Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Share my Daily OM

I subscribe to Daily OM and found this article interesting. Wanted to share and get your opinions.

Article here

I do however feel that just offering a blessing as you pass doesn't quite get it. What I mean to say is, I certainly can't help all the homeless (money, food, etc) but is just saying good luck or best wishes enough? Just curious as to what ya'll have to say or your opinions.

Jackie

Comments

• edited March 2007
    Hello Pnutbuddha,

if I might offer you my humble opinion:

The lesson I got out of Buddhism for me, is that the focus is on intention. Giving a blessing or a smile to a homless might look useless at first look, when one takes the maybe naive position that only material needs matter. But, on the second look, it helps us to cultivate good will towards them, and they also might rejoice when they recognize someone cares about them, does not reject them and are not hostile towards them. i believe a great deal of the homeless ended up there because they just broke emotionally at some point. But even if I am wrong and it will not show any effect on them, it at leasts helps you to cultivate good will towards all sentinent beings!

Regards
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Having worked, locally, with a Church Army officer, I have come to understand that even if we have no money or other 'alms' to give to those who are destitute and homeless recognition is very important.
  • edited March 2007
    Perhaps it is my own feeling of guilt that I cannot help them that leads me to feel "ashamed" if all I can give them is a smile or hello. I don't know, I suppose my journey and search to better myself will eventually help me to get over all the guilt?

Always searching
    Jackie
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2007
    When His Holiness Kusum Lingpa visited our temple in Maryland some years ago, he made it a point to visit downtown DC where he spent a lot of time talking to homeless people and giving them blessings. It was quite a lesson to me. I've spoken to some of the homeless people in DC, and it's quite an eye-opener. Some are amazingly intelligent and educated, just choosing to live as they do because they don't want to live the American "dream" (and who can blame them?). I remember one in particular, a black man dressed in little more than rags but somehow possessing a kind of nobility, who immediately recognized my robes as those of a Tibetan Buddhist monk. He obviously wasn't a wino, druggie or mental patient. So you can't always tell a book by its cover.

I also followed my teacher the day after we arrived in India in 1996. We stayed in Mumbai (Bombay) for a few days, and the first day we went for a long walk. She would give money to some of the beggars that littered the streets, but not all. In fact, there were a group of three boys, two of whom were actively begging while the other hung back, and she gave money to the one not begging. It was also a very good lesson.

I'd say give them a buck or two if you can afford it and if you feel they won't immediately spend it on booze or drugs. Even more important, don't be afraid to spend a minute or two talking to them. It won't kill you!

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2007
    When I was in my early twenties and going out to the bars with my friends in downtown Montreal I used to get very bored with their conversations about business and trading and so forth so I'd go out for a walk and a bit of fresh air and almost always end up sitting around with the homeless people that hung around downtown. I got to know some of them pretty well and got lectures on history, art, music, literature and various other topics from them because almost all of them were accomplished and successful professionals at one time. I even met a stockbroker but luckily he hated his former profession so I never had to hear about it. lol! There were people with Bipolar Disorder, Touret's Syndrome and Schizophrenia. Alcoholism and drug addiction. Phds and Masters degrees. Some were titans of industry and some had suffered from untreated depression for so long they eventually lost their way. But they all had stories, sometimes fascinating stories, and listening to them enriched my life. In fact, when I eventually made my way to university I chose some of my essay topics based on some of those conversations. For Medieval History 202 I wrote a paper about the Moors because of a story told to me by one of my homeless friends. I read Jane Austin on a recommendation from another. (I love Jane Austin.)

Short of sitting on the sidewalk chatting with homeless people, there are many ways to show you care and the simplest way is to look them in the eye and offer a sincere smile. Or you could buy some of those fleece blankets that are inexpensive, lightweight but very warm and make a gift of them. Can openers, handkerchiefs, paperbacks and packaged foods also make good gifts.

I once befriended a homeless man in the city where I went to university. I used to see him around town a few times a week and we'd sit at the park or the bus stop and talk about our lives. He had a mild form of schizophrenia but had taken to huffing (inhaling chemicals like modeling glue and aerosols) when he was a teenager and pretty much fried his brain. But his mental illness and drug abuse hadn't hardened his heart because he gave me a huge bag of groceries from the food bank one day when I was having trouble getting my student loan sorted out and I was really broke. You should have seen what was in it. There was bread, cereal, milk, a dozen eggs, cheese, crackers, smoked salmon (yes, smoked salmon from the food bank!), apples, grapes, lettuce, cucumber, macaroni and cheese and a bunch of other stuff. Oh, and bacon too. It was awesome! I was so grateful and I bet he felt great being able to help me. I'll never forget that day. What a guy. I eventually lost touch with him because I moved out of that city but I'll never forget him. He taught me about dignity and generosity no matter what circumstances one finds themselves in. You just never know who your teachers are going to be.
    edited April 2007
    When I was working in Cricklewood, about as far from Hollywood as it is possible to get, in north London, we had quite a number of rough sleepers around. I used to have my breakfast with some of them and, in particular, one. He was an elderly man, very muffled up and grumpy. It turned out that he had been a university lecturer in philosophy, with a number of books to his name. At the age of 45 he had developed claustrophobia to the extent that he could no longer stand being indoors at all. He lost wife, children, job, home, everything and was now living on the streets.

