Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Now THAT is an icicle

MagwangMagwang Veteran
edited March 2007 in General Banter
This bad boy fell off the rain gutter. It's 6 feet long and a foot thick and almost went through the window. I put the beer bottle there so you can get a perspective...

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited February 2007
    magwang, you must live reasonably close to me. That's what my yard looks like today. I spent an hour scraping ice off my car, driveway, and sidewalk.

I had a 3' icicle in my backyard, but I think it broke my gutter :(

* needs a beer now. eyeballing the beer in the picture ;)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Are you sure that's an icicle and not one of Brian's extremities that froze off in the lake?

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2007
    Speaking of things big.... how about this for spring-cleaning....?
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Wow! That's incredible!!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, I visited there when I was in Japan. Huge. However, I don't like the statue itself as much as the one in Kamakura (the one you always see pictures of).

Palzang
  • edited March 2007
    Wow that's amazing!
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2007
    okay, is it a Stalagtite or Stalagmite? who knows their geology? hey?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Xrayman wrote:
    okay, is it a Stalagtite or Stalagmite? who knows their geology? hey?

Stalactites grow from the ceiling, stalagmites from the floor.

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2007
    Yep...and we were taught at school that stalagtites cling 'tite'-ly to the ceiling, so they don't fall off....and stalagmites 'mite' grow big enough to touch the roof one day....

Palzang...didn't you think to flick it over with a duster when you were there....?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Actually I just blew the dust off with my super powers. I mean, hey, it's over a thousand years old - it's supposed to look dusty!

Actually the way I remember the difference between stalactites (NOT stalagtites) and stalagmites is that stalactites with a c grow from the ceiling.

Palzang
    edited March 2007
    Yes, but when I learnt my way, I was an unsophisticated little troglodyte who couldn't splel. :D
  • TribesmanTribesman Explorer
    edited March 2007
    Ooh thanks Palzang. As both a geologist and a pedant the 'c' and the 'g' are quite important to be. Actually maybe I should maybe spend less time with rocks.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2007
    have you considered that i was placing an intentional G within the spelling to highlight the fact that I'm part german we like the Stalag.

"Stalactites have to hold on tight" that's how I remembered it also.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited March 2007
    In geology class (in French) we learned les stalactites tombent; les stalacmites montent. In English, of course, we all know that tights ("...tites") come down!
    edited March 2007
    Trust you Simon....Well, we've found 'the level'.... :rolleyes:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Tribesman wrote:
    Ooh thanks Palzang. As both a geologist and a pedant the 'c' and the 'g' are quite important to be. Actually maybe I should maybe spend less time with rocks.

Rock on!

"Pebbles" Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2007
    LOL!!