Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Ash Wednesday

SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
edited February 2007 in Faith & Religion
Today, Christians start the forty day season of Lent. It is an opportunity for us to deepen our practice and our focus on walking the Path.

It used to be - and still is, in popular imagination - a time of self-denial, which is not a bad thing in a society which celebrates over-consumption. The Archbishop of Canterbury and the Church of England are suggesting, in addition, that we engage in acts of kindness. They even have a daily SMS text meaasge with a suggestion such as today's "Spend a little time in silence" or "Hug a stranger (who really needs it)". They are calling it "Love Life Live Lent":

Love Life Live Lent

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2007
    Today, I shall have a meat-free day..... :)
  • edited February 2007
    i just ignore all these things, a day is simply a day to me.. adding other means to it, like these belong on this day seems meaningless.

As days don't really exist either do they.. lol.. hours,minutes,seconds.. if you dwell in these you waste a lot of time.

Its like children, they actually believe that pancake day,lent,christmas or w/e actually is Christmas or w/e.. like its a living entity. Its just an amount of time with a label celotaped over by general society.

The point that the only celebrations i know over the year is my own birthday and my dads/april fools b'day and xmas... shows it really..

i have absolutely no clue when half of these days are.. i come into work oblivious to these things and ppl ask me if im having pancakes,or whether ive bought mom a present for mothers day.. all i can ever say is "whens that?.. oh i don't really care"
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Celebrin wrote:
    i just ignore all these things, a day is simply a day to me.. adding other means to it, like these belong on this day seems meaningless.

As days don't really exist either do they.. lol.. hours,minutes,seconds.. if you dwell in these you waste a lot of time.

Its like children, they actually believe that pancake day,lent,christmas or w/e actually is Christmas or w/e.. like its a living entity. Its just an amount of time with a label celotaped over by general society.

The point that the only celebrations i know over the year is my own birthday and my dads/april fools b'day and xmas... shows it really..

i have absolutely no clue when half of these days are.. i come into work oblivious to these things and ppl ask me if im having pancakes,or whether ive bought mom a present for mothers day.. all i can ever say is "whens that?.. oh i don't really care"

I find that sad, Celebrin.

To me, the turning of the seasons and the regular return of the festivals are a constant source of reflection. Noticing how my own 'system' responds to the wider world is always enlightening on how I distract myself. But I think that it is something that we are losing in the urbanised West.

The rhythms by which we live have got longer and longer so that we do not notice them any more. I remember visiting farms in Normandy, as a boy, where the Angelus was still rung, stopping work at noon and six p.m. for a few moments of reflection. We did this in the noviciate, too. The days moved from bell to bell. The regular pattern of the calendar was also a constant as was the precession of the equinoxes. In towns and cities, now, the periodicity has changed, been almost lost.

I do, however, notice that people get worried when the gross signs of seasonal regularity are disturbed. I think that we remain, all unconsciously at times, linked to this movement and its inherent rhythm: it is the music of our lives.
  • edited February 2007
    i just think every moment is, its not christmas or new year or any other.. ppl make it that. Reality is every moment is the same in basics as the last