Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I got asked to write an article...

edited April 2007 in General Banter
...for an online zine. Here's a description of the site by the people that run it....

"theworsthorse.net-- a webzine that looks at how pop-culture, subculture and Buddhism (and/or meditation) do or don't mix."

It's a fun site I think. Lot's of people frequent it. Anyway, the guy that runs it saw how much I really loved metal music, and saw I was also trying to practice and learn more about Buddhism as I'm still very new to it. We talked about some things and ideas. I came up with a new one earlier today and it grabbed me, I hadn't come up with anything that was "inspiring" me yet so this was awesome. It was fun to write and I hope I get the chance to show you all. I think he might edit it, maybe not. Either way go easy on me if you read it. I'm not sure if it'll be your cup of tea but it has to do with heavy metal and Buddhism. I try my best to relate the two in my eyes....:hair:

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, I'm familiar with the site, LFA. I find a lot of it kind of ho-hum or silly, but some of it is quite good and a refreshing alternative from the oh-so-serious sites. Like their Dharma tattoo pix...

Palzang
  • edited March 2007
    I like the site alot. Like you said, it's pretty silly, more tongue in cheek than a serious website on Buddhism. It doesn't poke fun or anything, the people their just have fun with what they do.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited March 2007
    Congratulations, LfA! Any writing gig is good news :)
  • edited March 2007
    Thanks Brian. I can't wait to show you guys the article. Hopefully I hear back from the Worst Horse soon and that the article hits the web soon. It was a ton of fun.

I used to run a small metal webzine and did reviews, interviews with bands and all sorts of other stuff. I loved writing but fell out of it for a while....
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2007
    That's great, LFA!
  • edited March 2007
    woo hoo, the editor got it and said he liked it. He has a couple ideas to revise it a bit so we'll see where it goes from here. Hopefully we can crack it out and get it posted soon. I'm itchy to post it, I've been done with it since Saturday!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Yaaayyyy!!!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Kewl.

-bf
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Brian wrote:
    Congratulations, LfA! Any writing gig is good news :)

Yea, that is, when they friggin' decide to pay you for it EVENTUALLY.....still waiting for payment for a published article i wrote in july 2006, got accepted in August, printed inthe Dec/Jan issue....still waiting.....:grumble:
  • edited March 2007
    Xrayman wrote:
    Yea, that is, when they friggin' decide to pay you for it EVENTUALLY.....still waiting for payment for a published article i wrote in july 2006, got accepted in August, printed inthe Dec/Jan issue....still waiting.....:grumble:

Have they even been in contact with you lately Xray or are they outright avoiding you?
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited March 2007
    As far as I can see, actually paying us for our work is pretty low down on publishers' list of priorities! Good luck, Xrayman.

I'm waiting to hear from a couple of publishers about my book project [current working title It's Only A Finger, Stupid (OAFS for short)]. They seem in no hurry and I doubt if the money will make it worthwhile. Good thing that isn't what I write for.
    edited March 2007
    Xrayman wrote:

Looks like Grumpy Grumperson woke up on the wrong side of the cave this morning!

JK - Xray - I hope you hunt those suckers down and MAKE them pay.

In a very Buddhist, pacifistic, non-violent sort of way.

-bf
  • edited March 2007
    WOO HOO! The editing is done and so is the page it'll appear on. This piece came out alot better than I had hoped, the editor did a great job cut, pasting and switching things around. I'm surprised it was my writing after he was done. I'll post it, and a link, as soon as he does. I'll plop it into the "Articles, Bits and Bobs..." section though, it'll probably fit better there!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited March 2007
    Congradulations!
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited April 2007
    I sent a polite email last friday-a reminder -if you like. The assistant said she handed my details over to the editor....I suppose (surprise surprise) I'll have to wait a little longer!

still waiting for some COLD-HARD-CASH:rant:

BF yes, it's grumpy Gruperson here-hey mate when was the last time you put down some hot wax and the 'man forgot to fork out the dough? perhaps I'm not the only one who doesn't get paid on time. hope you are doing well Mick.
    Hey they may be laughing behind my back-but I'll just keep oiling and reloading....hehehe

LFA-good news!

Simon-I see, you get shafted as well!
    edited April 2007
    Dude,

I can't remember the last time anyone paid me for anything! Much less some "hot wax"....

-bf
  • edited April 2007
    the article is now online. I started a new thread for this but figured I'd put it here too...

http://theworsthorse.net/nated/nated-1.html
    edited April 2007
    Kewl.

Thanks for posting... I'm reading it right now.

-bf
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited April 2007
    here's an update to the whole "not being paid on time dilemma" well they sent me a reply saying that I should write them an invoice asap so that they can pay me ,oh and BTW, "make it quick" because THEY need invoices sent on time otherwise taxation gets on their case-GIVE ME A FRIGGIN BREAK!

oh well, I sent them the invoice-heres to waiting AGAIN!
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited April 2007
    p.s.

Does the flag-waving smiley look wanky?