago, R.P. Dechanet, a Dominican, published two books on "Christian Yoga" which were my introductions.

There is value, I think, in considering the practice of Hatha Yoga within one's own spirtitual context and using it as a part of practice, just as Buddhism has done with mudras and other aspects.

Why not Christian yoga?
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Where is the religion in Hatha Yoga? I've been practising for 25 years, and I've never heard of any religious aspects to it.

Yogamama?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2007
    I encountered the same situation in teaching Qi Gong in France. People thought it was a cult thing.....They imagined that the meditative, relaxed state meant an affiliaion to a faith they were not familiar with.
    Truth to tell though, the more I taught, the more serene people became,and the more they were receptive to a spirituality entirely manifested and engendered by themselves....

This is how a practice such as Yoga or Qi Gong may be viewed as 'Religious'. But 'Religious' is the wrong term.
    However, peoples' concept of 'Spiritual' is also often flawed. Sometimes, because they simply don't know what it means, they are suspiscious.
  • edited January 2007
    The article said that the lady that brought it to the schools did change it to be Christian friendly and one school has had it in their school for 6 years now. They have seen a great change in ADD kids and ADHD kids and behavior in general.
    A man named Hunt (can't remember his 1st name) says that it does not matter if the words have been changed and their is no chanting etc... That it is still Hindu and that we should not allow Hindu and eastern mysticism in our schools.

Can't find the article again............so that I can quote it or post it............
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2007
    I think that this may be the article you're referring to...

And for my part, I entirely disagree with him.
  • edited January 2007
    Thanks Fede...........yes, that is one of the articles I read.

I totally disagree with him also. It has already been proven that it has been beneficial to children. I just do not understand why there always has to be issues.........
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Because ignorant sentient beings are, well, ignorant. That's the nature of samsara. We can never fix samsara. That's the whole point. We can only fix ourselves.

Palzang
    edited January 2007
    Shame...it would be so good to have a manual..... :crazy:
  • edited January 2007
    Interestring article, Deb.

I couldn't agree more with Baron Baptiste's statement here:

"Baron Baptiste, who owns three studios in the Boston area and practices with his 7-year-old son, loves Guber's program. He said his son takes yoga far less seriously than he does.

"We adults need to be reminded to lighten up, breathe in the joy and have some fun," he said."

Yoga definitely has Hindu roots, but it can easily be done without incorporating the Hindu part of Yoga. Although, personally, I don't think we should mess with that part of it. The guy in the article, saying that it should not be in public schools, makes me mad. Like Deb said, it has proven to be so beneficial to children. What's wrong with explaining Hinduism to your children, and letting them learn about other religions? Some people are just so closed-minded. You never hear these same people complain about the separation of church and state when it comes to Christian issues.

Magwang, there really isn't any "religion" in Hatha Yoga, that's probably why you don't hear it! :) Most Yoga instructors use Sanskirt terms and such, and some may mention God, or the "higher self", and I guess some people refer to that as "religion", when it's really not at all.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2007
    federica wrote:
    Shame...it would be so good to have a manual..... :crazy:

We do, lots of them. They're called sutras and dharma teachings.

Palzang