Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dalai Lama to open temple

edited February 2007 in Buddhism Today
Dalai Lama to open temple
http://www.newdelhinews.net/story/226547
New Delhi News.Net
Thursday 1st February, 2007 (IANS)

Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama will Friday inaugurate a temple in Bihar's Bodh Gaya, the birthplace of Buddhism, a senior monk said Thursday.

The temple is set to draw Buddhists across the globe because relics of the Buddha will be shifted from a temple in Sri Lanka to the new one. Moreover, relics of Buddha's two disciples from Kolkata will also move to the temple.

The Dalai Lama would open the temple Feb 3. 'The holy relics of Buddha from Sri Lanka as well as his disciples' relics would be placed in the temple in the presence of the Dalai Lama,' said a functionary in Bodh Gaya.

The relics of the Buddha were handed over to the Buddhist monks by Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapakse Tuesday. They had been kept in a Sri Lankan temple for decades.

Sri Lanka decided to shift the holy relics to Bodh Gaya because it is the holiest shrine of Buddhism in the world. The Buddha, who was born as Prince Siddhartha, founded Buddhism and is said to have attained enlightenment under the Bodhi tree in Bodh Gaya, about 110 km from here.

The relics will be on public display in Chennai and New Delhi before being brought to Bodh Gaya Friday.

Last year, Bihar had turned down a Sri Lankan government's request to send a casket containing the ashes of the Buddha for public exhibition.

Officials said the casket, kept at the Patna Museum, was too fragile to be transported to Sri Lanka.

Comments

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2007
    This reminds me how important SOUVENIRS —remembrances, tokens, memorials, or relics— are to reinforce or support human memory and emotion. Whether the specific souvenirs or relics are "authentic," or not, there is a human need to venerate them. That worshipping tendency needs to be respected by all. Only a fool would dismiss it offhand, as it can wield great power, especially when skillfully harnessed by persons with selfish, manipulative, and destructive drives.

Part of me wants to say that reliquaries are "UnBuddhist," in that they may reinforce "clinging" to something superfluous. But on the other hand, I see no harm in clinging to the idea that something is very holy.

Also, who knows what power adheres to these things? Working with old people, I have often sensed an "aura," for lack of a better word, surrounding their words and presences. People living over 100 years who still have their wits are truly awesome beings, and have a real power about them if one is not so blind as to see it... As for relics and all that, I believe I have very narrow tunnel vision and believe myself incompetent to judge their value or efficacy.