Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"The Work"

edited March 2007 in Buddhism Basics
Has anyone heard of or read the book "Loving What Is" by Byron Katie? If so what do you think about it? A friend recommended it to me, and so far, I really like it. It seems to follow a lot of the Buddhist teachings.

For those of you interested, or for those of you that have the time, will you check out her website and let me know what you think about it:

http://www.thework.com/ResourceIntroduction.asp

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Sounds a lot like my new employer, The Sedona Method. These programs are really good, I think, for dealing with suppressed emotions that hold you back from really practicing up to your potential.

Palzang
  • edited February 2007
    Oh, great. Thanks, Pally! I am going to check out the site that you sent to me. I briefly looked it over and it looks really good.

I sent you an email earlier today...did you get it?
  • edited February 2007
    im always sceptic of these.. My moms friend did one of the self cofidence ones, and began to think she was better than everyone else and deserved to have a key role in their operatics society.. she became and still is more of a lunatic than before..

when minds taht aren't even vaguely conquered and understand little past their eyebrow begin playing around with themselves it doesn't usually help. But maybe you can use it properly Yoga who knows..
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Celebrin,

If you're septic you need to get to a hospital a.s.a.p!!
  • edited February 2007
    lol skeptic then lol :bowdown: pls dont make me check all my posts for spelling errors :P
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2007
    Actually, celebrin is right....

(UK) sceptic
    (US skeptic)

• noun 1 a person inclined to question or doubt accepted opinions. 2 a person who doubts the truth of Christianity and other religions; an atheist.

— DERIVATIVES scepticism noun.

— ORIGIN Greek skeptikos, from skepsis ‘inquiry, doubt’.

But given that the original (greek) contains a 'K', I guess we Brits are a funny bunch....!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    federica wrote:
    But given that the original (greek) contains a 'K', I guess we Brits are a funny bunch....!

You just figured that out did you? :winkc:

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Ooops! Sorry! I forgot you Brits have spelling issues.

Celebrin,

I'm so glad you're not septic! C'mere, let me give you a hug...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2007
    Palzang wrote:

You just figured that out did you? :winkc:

Palzang

Oh, no, I new that all along... I studied it in my curriculum skedule, when I was at skool...

(We say schedule, as in Shoe, but school, as in scheming....!)

:crazy: :D
  • edited February 2007
    what language we speaking? :-/
    edited February 2007
    English. As the saying goes, America and The UK are two countries divided by a single language - !!

The only objection I have is when we in the UK get words like 'Burglarize' creeping in - when the word is simply 'Burgle'...also, 'categorization' - when in fact, 'to put into a category' is the only current terminology... categorize, categorization, and burglarize.... 'Americanisms they may be, (heard them on a US TV Drama "Diagnosis Murder" with Dick van Dyke) but I can't even find them in a current American Dictionary - !!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    I'm just glad I was born into an English-speaking country because it must be hell trying to learn it! Nothing is logical or makes sense (such as the example you just gave). How you get a pronounciation of "tho" from "though" must totally bend the minds of non-native speakers!

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2007
    It's easier than Scottish Gaelic, though.
    edited February 2007
    Palzang wrote:
    How you get a pronounciation of "tho" from "though" must totally bend the minds of non-native speakers!

Not only that...How about other 'OUGH' words...?!

cOUGH = Coff

dOUGH = Doe

enOUGH = Inuff

thorOUGH = Tharra

thrOUGH = Threw

bOUGH = bow

eetz inuff too draiv yew creizee..... !
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2007
    And how does Pres. (pro tem.) Bush get from "nuclear" to "nucular"?

And why omit the second "i" when pronouncing "aluminium"? In the latter case, a fine poem by William Carlos Williams only becomes rhythmic if the US pronunciation is used.

English, meseems, more than any other of the languages I know, adapts wonderfully to different stess and intonation patterns. Subcontinent English, for example, is beautiful on my ear whereas Geordie, for example, is not.
    edited February 2007
    wai-ay mon, ai knoooow what yer min!

It is said that Americans say 'Aloominum' because the original posters and advertising hoardings actually were misspelled accidentally, and the 'i' was omitted in error..or is that er-rrrr? :D
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    But there is only one "i" in aluminum!

Palzang
    edited February 2007
    Thear shud bee too-woo....
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2007
    When I was in Wales at university there was always someone around ready to pounce on my North American expressions. I remember one word in particular which was a source for great hilarity; "pants" instead of trousers. Oh, and "garbage" instead of trash. People are such funny creatures. That was such a fun time. *sigh* I wish I'd never had to come back here.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    That's what you get for hanging around with whales!

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2007
    lol! If only...!
  • edited March 2007
    Don't forget depending on where you live in the U.S. may depend on what means what.

Here near the south........I've given the example before of Tar - on the road
    Tard - I'm tired
    Tar - tire

Cape Cod........ Cout - Look out
    Sure - is pronounced Sho wa long O

I'm sure the list goes on and on for the whole country.............

Just love that slang don't ya.......lol
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2007
    I want to retar!

Palzang
  • edited March 2007
    This is all too funny.

Deb, this goes back to a conversation we had a while back about the "language" in the state of Missouri. Or should I say

Mizzurah!
  • edited March 2007
    that's good Palzang...........my husband wants to retar too.........lol

YM, Yes, we have talked about this......lol
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Does that mean I'm retard?
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2007
    LMAO!!
  • edited March 2007
    To funny Simon.................lmao

If you lived here and were mentally challenged. Yes, that is what it would mean.........lolol

You would say it something like this...

See dat guy over dare..........he's a retard..........
  • edited March 2007
    Now if you're really tired...........Then you would say.......

I'm ril tard........................