Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddha, Alzheimer's and Dementia....

2»

Comments

• calmestcalmest Explorer

I think you'd know. You can tell if you do something to relieve an animal's suffering. You'd soon know if Alzheimers sufferers benefited from a meditation session. Given Buddha's exhortation to his followers to exercise compassion by relieving the suffering of all living beings, I find the response in this forum to my suggestion surprisingly cold and indifferent.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@calmest said:> Why not try meditation to encourage acceptance? Wouldn't compassion for their dreadful suffering make us give it serious consideration?

My mum has advanced dementia and even a simple meditation would be completely beyond her. It might be possible for patients in the early stages of dementia, though I'm not sure that meditation would be the most effective approach, given the loss of the ability to concentrate.

I'm very sorry about your mum. No doubt uou know that group music therapy has been successful with advanced sufferers. Professor Paul Robertson, a UK concert violinist and academic who has made a study of music in dementia care, recalls playing for a former church organist with advanced dementia. 'She was very far gone, no language, no recognition. Someone started singing a hymn and this woman sat down at the piano, found the right key and accompanied the singer in perfect order.' (http://www.ageuk.org.uk/health-wellbeing/conditions-illnesses/dementia-and-music/)

Perhaps carefully guided yoga and meditation could also reach through to the sufferer.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Music penetrates the layers of cloud and confusion.
    Maybe meditative music, with verbal commentary giving calming comfort and instruction, may also help.
    I wonder if any of us are in touch with a centre whose aim and focus it is to learn more about Alezheimer's/dementia, and maybe we might suggest the experiment......

seeking_kkaelimcc7
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2016

@calmest said:> Perhaps carefully guided yoga and meditation could also reach through to the sufferer.

Anything is worth trying really, and it's good to hear that work is ongoing. Dementia is a very challenging condition to work with though, it's a perfect storm, loss of memory, loss of identity, loss of motor control.

Thats very nice. It could work. But...I think I've misunderstood - and I apologise. The practice and theory of Buddhism as discussed in this forum is for students to further their studies. My idea of applying Buddhism to alleviate the symptoms of Alzheimers is misguided. If a Buddhist is able to help such a person, it's probably not through the application of Buddhism except in the general sense of being compassionate. Perhaps I should be posting on a yoga site. I apologise for getting up myself.

• @SpinyNorman said:

@pegembara said: Why? Because the Buddha isn't to be found in form, feeling, perception, thoughts, memories.

So where is the Buddha to be found?

The Buddha never existed in that it is a state of awakened truth. It was and is a title. Likewise, the first noble truth is not something to "believe" in or use as a rationale for sickness, loss and grief. It is simply the truth of things. Dharma.

@SpinyNorman said:
    @calmest wrote: Perhaps that is kinder. But my question was whether meditation could help to relieve the suffering of the patient.

I very much doubt it. Meditation would be of more benefit to the patients relatives.

Tonglen might be of help.

• Richard Rose, self-professed and widely recognized as self-realized, got alzheimers. So, apparently, it's quite possible.

BIO: http://tatfoundation.org/bio.htm

Unfortunately, according to the account of his death that I've read, being thought of as realised didn't help him. Reverence seems to have stopped anyone giving him the kind of help I'm suggesting.