Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Pope Says Catholic Politicians Must Back Church’s Doctrine.

NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `  South Carolina, USA Veteran
edited April 2007 in Buddhism Today
In BOLOGNA, Italy, today Pope Benedict XVI strongly reasserted the church’s opposition to abortion, euthanasia and gay marriage, saying that Roman Catholic politicians were “especially” obligated to defend the church’s stance in their public duties.

In a 130-page “apostolic exhortation” issued in Rome, representing a distillation of opinion from a worldwide meeting of bishops at the Vatican in 2005, The pope wrote: “These values are nonnegotiable.

“Consequently, Catholic politicians and legislators, conscious of their grave responsibility before society, must feel particularly bound, on the basis of a properly formed conscience, to introduce laws inspired by values grounded in human nature,” he added.

Whatever happened to the 1960s, when John Kennedy said the Vatican had no say in American political decisions?

BTW, in another thread, writing about the newly released movie, AMAZING GRACE, I left an url for a site giving information (see below) on the Christian Church's exploitation and torture of innocent human beings for the slaveholders. Indeed, the Roman Catholic Church was still unopposed to slavery until 1888, some 23 years after the ending of the American Civil War. In point of fact, many popes were slaveowners themselves and advocates of enslaving others. Oh, the ever-changing values grounded in human nature.

http://www.heretication.info/_slavery.html

_____

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2007
    It is my considered opinion that Church and Politics should not mix.
    The above illustrates perfectly, why.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Is there actually anyone who cares what the pope says anymore?

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2007
    I'm afraid so... and those who try to 'advance' the cause of catholicism (as the last Pope did) are spoken of highly, but noisy rattles like this one, cause a lot of waves, and undo all the previous good work.... *sigh*
  • edited March 2007
    here in the US there is (or at least used to be) this thing they called "separation of church and state". I don't believe this is in practice anymore though.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Nirvana wrote:
    In BOLOGNA, Italy, today Pope Benedict XVI strongly reasserted the church’s opposition to abortion, euthanasia and gay marriage, saying that Roman Catholic politicians were “especially” obligated to defend the church’s stance in their public duties.

In a 130-page “apostolic exhortation” issued in Rome, representing a distillation of opinion from a worldwide meeting of bishops at the Vatican in 2005, The pope wrote: “These values are nonnegotiable.

“Consequently, Catholic politicians and legislators, conscious of their grave responsibility before society, must feel particularly bound, on the basis of a properly formed conscience, to introduce laws inspired by values grounded in human nature,” he added.

Whatever happened to the 1960s, when John Kennedy said the Vatican had no say in American political decisions?

BTW, in another thread, writing about the newly released movie, AMAZING GRACE, I left an url for a site giving information (see below) on the Christian Church's exploitation and torture of innocent human beings for the slaveholders. Indeed, the Roman Catholic Church was still unopposed to slavery until 1888, some 23 years after the ending of the American Civil War. In point of fact, many popes were slaveowners themselves and advocates of enslaving others. Oh, the ever-changing values grounded in human nature.

http://www.heretication.info/_slavery.html

_____

Hi Nirvy,

did they say anything about the use of altarboys/ girls etc. for sexual purposes? or 'mysterious pregnancies' of nuns and other local girls around catholic churches?

'thought not.

cheers

Xray
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2007
    here in the US there is (or at least used to be) this thing they called "separation of church and state". I don't believe this is in practice anymore though.

In W's world, freedom of religion means you can practice any form of Christianity you want - as long as it's fundamentalism.

