Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A simpler way, what's stopping us?

2»

Comments

• PöljäPöljä Veteran
    edited October 2015

@silver said:
    Those are interesting thoughts, Polja. I don't understand where you heard that nowadays young children 'don't learn to speak.'? Do you mean that you believe that technology is the cause of young children who don't learn to speak?

A growing number of young children don't speak. Authorities, not me, say that the reason is IT. Here follows the news, try to translate it :) :
    http://yle.fi/uutiset/puhumattomat_kolmevuotiaat_uusi_ilmio__some_varastaa_vanhempien_ajan/8356936

uutiset = news / puhumattomat = speechless / kolmevuotiaat = three years old / uusi = novel / ilmiö = phenomenon / some = social media / varastaa = steals / vanhempien = parents / ajan = time.

• @Pöljä said:
    some = social media, varastaa = steals, vanhempien = parents, ajan = time.

It makes sense and it's probably true, but it's a horrible thought.
    That parents are so involved with their devices, so their children are so starved for attention that they aren't learning to speak.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

In spite of attempts to get this discussion back on track, it has veered too much off topic.

I am also guilty of that.
    Moved. to G.B.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran
    edited October 2015

There's no doubt in my mind that there are multiple reasons for this supposed trend. You should hear the kids that hang around the steps right in front of my door every day. There is non-stop yacking.
    :unamused:

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I use my computer quite a lot. I text my husband when I'm at the grocery store. But do you know by seeing me do that, what the rest of my life is like? Do you know that I and my family spend a whole lot of our lives outside, taking care of animals around us, the land, the water, the trees, and being out amongst it? Or do you judge a snapshot of my life that you just took without really knowing anything about me? Just using myself as an example. it's easy to judge a moment in a person's life without knowing them. I have 3 kids, 18, 13 and 7. Only the 18 year old has a phone, and he did not get one until he got a drivers license. He helps pay for it. But he'd rather be out hiking, swimming, or running than being online. He'd rather be helping people than anything else. It's quite a leap to make assumptions about generations lacking compassion (and the same was said years ago, but I actually see more of it now than I did 20 years ago) based on your observation of people using their devices.

I don't think we can expect all of humanity to do an about-face. Taking one issue out of the man facing us, and people can't agree that it's even a problem, nevermind how to solve it (water shortage and climate change, for example). But even if smaller groups of people made their own communities, they would still influence others around them. Technology CAN be bad, but it's all based on how people use it, and what for. I'm talking the internet, computers etc here, not nuclear weapons. It can also be used for incredible good. Just ask any number of people who have benefited from the generosity of those on gofundme and other such sites. And I don't mean just those that made the news. A friend of mine needed help with something after a series of bad life events she couldn't control. She got the help, from complete strangers because she lacks any family to help her. People do that kind of stuff all the time. If you happen to look to see it. And it's made much more possible now than it was 30 years ago, thanks to computers and internet. She wouldn't have gotten that help 30 years ago.

There are days I weep for humanity. But if I didn't watch the news or read the internet? I'd actually be quite optimistic based on what I see in daily life of the people around me. There is far more good happening than bad. But tragedy and horror is what sells. .

The only thing stopping us (as individuals) is ourselves. Mostly our fear of losing, of giving up something we are attached to. A lot of things we are attached to, things we have been told we absolutely need and thinking about throwing it away is terrifying. But really we should be looking at our lives more from a vantage point of what it will be worth in the end, living the lives we do. our current way of life is looking to leave a disaster of epic proportions. Why doesn't THAT scare us?

mmo
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

@ourself Thought you might be interested in this article, as it is about arguments for getting rid of borders. Compelling.
    http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/10/get-rid-borders-completely/409501/

David
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@karasti said:
    ourself Thought you might be interested in this article, as it is about arguments for getting rid of borders. Compelling.
    http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/10/get-rid-borders-completely/409501/

Thanks.

I don't mind the idea of having borders strictly for a preference of living and in a smaller sense personal space but as a means to distinguish us from the supposed "them" I find it very infantile.

I hear it's Columbus day in the States. I see many claiming the Vikings got here before he did but even before the Vikings came the indigenous people.

People seem to negate the fact that no humans are actually native to the Americas.

• PöljäPöljä Veteran
    edited October 2015

@karasti said:

I don't think we can expect all of humanity to do an about-face. Taking one issue out of the man facing us, and people can't agree that it's even a problem, nevermind how to solve it (water shortage and climate change, for example). But even if smaller groups of people made their own communities, they would still influence others around them. Technology CAN be bad, but it's all based on how people use it, and what for. I'm talking the internet, computers etc here, not nuclear weapons. It can also be used for incredible good. Just ask any number of people who have benefited from the generosity of those on gofundme and other such sites. And I don't mean just those that made the news. A friend of mine needed help with something after a series of bad life events she couldn't control. She got the help, from complete strangers because she lacks any family to help her. People do that kind of stuff all the time. If you happen to look to see it. And it's made much more possible now than it was 30 years ago, thanks to computers and internet. She wouldn't have gotten that help 30 years ago.

The human species and its technology is the main problem of this planet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction

"According to a 1998 survey of 400 biologists conducted by New York's American Museum of Natural History, nearly 70% believed that the Earth is currently in the early stages of a human-caused mass extinction,[50] known as the Holocene extinction. In that survey, the same proportion of respondents agreed with the prediction that up to 20% of all living populations could become extinct within 30 years (by 2028). Biologist E. O. Wilson estimated [20] in 2002 that if current rates of human destruction of the biosphere continue, one-half of all plant and animal species of life on earth will be extinct in 100 years.[51] More significantly, the current rate of global species extinctions is estimated as 100 to 1000 times "background" rates (the average extinction rates in the evolutionary time scale of planet Earth),[52][53] while future rates are likely 10,000 times higher.[53] However, some groups are going extinct much faster."