Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Speaking of cats...

edited May 2007 in General Banter
...with all this talk of cats and stuff I figured I'd pass on a cool story. It's sad in a way but is playing out ok so far...

We recently moved into a house and the people that lived here I guess don't live to far from us, pretty far by foot but not by car. Anyway about a month and half ago, maybe 2 months, a cat came over and wanted to come in. We let him in, I found something for him to munch, some milk and he hung out for a bit. We let him out after quite a few times of trying to open the door for him to get him to do it, but we made him go finally. He started coming by more frequently but we always made him leave after a while. My kids thinks he's cool and so does my wife.

Our neighbor says the cat stops over there sometimes too. We bought it food and a bowl because it came over so frequently. So did our neighbor! :smilec:

He's been by alot lately, and because we have hit single digits in temperature, we've let him stay over a few times. The neighbor found out that the people that lived here own the cat. But it still finds it way here, cause this is where it grew up. He stopped over tnight and I finally took a couple pics of him (see below).... He's asleep on the couch. He came in a while ago, ate, cleaned himself and fell asleep!

ps. Palzang, you always mention chanting in animals ears... I'm trying it with him. He's a good friend so far!

Comments

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Bless his wee heart! He's adorable! Give him lots of love and affection. What a wee darling! I love the stretchy toes in the second photo. SO cute!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Cute. We have an occasional cat visitor as well. One of my roommates used to have a dog which spent most of its time outside. This cat would come by regularly to visit (the dog was extremely non-agressive and seemed to enjoy the company). Then my roommate had to give up the dog because he's got advanced cancer, but the cat still comes looking. I think it lives across the street.

Yes, it is good to whisper mantra in their ears, especially the OM MANI PADME HUNG mantra as that is said to ensure a precious human rebirth for them.

Palzang
  • edited March 2007
    Aww, such a cute cat! We used to have a little visitor from across our street because he ran away from his owners. I don't think he ever went back.
  • edited March 2007
    He is a very good cat, playful most of the time.

I do chant the Om Mani Padme Hum mantra in his ear Palzang, I don't know many others!

Rhidee: Haven't seen many posts from you so welcome to the board, hope you get as much out of it as I and everyone else has!!
  • edited March 2007
    Thanks! It's true, I'm not on here often.. trying to be active though!
  • edited March 2007
    It's a great place to come and hang out, ask questions, seek advice or whatever. I've been on here for a bit now and it has helped me a ton!

Ps. just saw some of your artwork. You have talent!!
  • edited March 2007
    Yeah, it's quite useful to me since I live in a tiny place in the UK where no one really has a religion. I read stuff on here more often than I post lol.

And, thanks!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2007
    I do chant the Om Mani Padme Hum mantra in his ear Palzang, I don't know many others!

Well, if that's the only one you know, then that's quite enough! All mantras carry the essence of all other mantras anyway. Buddha is Buddha no matter how he/she appears, Dharma is Dharma no matter how it looks, Truth is Truth. So that's just fine! And your sentient beings will thank you some day.

Palzang
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited March 2007
    I always suspected that cats loved us only for the warmth and food we offered them.

But here's a really cool cat!

His owners had to move to a different house, and the cat refused to downgrade!

:ridiculously smiling, audacious, people-bewitching CAT smiley:

My greetings, also, to rhidee! And to all British everywhere!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Nirvana wrote:
    I always suspected that cats loved us only for the warmth and food we offered them.

But here's a really cool cat!

His owners had to move to a different house, and the cat refused to downgrade!

My greetings, also, to rhidee! And to all British everywhere!

Something wrong with the link, Nirvana.

Thanks for the good wishes. Appropriate: today is Commonwealth Day. Used to be Empire Day and a school holiday. No wonder they were in favour of Empire!
  • edited March 2007
    What an adorable little cat. He looks so happy and comfy on your couch. Cats really are wonderful.
    edited March 2007
    One of my correspondents has suggested a strategy: ten minutes before I want to type or read, I should pick up the cat and put her on my keyboard or book. I should insist that that is precisely where I want her to sit and keep putting here back. She will, of course, not settle, it being beneath any cat's dignity to accept a place designated for them and enforced. Thus, when I get down to typing or reading, she will avoid my keyboard or book.

Hasn't worked yet but I keep on trying!
  • edited March 2007
    I and all British everywhere greet you back ;)
  • edited March 2007
    We're cat-sitting. This is our new friend Tippy. He's very fat, can't tell in this photo. His belly nearly hits the ground as he walks. But he's really nice, he massages my wife's neck, it's hysterical. He has been decalwed too (I don't agree with it but I he's not my cat).
  • edited March 2007
    Holy poop! The kids and I just got home and Gary Meow (the first cat I posted) came limping to the door. He's got a big sore on his back leg. Should I just put some antibiotic ointment on it? Or hydrogen peroxide?
    edited March 2007

Something wrong with the link, Nirvana.