Palzang
  • edited March 2007
    From a truly secular standpoint: A Religion or church is just another lobby, so get over it :-P

I still find it embarassing that Buddhism is not an official Religion in Germany, the Austrians made it, we are still marginalized. I like the current Pope, he speaks Bavarian with a German accent. just like me, although I am afraid I won`t convince him to support German Buddhists in the cause to be equally recognized like the catholic church. But hey, that man made look Habermas and all other postmodern "philosophers" look stupid, andfor that I praise him:)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited March 2007
    fofoo wrote:

I still find it embarassing that Buddhism is not an official Religion in Germany,

The present Pope, like his predecessor, does not consider that Buddhism is a religion. Perhaps he is right.
    edited March 2007
    If anyone wants to read what the Pope actually wrote, here is a link:
    Scaramentum Caritatis

It is lo-o-o-ng!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2007
    The present Pope, like his predecessor, does not consider that Buddhism is a religion. Perhaps he is right.

Well, I'll have to give him that one. I don't consider it a religion either. This also relates to the other thread on fo guang (or whatever it is) about the way lay people in Asian countries relate to Buddhism, making it very much a religion and thus missing the basic message, imho.

Palzang
  • edited March 2007
    Wait a minute! Are we forgetting that the Dalai Lama is a Head of State, in exile albeit?

And Simon, could you please point out to us where to find any mention of Buddhism in that long papal document you linked to?
    edited March 2007
    VWP,

Pope Benedict does not, as far as I can see, mention Buddhism in his exhortation. The subject is the Eucharist.

The matter of non-Christian religions has been addressed elesewhere. If you want me to, I shall search the references.
  • edited March 2007
    Well, now I see that I misunderstood. They are seperate comments. You are providing us with a link to the document which mentions the politician thing.

I am still in the dark as to why you say he or JPII did/do not consider Buddhism a religion.

And to make my own comments seperate as well, a repost of:
  • edited March 2007
    Wait a minute! Are we forgetting that the Dalai Lama is a Head of State, in exile albeit?
    edited March 2007

I'm not sure that he is head of state. He has certainly handed over the government to an elected group.
    edited March 2007
    Well, now I see that I misunderstood. They are seperate comments. You are providing us with a link to the document which mentions the politician thing.

I am still in the dark as to why you say he or JPII did/do not consider Buddhism a religion.

And to make my own comments seperate as well, a repost of:

Both JPII and the then Cardinal Ratzinger are quoted as having excluded Buddhism from their definition of a 'religion' because it was, in their terms, 'atheistic'. This caused real trouble when the Pope visited Sri Lanka , despite his obvious reverence for Buddhist monks.

My own view, as one who is far from a fan of much of JPII's pontificate, is that Buddhism was very important to him. He met HHDL on a number of occasions. By denying it the status of a 'religion', he could embrace much that is Buddhist without thereby compromising his position as Catholic tradition-holder. This is not to say that he was any more hypocritical than any of us. He was an extraordinary individual, deeply flawed, perhaps, but inspiring none the less.
  • edited March 2007

Both JPII and the then Cardinal Ratzinger are quoted as having excluded Buddhism from their definition of a 'religion' because it was, in their terms, 'atheistic'. This caused real trouble when the Pope visited Sri Lanka , despite his obvious reverence for Buddhist monks.

My own view, as one who is far from a fan of much of JPII's pontificate, is that Buddhism was very important to him. He met HHDL on a number of occasions. By denying it the status of a 'religion', he could embrace much that is Buddhist without thereby compromising his position as Catholic tradition-holder. This is not to say that he was any more hypocritical than any of us. He was an extraordinary individual, deeply flawed, perhaps, but inspiring none the less.

Actually, Paul II made some assertions about what he thought was Buddhism in his interview with Vittorio Messori. The relevant part, which is I think part of a book can be found here: http://www.tcrnews2.com/Buddhism.html

I read that most people who attacked the pope for his interview actually were not Buddhists, at least not Asian, and that a Sri Lankan monk defended Paul II saying it is his good right to critizize Buddhism. Personally, I think the Interview is worth thinking about although it seems to simplify both Buddhism and Christianity. Especially his sect, the catholics, has a long tradition in being hostile towards the "flesh" and the "world", that the overworldy aim is called God instead of nihil does not change that fact. (Not disputing about existence of God here, merely pointing out to the worldly results. My grandma was a strong believing catholic and she really was a kind of ascetic, regarding eating too much, most things about sex and much more as a sin and she could get very upset about these things:) )

As a person, I liked Paul II, he seemed to "transmit" good will wherever he appeared.

