Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Advice? A little Help?

edited February 2007 in General Banter
Well I hate to admit it but my practice has been seriously lacking lately. To be quite honest everything (life, work, etc) has begun to feel like the same old thing again. I'm sure it's just a rut but what can I do to get out of it? Any pointers?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2007
    Honestly?
    In my opinion the best thing is to - do nothing.
    Sit.
    Let it be.

Observe, accept and let it go.
    Know that within you is the central core of the Buddha in you...
    It's emerging slowly, like a lotus bud from the tuberous root envelopped in mud...

Just try to be more mindful and aware of your breath...Focus and centre...
    Things, by and by, will return to normal.

Do not adjust your set.
    You are experiencing temporary signal failure, which will return to normal as soon as necessary.

happens to me about once a day..... ;)
  • edited February 2007
    Thanks for the advice Fede.

I just hope that "letting it be" for too long it doesn't go away. Ever since starting on this path I've been a much better and happier person. Peme Chodron sums up how I feel when she talks about shenpa, or being hooked. I feel like Samsara and the norm has hooked me again, I just hope I can take out the hook before it gets to deep.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    It may also be just the normal ebb and flow we all experience. Might be best not to worry about it as that just feeds the flames, as it were. I know what it's like, been there, done that, still do it!

Palzang
  • questZENerquestZENer Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Do something creative. Go to a part of your city you haven't been to; drive in the countryside, walk by the beach. Sit down with a pencil and paper and draw. Pick up the guitar or bass or whatever and play something that sounds and feels good to you. 'Feeling rutty' can also be a big dose of reality, too.

When I'm writing (work), I often look outside my window onto the garden behind my flat. I see the 'tree' outside. It's not particularly old, maybe 15 years old. I often think about that 'tree' doing its thing. Day after day, the 'tree' does all kinds of things--waves in the wind, sits still, flowers, drops leaves, starts new ones. Sometimes exciting things happen, like birds or insects landing on it. For them, it's not a tree, it's a home or a highway to somewhere else. There's no choice for the 'tree'. It's rooted, but it still does--and is--many different things, not just the apparently unitary object English labels as 'tree'.

I don't know if that makes sense or not...

Peace,
  • edited February 2007
    I am so glad you posted this. I have been feeling the same way. Life has been a bit hectic, and my practice has been suffering. I have just been doing my best to still meditate each morning, and that keeps me "grounded". Even if I can only squeeze in about 5-10 minutes of meditating, it certainly helps.

Great advice, everyone. LFA - I hope you are able to get back to your normal practice soon!