Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mysterious wireless connection

SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
edited February 2007 in General Banter
I am currently having an IM conversation with a friend who shares my house. He is currently some 8 miles away, the other side of a range of hills. When he is here, we share a wireless network for access to the Internet.

All this would be of no interest except that, 8 miles away, he is still able to get online using the same broadband access! His friends, in the same room, cannot do so from their laptops but he can.

The world is wondrously mysterious.

Comments

• edited February 2007
    Maybe his built-in receptor is better.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2007
    I'm thinking that someone in the area has the same sort of router that he's picking up on. for example, some people just let their wireless connection default to "linksys" - and then what happens if you run across another open router that is named "linksys"....?

If the router you purchased support over eight miles... I want that router.

-bf