Regards
  • edited March 2007
    don't mean to sound biased.. but the popes a bloody moron lol, he has no understanding, a lack of compassion.. (i probably share that a little).. and he don't understand what names are.. let alone his own beliefs.

thats my personal opinion anyway.. lol

plp should always challenge things.. the pope asks ppl to blindly believe in stuff.. which isn't true belief.. which to me .. means he understand less about life than me.. lol

its true i think that you can critise and challenge others as much as you want.. but understandings quite different isn't it.

the popes words spread further than mine.. and he has an image that matters to many..
  • edited April 2007
    Well you see, JPII did say it was a religion. Thank you Fofoo.

from the link povided by Fofoo:
    Among the religions mentioned in the Council document Nostra Aetate, it is necessary to pay special attention to Buddhism, which from a certain point of view, like Christianity, is a religion of salvation.

Nevertheless, it does seem as if he misunderstood Buddhism.
  • edited April 2007
    I have the same authority as the pope. I just have fewer people who believe me. ---George Carlin
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Do Catholic Politicians have to suspend their beliefs in Limbo?

The Church just changed the derned doctrine. Now where are all those unbaptized babies and Socrates and Plato going?

I'm gonna MAKE my Catholic politicians take a STAND. :rocker:
  • edited April 2007
    I am just in bewilderment when contemplating the deliberations that occured to come to this decision. I must wonder just what kind of evidence was presented to reach this kind of conclusion.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited April 2007
    I am just in bewilderment when contemplating the deliberations that occured to come to this decision. I must wonder just what kind of evidence was presented to reach this kind of conclusion.
    Ditto.

A salient difference between the Eastern Church and the Western Church is the pesky Western OBSESSION with explaining everything. That can become explaining everything away.

Take the Roman Catholic doctrine of Transubstantiation. The (Western) Roman Catholic Church teaches that Bread and Wine are transformed materially into the actual Body and Blood of Jesus Christ, although their appearances remain the same as before the Eucharistic Consecration. Now, to the Eastern Churches, this is a wholly unnecessary doctrine which awkwardly usurps the mystery with a narrow explanation.

The doctrine of Transubstantiation misses the mark entirely for the mystical believer, for whom the PURPOSE of ALL BREAD is to become the Body of Christ.

Now, whether the Roman Church says Limbo never existed or existed until 2007 AD, I don't much care. They are certainly undermining their credibility and strength. Perhaps that is a good thing.

God bless them, anyways!
    edited April 2007
    By some of you, the Catholic Church has no chance of getting anything right. If it changes in the light of new information or thinking, it is betraying its millennial stability (a myth in any event) and if it sticks to its beliefs it's mediaeval.

As for the question of slavery, I have continued to admire the US experiment despite the fact that some of the founders were slave-owners and not very nice to their slaves. Presidents have been liars. adulterers and wife-beaters. Still doesn't invalidate the great democratic experiment.

When it comes to priests/ministers giving instructions to politicians, we get all het up when they don't speak out on ethical and moral issues but condemn them when they remind the political class that there is a higher duty than getting votes. I didn't notice any shortage of sermons aimed at candidates at the last Presidential election.

The same double-think applies in the UK, just so that you understand that this is not an anti-US rant. We have had Prime Ministers who would attend church, spout morality and then go back to their adultery or lying. It would make a pleasant change to come across a top politician who has not compromised their principles for the sake of office or votes, but the search, started by Diogenes, is still going on!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2007
    I still say that the number of angels that can dance on the head of a pin is 6x10 to the 23rd.

Palzang