Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I'm sure this has been asked already but...

edited February 2007 in General Banter
...what Buddhist tradition or lineage do you follow? I don't mean to pry but I want to know cause I occasionally have questions based on things I'm reading and it would be helpful to ask the right person. I read about all sorts, whether it be Tibetan Buddhism (and it's individual sects), Zen (and it's many sects), Nichiren, Pure Land, Amitabha, etc..

So if you wouldn't mind telling me I'd appreciate it... THANK YOU

Comments

• XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2007
    I (sometimes) attend the Tibetan Buddhist Society-so does that make me a Tibetan Buddhist?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2007
    This is the only Sangha I really belong to.... So I follow the Bri-new-bu school....:D
  • edited February 2007
    I am a Nichiren Shu practitioner. I was an SGI member for almost 20 years, and then joined Nichiren Shu 5 years ago after practicing with a small group of friends for a year or two.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Palyul lineage of the Nyingma school of Vajrayana Buddhism.

Palzang
  • edited February 2007
    Attached to no school. Just a wanderer.
  • edited February 2007
    I follow the I teach myself school
  • edited February 2007
    thank you guys for answering so far...

Anyone a Pure Land practicioner?
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2007
    I was looking at a Pure Land temple in town, I just can't understand or appreciate the teachings enough to follow it. Unfortunately putting faith or devotion into Amitabha to solve everything - is just hard for me to grasp.

I tend to follow Zen.

-bf
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Pure Land practitioners who put their head above the parapet tend to take a few wounding shots, unfortunately. Perhaps it is because those few who have 'come out' here have come across as pretty intolerant of other Buddhist tendencies.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Is that true, Simon?

I thought it was the Nichiren Buddhist (not all, mind you, just some that have been here) that yell at others which allows them to absorb the other persons negative karma and allows the Nichiren Buddhist negate and remove that bad karma. Whew!, that was a mouthful!

In my understanding, I thought Pure Land was separate from Nichiren. Plus, the chanting of various phrases is usually done in front of an object of worship - which some Buddhist ways of thinking don't really have "objects of worship".

Talk to me. What is your impression?

-bf
  • edited February 2007
    I follow Soto Zen, the Order Of Buddhist Contemplatives in particular.
  • edited February 2007
    Pure Land practitioners who put their head above the parapet tend to take a few wounding shots, unfortunately. Perhaps it is because those few who have 'come out' here have come across as pretty intolerant of other Buddhist tendencies.
    Simon -

Do you mean here on NewBuddhist? I have spent time on several other Buddhist fora and have not seen much of nything like the incidents you allude to above.........
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2007
    At the moment I'm studying readings in Theravada Buddhism, particularly Thanissaro Bhikkhu and others on Access to Insight but I also study Tibetan teachings, particularly Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche's teachings and those of his students like Pema Chodron. I feel like Chogyam Trungpa is my therapist. lol! I keep my eyes and ears open to all teachings though.
  • edited February 2007
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Is that true, Simon?

I thought it was the Nichiren Buddhist (not all, mind you, just some that have been here) that yell at others which allows them to absorb the other persons negative karma and allows the Nichiren Buddhist negate and remove that bad karma. Whew!, that was a mouthful!

In my understanding, I thought Pure Land was separate from Nichiren. Plus, the chanting of various phrases is usually done in front of an object of worship - which some Buddhist ways of thinking don't really have "objects of worship".

Talk to me. What is your impression?

-bf
    BF -

Pure Land is definitely separate from Nichiren. "Object of worship" is a rather less-skillful translation of honzon; "practice-focus" might be a better term in english.

I'm sorry you all have run into that other flavor of Nichiren Buddhist you describe above. Unfortunately the attitude you describe is not one that I believe Nichiren's teaching supports, but I'm not in charge of all Nichiren Buddhists, so there's not much I can do about it besides apologize for the tradition as a whole.