Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Knowledge and Inquiry

edited March 2007 in General Banter
Hey, guys.

As the title states, the thread today is mainly about knowledge and inquiry(henceforth known as KI). KI is a subject in junior colleges in Singapore, quite a new subject too (don't know about other countries though) and its generally based on epistemology, the construction of knowledge based on the different areas of knowledge. Lessons are cpnstructed such that teachers only serve as mediators to facilitate the discussions during lessons which are styled as an open forum. Selection tests are administered for those interested in taking this subject and only a small number are allowed to take this subject (me and Ajani got in!:bigclap: ). After two weeks of going through the lessons, I must say, it is a refreshing change.

For example, today, our lesson was on the subject of Beauty, what defines it and all. He showed us slides of celebrities such as Nicole Kidman, Oprah Winfrey etc and asked us to define why we actually call them beautiful. And everytime someone cites "opinions" as reason or "higher authority" as reasons, the teacher shoots down those arguments. He then went on to show us two similar portraits of a lady, except that one has the main character as nude while the other fully-clothed. We were asked which lady actually shows more beauty and whatever answers we gave was simply brushed aside with more questions. Most of the time, lessons end as the way they begin - confusion.

Nevertheless, the subject itslef is intricate and enjoyable. Maybe I can also invite Ajani to provide his ow experiences during his KI lessons at his own school.

p.s. wish both of us all the best. Our results ('O' Level) are coming out this friday!

-RaDmaTist

Comments

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2007
    That course sounds amazing! That's a great way to learn and to use your brain.

The BEST of luck to both you and Ajani with the results of your "O" levels!!!
  • edited February 2007
    Likewise - good luck with your results. I did my O-Levels 20 years ago and I can still remember what it was like having to wait for the results!

(I suddenly feel really old now!!)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2007
    First of all, may your results be all that you hoped and not as bad as you feared.

Your KI classes sound a bit like those that we had, seven hours a week, in the second year after 'O' Levels in a class called Philo Lettres. I still have exercise books crammed with my notes from that most exciting year.

Mind you: it sets you up to be a real pain to those in authority!!!!
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited February 2007
    KI's probably the only sane subject in JC which I enjoy. :( Sadly, it's considered "insane" to most people.
  • edited February 2007
    O levels still exist?? baffled

as for subject of beauty.. everyone and everything is beautiful..

recently i found myself staring at nothing but empty shells.. I couldn't understand why.. i released that these ppl don't share their soul and deep feelings with me because im a stranger, simple fact is..

All we get to see of most ppl is their shell.

For someone to share their soul with you require great trust.. and admiration.. love if u want to say it.. u know they don't judge u and will love u no matter what.
    edited February 2007
    Celebrin wrote:
    O levels still exist?? baffled

O Levels, like the Morris Minor, were exported by the moribund British Empire as a way of spreading British values to the 'lesser breeds without the law'. As with the Morris Minor, they survive and flourish in their new home because they offer greater possibilities of flexible adaptation than later 'marques'.

Reminds me of John (Otto) Cleese in Brian:
    " What have the Romans ever done for us?"
  • edited February 2007
    To Celebrin,

Yup, it sure does and its like, the final destination for every secondary student in Singapore. Anyway, my results are out and yea, it wasn't bad. 5A1s, 1A2 and 2B3s which technically means I can remain in my current college and continue taking KI! :woowoo:

Anyway, thanks for all the good lucks everyone :bowdown:
  • edited February 2007
    k :thumbsup:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Congrats, Rad!!
    edited February 2007
    Mine's 1A1, 5 A2, 2B3... Hahas... Unfortunately this may mean I may need to go through the appeal path to continue with my KI...

Dang, why are my A grades all inverse with Radmatist? Hmph! :p
    edited February 2007
    Well done, both of you: you survived!

I am only glad that Saint Peter (or whoever) will not want to know my 'O' Level marks before I enter heaven.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Well done, Ajani! Even if those grades mean you have to go through the appeals process. I think you did brilliantly and should be very proud and relieved that it's over. Good luck with the next process and have as much fun as possible in the learning!!
    edited March 2007
    Well the real posting results are out, and the danging thing now's that I can't continue studying in my same college. Man, I have to leave my friends! That's so dumb - after successfully getting into the school's swim team and having a chance there to take KI, I simply cannot go back in there for anything!

Hahas... Hopefully my new school will be as good. I think I'm a bit too calm or something, because obviously alot of my friends are expecting me to get emotional over the loss of a vacancy in the place I was proud to call "school" for 3 months. Well I guess I should, but then even though I'd know I'd prefer to go back there and study, the appeal's probably not going to take me in. For that, I guess maybe I should just prime myself for a new culture now and treat leaving my ex-college as just like how "I left my secondary school to continue my education path. Big deal." kind of thing.

The funny thing was that yesterday, while I was going back to complete my appeal form, I incidentally bumped into my KI teacher. Well, I did tell him that I was leaving, and perhaps I ought to have asked a recommendation letter from him, too.

Well he was all like "Darn, we hate to lose you." Then he started talking about the HORRIBLE education system, where the provisional entry stuff means having to see people leave... (Well, if our Ministry does not try anything funny, hopefully next year would be the last batch of students who will be provisionally admitted)

And well, I was wondering what could I expect, heck? He's a KI teacher, still. :rockon: Now I hope my present college will allow me to continue my KI stuff...
    edited March 2007
    OK, second setback. That's so damming.

I can't take KI in this new college - been rejected. The KI tutors, after rejecting me once only to have me look them up personally to argue my case, saw that my selection test essay looked a bit more like an ideal A-grade essay for General Paper (which everyone usually takes). Darned, I don't really care - the process of KI is much more valuable than the result of GP.

Too bad then, and I hope that I can be approved to intensify my study in some subjects to be in better shape for a scholarship. Sadly in this college, it's actually not very recommended to.

Adaption, the name of the game!