Thanks for the good wishes. Appropriate: today is Commonwealth Day. Used to be Empire Day and a school holiday. No wonder they were in favour of Empire!

Hey, Dear Pilgrim! Either you never use smileys (probably the case) or you are poking gentle fun at me for writing in blue —or something else.

These cat stories are cracking me up. Please forgive me for alluding to fantasy smileys. That's really changing the topic on my part.

The idea of a cat refusing to move from preferred lodgings is really so telling of its regalness and really princely posture.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Holy poop! The kids and I just got home and Gary Meow (the first cat I posted) came limping to the door. He's got a big sore on his back leg. Should I just put some antibiotic ointment on it? Or hydrogen peroxide?
    Hi, LFA.

I'm sorry to hear about the sore on Gary's leg! Since I'm posting this two days after you asked the question you've probably already done something about it but I thought I might give my two cents anyway.

It's usually not a good idea to use any human medicine on cats since they're so different from us and can have pretty bad reactions to our medicine. If you're financially able to bring him to the vet that would be the best scenario. If not, cats are pretty good at healing themselves. They keep their wounds nice and clean and it will probably clear up on its own. Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get any worse. If you can, keep him indoors. If he's limping badly try to see if there's something wrong with the bone or if the sore goes so deeply it exposes some bone. If not, sit tight and nature will take care of it. If it gets worse get him to a vet if at all possible.

IMPORTANT

There has been a massive recall on cat and dog food as a result of some deaths due to kidney failure. I believe it's limited to canned food and foil wrapped food, the wet kind. It's being suggested that we stick to dry food for now until they can find the source of contamination. Here's a link that lists the foods that are being recalled. This is the cat food page but the link for the dog food is just on the left of the page:

Recalled Pet Food

I'm hoping this wasn't the cause of death for our cat Samantha who was the only cat in our house to get canned food because the dry was too difficult for her to chew and swallow due to her age.
  • edited March 2007
    Hate to admit how slow in the uptake I am: I work at Walmart and have noticed for months that my cats would NOT eat the cat food that I purchased there. Same brand that I purchase at my local grocery store...but wouldn't eat the Walmart cans...except my Lucky. We still don't know what 'kicked in' his illness in January. It started with an unknown fever, and we suspected at the time that his immune system was compromised and that that is what made the feline leukemia kick in...and liver damage is definitely suspect.

If he dies...I'll have him autopsied for a possible link to Walmart catfood issue.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2007
    This is a sickening tragedy, no pun intended. Who knows what crap they put into pet food. I shudder to think....
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Thanks for the tip, Harlan. I have a friend who sometimes buys pet food at Wal-Mart. I'll tell her to stop. Is this related to the recall this weekend of pet food by a major producer from Canada whose product was linked to the death of a lot of cats who ate their product? So far they haven't tracked down the cause.

Palzang

P.S. Why would anyone name a cat Gary?!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Sorry, Boo, missed your post!

Palzang
  • edited March 2007
    People call cats very strange things. I once knew a couple of cats called Huey and Roger. Roger was a mean, black, fighting cat. He only had half an ear. :)
  • edited March 2007
    Yep. We once had an adopted/rescued cat that I couldn't stand (a rare thing)...and I'm afraid that I used to refer to him with less than flattering terms. Came the day that I had to take him to the doctor, and when the nurse asked me 'What is him name?'...I drew a blank. Staring at her...for the life of me...all I could think of was this curse word.

She looked at me, knowingly, and said, 'Let me guess...you don't use his name?'
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2007
    We used to have a really nice gay neighbour, who adored scandalising people, who were more narrow-minded then...he had two cats called 'Stinky-bum' and 'Pissy-knickers'... he claimed they were re-born friends who had died.....the expressions on the faces of his neighbours when he came out of his back door, in the evenings, to call them in for their din-dins, were just priceless!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2007
    rhidee wrote:
    People call cats very strange things. I once knew a couple of cats called Huey and Roger. Roger was a mean, black, fighting cat. He only had half an ear. :)

Well, Roger isn't such a strange name for a fighting cat. Roger, if you'll recall, was the name of the boy in Lord of the Flies who enjoyed killing so much, the one that killed Simon, the one who "sharpened the stick on both ends" prior to the hunt for Jack. I think the name means something like "Master of the Spear".