He taught me a lot and, although I understand and sympathise with Palzang's view, " I'd say give them a buck or two if you can afford it and if you feel they won't immediately spend it on booze or drugs", this wonderful, if difficult, man showed me that, even though he might spend money in ways that appear self-destructive, such judgments are not mine to make. After all, as he said, we give money to children to buy sweets ("candy" for North Americans) which rot their teeth and make them fat, whilst a can of Special Brew or a small deal may relieve a greater pain than a craving for sugar.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2007
    I've gone round and round in my head with that question over the years, Simon. The final thing that decided it for me was the way in which my sister would give her gifts. Every birthday and Christmas I'd receive a gift from her with detailed instructions on why, how, when, and where she wanted me to use it. For example, if she gave me a doll she'd tell me what I had to name her, where I could and couldn't bring her, and that she was to be right beside me at bedtime when I was saying my prayers. Every gift came with strings and conditions and I eventually got so fed up with it that I decided last year (I know, a little late in life but better late than never) that I would never attach any string or condition to anything I gave as a gift. I would give it freely and without condition and the recipient could do whatever they wished with it.

Which reminds me of another homeless man story. When I was living in Montreal in my early thirties I was standing in line at the bus stop when a homeless man made the rounds asking the people standing in line for money. Now, I have to admit that I almost always give people money when they ask me for it unless I'm honestly broke. This particular day I only had a bit of change in my pocket and no other cash but I had enough for the bus and I was on my way home so I handed the man the small bunch of change. He looked at it in the palm of his hand, jiggled it around a bit to see what kind of coins were in it, swore at me in French, and threw the change into the street! Now granted, it was made up primarily of nickels, dimes and pennies but it was all I had although he clearly thought I was holding out on him. I was so mad I almost ran after him to give him hell but I didn't want to lose my place in line and the bus was coming anyway. But was I ever mad! Although I say now that I would not attach a single condition to a gift I was giving, I'd probably still get pissed off if it was thrown into the street with disgust and contempt. lol!!
  • edited April 2007
    Locally, we have a 'begging ring' that has been operating for the past few years. Right here, in affluent USA. Laden with signs that say 'homeless vet', or 'homeless mother'...the signs and look of the people who simply stand at intersections next to the stoplights (no overt begging) are elicited to work on our sense of guilt. (Yes...it is a ring. The local police have investigated...the stories are lies...the 'vet' has no military service...but there is no local ordinance to stop this activity.)

Rain or shine....in the most awful weather...they stand there. On one particularly hot day, it was my car that ended up next to the 'vet' at the stoplight. In these days of plastic, I literally don't have any cash on my person. I rolled down my window and said, 'I have no cash...but will you take a bottle of water?'. He did.
    edited April 2007
    During our stay in McLeodGanj, we got to know the beggars quite well. Mothers would stand holding their young children, asking for money. It became my habit to carry fruit, which I gave to the children. I would buy them the occasional bowl of dhal, too. Although we, as Europeans, were rupee-rich, there would be no end to the demands on our limited funds. As we got to know the individuals, of course, we found some who really needed cash.

It was genuinely heart-warming to walk down into town and be greeted by beggars who had become friends. One day, Jack (age 11) wandered into town before me. As I walked in, I was given directions to find him along with the daily namastes. I miss these kind people who are trapped in poverty but who are free with their smiles and gentle humour.
  • edited April 2007
    Offering a blessing is all that some people can do, and I agree that it does help. I don't see too many homeless people, but when I do see some, I like to offer a blessing and I always feel some compassion for them and wish them well. I think that goes a long way!
  • edited April 2007
    by the way, I love that Daily OM site! I signed up.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2007
    My teacher actually taught about this once. She told us how on her first trip to India she was in a taxi and saw all these people begging. She could see how they were dressed in rags and were in poor shape physically, so she felt moved to give them money, anything to try to help them. Naturally her taxi soon became mobbed, and no matter how much she gave out, there were always more needing help. Finally the taxi driver turned to her and demanded she stop giving out money. He told her that no matter how much money she gave them, she could never meet their needs nor solve their problems. So she saw the wisdom in that and realized that the only way for anyone to truly help these people was to attain enlightenment so that one could truly be of benefit to them.

Of course, one feels compassion for people like that. Some do it because they have no choice. Others do it, like Harlan pointed out, as a scam, often an organized scam. I remember in Mongolia there was a clique of young boys and girls who hung out in front of the State Department Store, just a couple of blocks from my apartment. They were always begging money, day after day, and were experts in putting on a soulful, pleading expression. One day I saw one of the older ones, who seemed to be the leader, giving money to an adult who obviously was the pimp, or whatever you want to call him, like Fagin in Oliver Twist. That pretty much confirmed what I had suspected, this was just a scam. There used to be lots of street kids in Mongolia after the fall of Communism when the economy went in the toilet without Soviet aid to prop it up, but nowadays real street kids are pretty rare, so most of the beggars you see are just doing it to rip people off. The same occurs on a much bigger scale in India where people will actually mutilate their children so they bring in more begging. Yet even so I can feel compassion for them. What a way to live!

Palzang