Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Synchronicity

edited March 2007 in General Banter
I was reading a thread from a while back about how sometimes people who are very close saying or doing the same things by coincidence. It made me think about a friend I have at school - even though I've only known her for a couple of years, there are a lot of unexplainable similarities between us.

For instance, we both have the same shape and length scar in exactly the same place on our faces - even though they were caused by completely different things at different times. We were the only two people in the whole of our year to pick the subjects we chose for GCSE (we're in all the same classes.) We often get the same score on tests, even when our answers are different, and - no matter how far away from each other we sit - when we don't know an answer, the guesses we make are often the same. We say the same things without even planning it, and do the same actions without looking at each other. We're friends, but not particularly close ones, so it's not like when best friends 'absorb' each other's mannerisms.

How can we explain these strange coincidences? I'd like to hear your views; this topic is one that's hard to find an answer for.

Also - have you or anyone you know ever experienced this kind of thing?

Comments

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Sounds like two "peas in a pod" to me. Your having similar thoughts at the same time in the same classroom where the same subject is being covered does not sound significantly synchronic to me.

Although what you've described is very interesting, I find it hard to respond to in a directly parallel way, as it seems kinda like a "girl thing." I don't mean to make light of this in any way, but I think it is part of group dynamics that some people "ident-ify" themselves more closely with others —especially females, in that they can be so bubbleaciously gregarious.
    We were the only two people in the whole of our year to pick the subjects we chose for GCSE (we're in all the same classes.) We often get the same score on tests, even when our answers are different, and - no matter how far away from each other we sit - when we don't know an answer, the guesses we make are often the same. We say the same things without even planning it, and do the same actions without looking at each other. We're friends, but not particularly close ones, so it's not like when best friends 'absorb' each other's mannerisms.
    Looking at this from the "outside," it seems not uncommon. I have five sisters and my brightest one has told me many like stories... After all, you live in the same town, have common interests (which account for you choosing and attending the same classes), and your common interests may also include similarities in likes and dislikes, &c.

Please don't read anything dismissive in my post. I believe that anything that brings people together is beautiful indeed. Afterall, one could be focussing on the differences and switching one's nose about in disgust!

Please say more about the coinciding, independently arising phenomena you have observed.

HERE's ONE:
    The other day, at shift-change time, I was so "behind" in my work that I had the thought, "All that's needed now is for the Fire Alarm to go off." I NEVER think that thought at work. Strange enough, the Fire Alarm went off within 30 seconds of my thinking that unpleasant thought.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Are you sure it's not your "invisible" friend you're talking about? ;)

I don't think it's very hard to understand either. We all like to think we're unique and unlike anyone else, but in reality all our minds work essentially the same way, the phenomena we experience are all pretty much the same, so it shouldn't be a surprise when we find someone we're on the same wavelength with. Of course, our experiences are filtered through our own personal way of perceiving things, our own karma, if you will, so that's where the differences come about. It's cool when you meet someone like that because you feel there's at least someone who understands the world like you do. In some past life you may have been siblings or lovers, who knows?

Palzang
  • edited March 2007
    Palzang, when you said this:
    Palzang wrote:
    We all like to think we're unique and unlike anyone else, but in reality all our minds work essentially the same way, the phenomena we experience are all pretty much the same, so it shouldn't be a surprise when we find someone we're on the same wavelength with.

It made me smile, because it made me think of the type of person who always tries to be different. You know the type - they might die their hair a strange colour, or get piercings, or wear strange clothes. Then they think they're really different from someone else. But the truth is, they're just the same as everyone else who is trying to be different, too.

I guess that's one of the reasons why we should always feel compassion and try to help those around us - we're all really the same, even if we are different people.

Hmm. Is this getting too philosophical for the lotus lounge? Oh well :)

Nirvana - That fire alarm thing is something that also makes me think a lot. It's like we shape the world around us by our speech, actions, and even thoughts. Which we obviously do, in a surface way, but maybe it goes deeper than that too. Reminds me of that old myth about someone sneezing and causing a hurricane on the other side of the world.

Wow. This has turned into a different topic from what it started as :D
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Some 15 years ago, I went to a schoolfriend's 50th birthday party.

It turned into a class reunion. A core of us had been in the same class for up to 14 years at the same school. Others had only had seven years or so with us (newcomers!) In all 12 of us met at that party. It was the first time in 30 years that we had met or, in most cases, even had any contact with each other before Caroline tracked us down across Europe.

Of the 12, six of us had qualified as psychotherapists! We agreed that it had to be in order to conceal from ourselves the damage school must have done to us: we all remembered enjoying it! (Typical unfunny therapist joke)
  • edited March 2007
    That's cool. Out of interest, were the other six in completely different jobs, or were they ones using the same sort of skills? I often find that the people who hang out together at school have the same interests and ambitions, but of course many people change their minds or never make it.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2007
    And actually all sentient beings share the very same Buddhanature. So it's not just our classmates, family and friends, it's also bugs, bacteria, some would even say plants and crystals. The equality of all things makes it all the more imperative that we treat them all as equals and as sentient beings who are suffering in samsara. That's why it's so important for each and every one of us to attain enlightenment as rapidly as possible - for their sake!

Palzang
  • edited March 2007
    You know what? You expressed that so well I can't even think of anything to add. So... yes, you're right! :)
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited March 2007