Palzang
  • edited March 2007
    Thanks everyone for the responses and advice...

The name Gary Meow comes from Spongebob Squarepants, it's the name of his pet snail that makes a meow noise since snails don't really make any sound. My kids think it's funny..
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Palzang wrote:
    Sorry, Boo, missed your post!

Palzang
    LOL! No problem, Palzang.

I think the problem comes from something to do with the wheat gluten they were using at two facilities somewhere in the U.S. In the link I posted you can look up the brands of food affected as well as their product codes and dates to make sure any canned or foil wrapped food you may have at home is safe. But we're sticking with dry food until they find the source of the problem and fix it.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Update regarding pet food recall:
    Here's a link to the latest New York Times article.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Scary, though you have to give the manufacturer credit for not covering it up and instead alerting everybody. Fortunately my friend doesn't use any of the products listed, but she has been buying pet food at Wal-Mart. She was a little freaked at that report!

Palzang
  • edited March 2007
    Update on Gary Meow's wound. He came over again today and it is way worse. The wound is seeping fluids and the paw was triple the size of the other one's. I decided that taking him to the vet is the best bet. They have to keep him over night to drain the fluids and fix the wound. He is very sick from it but I guess I brought him in to the vet in time that he'll pull through fine. Unfortunatly it's going to cost me over $200! I don't mean that in a bad way, because it is definetly helping this cat out, but he is not even my cat, the piece of junk owners left him behind! So I'm a bit irate today at them, because worse could have happened to this poor cat. And it's dipping into my poverty stricken budget to pay this bill, but oh well. The cat will be better and happier so that's all that matters really!

Sorry had to vent a little bit there.......

Morning Update: My wife actually got in touch with the "owners" of the cat. She said they sounded genuinely concerned (even though they abandoned the cat). She (the owner) said the cat had wandered off from their new house and made it's way here. Which is highly possible. But I never once got a knock on the door or saw a poster in the neighborhood saying he was lost. In my opinion they didn't really do much to find their cat. Sorry, more venting, I just think they could have done more if they really cared as much as they say they do!
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Our second last cat died of a suspected poisoning, we went through some big dollars to fix her-all to no avail, she died during the night at the vet's place-we were so upset and so was the vet-she rang e at 2.00 in the morning to tell me Holly had died; I bawled (what a friggin wuss hey?) and so did the Vet! that's what I cal dedication to one's job, she probably sees death on a regular basis-anyway. the final nail in the coffin was when we were given the $580 bill-that hurt but in a different way-through the hip pocket.

the vet asked me if I wanted her to do an autopsy-for another $100 to find out what really happened-but I declined-citing the reason that the cat had gone through enough(strange considering the cat was now dead?-I'm a litte strange perhaps?).
    edited March 2007
    Looking for Answers and Xrayman:

At the high cost of veterinary medicine, it's a wonder that red meat is so affordable.

Quite a noble thing to take a pet to the vet(and especially one not your own).

As for the cat already being through enough without a post mortem exam, you were probably right, Xrayman! Who's to say whether tampering with all those bodily tissues might cause the spirit to linger longer in some sort of limbo? Sometimes you just gotta trust your gut feelings and not feel that you have to cite reasons for how you feel. After all, feelings are direct perceptions and thoughts are derivatory from them.

Care to say more about the poisoning?

-
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2007
    LFA,

Poor wee Gary Meow! I'm so glad you brought him to the vet and I'm doubly glad that he's going to be fine. Thank goodness he came to you. It was a very good thing you did.

Xray,

That's horrible!! And heartbreaking!! My heart goes out to you, Bro. We cry like little babies when our cats die, too.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Nirvana wrote:
    As for the cat already being through enough without a post mortem exam, you were probably right, Xrayman! Who's to say whether tampering with all those bodily tissues might cause the spirit to linger longer in some sort of limbo? Sometimes you just gotta trust your gut feelings and not feel that you have to cite reasons for how you feel. After all, feelings are direct perceptions and thoughts are derivatory from them.
    -

Actually the consciousness of animals leaves their bodies very rapidly after death, unlike humans where it sometimes lingers for a time (even a long time, in the case of ghosts). According to my teacher, that is. I don't have a clue.

Palzang
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Nirvana wrote:
    Looking for Answers and Xrayman:

At the high cost of veterinary medicine, it's a wonder that red meat is so affordable.

Quite a noble thing to take a pet to the vet(and especially one not your own).

Care to say more about the poisoning?

-

Okay here's the deal.

