Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

In case anyone is interested...

JasonJason God EmperorArrakis Moderator
edited April 2007 in General Banter
It looks like I'm moving to Portland, Oregon!

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Shouldn't someone warn them first?

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2007
    Batton down the hatches! Man the lifeboats!! Women and children first!:eekblue: :lol:
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited March 2007
    Oh, it couldn't be any CLOSER to home, no... It had to be JUST AS FAR :p

California, Oregon, it may as well be Turkmenistan or Mars for all I can get out there to see you guys!

Congrats anyways! :p
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Beautiful city and so close to so many spectacular vistas. Everyone should move there for a year or two.

I'm envious, but am going to Portland myself in early May to see my aunt.

And don't get me started on the Oregon coast and its hospitality and great State parks and camping sites..

Best of regards, young man!

Nirvana

-
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited March 2007
    Palzang, Fede,

You two... *sigh*

Brian,

If it makes you feel any better, I am thinking of coming to Michigan for an extended visit before I settle down and get a job in Portland. Plus, if I get a place with two rooms you can come and visit me for a few days.

Nirvana,

Thank you!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Jason,

Even your travels teach me, dear teacher! I knew nothing about Portland Oregon until now. I'd heard the name, of course, but it was just 'some place over there'. Now I am becoming fascinated: a city of roses famous for its beer and with a Chinese Garden. And a temperate climate. Although this info comes from Wikipedia, I would never have thought of looking had you not been moving there.

May one ask what takes you there if it is not a job?

I see that there are quite a lot of local Buddhist groups. Do you know them? Is there one which fits you just now? Or are these just plain nosy questions?

May any powers that may inhabit this universe of ours assist you in your relocation.

With many hugs,
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2007
    Jason,
    I see that there are quite a lot of local Buddhist groups. Do you know them? Is there one which fits you just now? Or are these just plain nosy questions?
    May any powers that may inhabit this universe of ours assist you in your relocation.

With many hugs,

Yuh. Actually, I second all of that.... ;)
    edited March 2007
    Simon, Fede,

Well, I originally moved to Santa Cruz, California in order to live with Annie (who is my girlfriend of three years now) while she was attending UCSC. She graduated from UCSC last year, and was just recently hired by a company that she applied to in Portland, OR. I moved so that I could be with her.

I have not had the chance to really check out any of the Buddhist groups here, but I did write to one that is associated with Abhayagiri (a Theravada temple in the lineage of Ajahn Chah). When we find a place to live and get relatively settled here, I will stop by for a visit. And no, I don't find these questions nosey.

Thank you, I'm going to need it!

Best wishes,

Jason
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2007
    I'm wishing you a simple, efficient, happy, and problem free relocation to beautiful Oregon, Jason.

(And speaking of Buddhist groups, I have found a monastery an hour and a half away from where I live called Tisarana and the abbot is Ajahn Viradhammo and it's also in the lineage of Ajahn Chah. I also found the Ottawa Buddhist Society 45 minutes by train from where I live from the same lineage. I've been doing some research on both the monastery and Society and this looks like the way I'm going to go. I'm very happy to have found them, and so close to where I live! I'm looking forward to my first visits and my first live dhamma talks and meditation sessions with others on the path. Finally...a place where I may find guidance.)

So again, happy relocating! Starting new is always a good thing, isn't it? I love a fresh start.
    edited March 2007
    "When the Pupil is ready, the Teacher appears"......
    edited March 2007
    Our fourth day in Portland was greeted by an endlessly grey sky for the majority of the day—a seemingly sympathetic sky that mirrored the creeping sadness in my heart with its blanket of cold and silent raindrops. While my spirits were high at the beginning of our journey, they quickly fell when the stress of moving, trying to find a place to stay, and my ever-charming pessimism all set in at once. It seems like no matter where I go I always end up feeling as if I'm trying to sneak my way into an alien civilization without being noticed. It's hard to explain. I know that I don't want to fit in, but I know that I don't want to stand out either—I simply want my own niche in life where I can feel comfortable just being me.

My mind has a curious habit of stirring itself into a frenzy of erratic, fearful, and generally oppressive mental states whenever it encounters what it perceives as a stressful situation. Moving to a new city once again has truly tested the limits of my practice, and I have discovered that I have a lot more work ahead of me. It seems that the more out of place I feel, the more my mind grasps for mental and physical objects to cling to or obsess over. It has become easier for me to see the allure of these objects as well as their drawbacks, but the escape continues to elude me. My mind is in a state of turmoil, and while I know that my craving is responsible for my suffering, I just cannot seem to let it go.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Dearest Jason,

Oh how I know what you mean! "A stranger in a strange land" sums it up for me when I am (as now) going through yet another episode of (?) depression. From the height of my few years, I can see how like the tide it is: it comes and goes, obeying its own laws and, at root, physical. It is both 'endogenous' and reactive. When both combine, there is a 'spring tide' which used to overwhelm me.

Moving house is bad enough - and I hope to have that coming in the next 12 months to solve my financial problems - but changing cities is the proverbial straw. When I moved here from London to be with my beloved, it nearly destroyed my relationship and has left me with a terrible strain with my stepson, although we understand it better now he is an adult.

Our practice is meant to ease all this and, when I am not drowning, I can see that it does. The problem is the old one of the swamp and the alligators. All we can do, I think, is carry on carrying on. The more solidly-based the practice, the less the waters creep in. It is at times like this that I revert to the simplest and quietest despite the way my limping mind whispers that all is useless.

In my own calendar, this is Palm Sunday, a day of happiness and rejoicing but...... even here, because we know the rest of the story, it is a symbol that even the happiest monents, the cries of triumph, will pass away and pain will come again. And then, pain over, there will be bright days again. The promise of the Third Noble Truth is that there is a way out, however unlikely that may seem just now.

Here's my hand, across the miles between us, dear brother.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Hi, Jason.

I used to move from city to city every 3 to 4 years and it can be really rough. My heart goes out to you. As Simon said, this is impermanent and will pass. It sounds to me like you're using the experience for practice and that's the most important thing you can do. I know it sucks when our limitations stare us right in the face but it's essential, as you know. Painful and essential. The sun will come out soon and give you some relief. Don't obsess. Sometimes the mind needs a rest too. You'll find your way soon. In the meantime I'm thinking of you and sending my deepest wishes for peace and happiness.

Love,
    Boo
    edited April 2007
    Simon,

I know exactly what you mean. Thank you.

Brigid,

Thank you for your kind thoughts and words.

Love,

Jason
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited April 2007
    Jason,

none of it is your fault.

-B
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Anytime. Keep your chin up.