We live on the western side of metropolitan Melbourne (sounds wanky I know) anyway, you could say (to use an Americanism) we live near the bronx (just don't be fooled by the rocks I got-I'm still jenny from the block).

well the western side of melbourne has a lot of "rubbish people" and I mean that in the nicest possible way. Most of us are very nice. however, we lived next door to a wife/child/anyone abuser. he had a gazebo that he converted to an avairy??? somehow he had feelings for caged birds 9although that kind of seems logical-in hindsight).

Our cat NEVER went over the fence-she was kept indoors at night as well. when outside during the day-we always keep our pets within the confines of our fences-(which are wooden 5'8" high)-well one day after he had finished shouting obscenities at his wife and his two-year-old girl-RHiannonnnnnnnnn!) he shouted "that if that Fu***ing cat ever went over his fence he'd F****ng kill it." we thought he was referring to ours, because he knew we had one. anyway I still don't know what provoked that outburst-although he was a nutbag- so should there even be a reason??? We overheard him shouting(as per usual) at a friend of his while having a barbeque, that a good way to poison cats is to dissolve an aspirin into a saucer of milk-problem solved.

my mrs and I came back from shopping one day to find our back door ajar. the cat was missing. we called for Holly until she emerged from what appeared to be the side fence from behind some bushes (perhaps she jumped the fence to see the caged birds?? we still don't know.

that afternoon the cat was salivating excessively and looking very unwell and her coat just sagged on her body she would tend to scrunch up and then pant loudly. then we were off to the vet. after many tests to ascertain anything from snakebite to spiderbite-we have redbacks and funnelwebs and other poisonous spiders in Aus or perhaps she swallowed some other foreign substance. she died.

so we suspect that ...........................expletives galore did it. We moved away from that place about ten years ago. hooray.

cheers! (I'm really happy that his karma will follow him-and get him-he can't avoid that!):rocker:

Xrayman
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Thank you all for listening to my rant-we still think about our two lovely (deceased) cats. we have Tommy (who brigid knows about, and who shares the same namesake and speech pattern! Uhharrrh!).

Holly was a tiger orange-striped cat.
    Jasper (a girl as well) was a grey-white cat

our latest pet Tommy is orange striped- with grey sections interspersed throughout his rear section of fur-we feel that (if there is one) the spirits of both previous cats have inherited the skin of Tommy-we see so much similarities between the three of them it sometimes spooks me!

anything to say about that palzang? -I liked the idea that the spirit had departed soon after-I'm comforted by that post-thanks.

P.s. I still cry like a girl at the drop of a cat, pardon the pun. teehee. (not that there's anything wrong with that)
    edited March 2007
    Only the other night, I dreamed that I had died (!) and was living (!) in a sort of porter's cottage just outside the gates of heaven, which seemed very upmarket, posh and tedious. My lodge had a little vegetable garden at the back and, in front flowers, etc. And all around me, as I was hoeing (yes, there was hoeing to be done and it was fun: that is truly heaven), were cats and dogs, birds and, in a pond, fish, newts, etc. which had all shared time with me in my 'alive' life.

It seemed to me that my job was to tend the garden, welcome newcomers and reassure them. My own reassurance came, in the dream, from hordes of Siamese cats that I had bred and great, lazy moggies who lazed in the sun. My old bulldog bitch, Bonnie, from when I was a child, was there, too.

I woke with that sense of chuckling peace that sometimes comes from such gentle dreams.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Xrayman wrote:
    Thank you all for listening to my rant-we still think about our two lovely (deceased) cats. we have Tommy (who brigid knows about, and who shares the same namesake and speech pattern! Uhharrrh!).

Holly was a tiger orange-striped cat.
    Jasper (a girl as well) was a grey-white cat

our latest pet Tommy is orange striped- with grey sections interspersed throughout his rear section of fur-we feel that (if there is one) the spirits of both previous cats have inherited the skin of Tommy-we see so much similarities between the three of them it sometimes spooks me!

anything to say about that palzang? -I liked the idea that the spirit had departed soon after-I'm comforted by that post-thanks.

P.s. I still cry like a girl at the drop of a cat, pardon the pun. teehee. (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Only thing I would say is that you no doubt have karma with the deceased cats, and we tend to do the karmic dance with such beings, encountering each other life after life - though perhaps not always in the same circumstances! So who knows?

Palzang
  • edited May 2007
    We just got these two sisters from a litter a couple towns over. You can tell we have kids by their names, Itsy & Bitsy!
  • edited May 2007
    That is so cute :D
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2007
    They're adorable!! Congratulations on the new arrivals, LFA!!!
  • edited May 2007
    thanks Rhidee and Brigid... not the best photo of them, maybe I'll try a better on sometime when I can get them to slow down, their crazy! :)