Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

My view of death.

JasonJason God EmperorArrakis Moderator
edited April 2007 in Buddhism Basics
Everyone,

As with most Eastern philosophies and religions, Buddhism does not view death as the final end of phenomena. In Buddhism, only nibbana is said to be the final end of phenomena in regards to the arising and ceasing of beings (AN 10.58). According to the teachings on dependent co-arising, if there are sufficient conditions present, those conditions will inevitably result in future births (SN 12.35). Moreover, future births will inevitably result in future deaths. Whatever is born must pass away, and that process is inherently stressful.

Death is a subject that most people fear or simply avoid contemplating, but death is important to me because I am of the conviction that we are not limited to only one in our so-called existence (SN 15.3). It is also important because for the most part, we are completely unaware of when it will happen. Our time here is short, and there is much for us to do before that time has ended (Ud 5.2). The passing of beings out of the various orders of beings is important because with the arising of birth, there is the arising of aging and death (MN 9).

We all must face this frightening and often painful experience countless times, and for that reason alone it is worthy of our attention. It is only with the cessation of birth that there is the cessation of aging and death, and being mindful of death leads one to heedfulness—to developing mindfulness for the sake of ending effluents of the mind (AN 6.19). Moreover, when mindfulness of death is developed and pursued so that it is of great fruit and great benefit, it gains a footing in the Deathless, and has the Deathless as its final end (AN 6.20).

Sincerely,

Jason

Comments

• edited April 2007
    I tend to think that there is just one life. It is the only life that is guaranteed to me in this world. And I think that in a way, it gives me a deeper appreciation of this life. Everything that I want to do must be done in this life. As far as I am concerned, there is no coming back. I am not speaking from an absolutist perspective here, but only from what I can know.
  • Bunny_HereBunny_Here Explorer
    edited April 2007
    Thank you Jason! Recent events in my life have encouraged me to deepen my Buddhist studies, and in particular, to examine what is meant by life and death.

"Make the day not-in-vain, a little or a lot. However much the day passes, that's how much less is life. Your last day approaches. This isn't your time to be heedless." (THAG 6.13).

Thank you!
    Bunny_Here

P.S. My view of death- "One sees the death of the flowers, of the leaves of the trees, and the end of the day. And yet, one looks forward to the blooming of the flowers once again, the budding of the trees, and the dawn of the following day...One makes little distinction between life and death, and only resides in one’s innate Buddha nature." (O-Bon Special Service, Rev. Zenku Smyers).
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2007
    This is a subject that's very important to me and about 80% of my reading at the moment concerns death and how to die as well as possible. I think about my death many times throughout the day because I want to be as prepared as possible and I feel anxious because I know there's so much to practice before I face it. But it's good anxiety in the sense that it reminds me of the urgency to learn and practice. It's the energy that keeps me focused on the subject of death. My greatest hope is that I will be able to die practicing and that whatever is reborn will have to the opportunity to keep practicing in the next life. Aside from attaining enlightenment, dying well is my greatest hope.
  • edited April 2007
    I too dwell on thoughts of death. Ever since my friend almost died of cancer at an early age, death was fascinating to me. Me, I will hopefully move to a more enlightened country some day where I can peacefully euthanize myself at an old age. Between gang fights, a car accident, and fast pitch baseball, I have had my share of close calls. It made me more mindful of just how fragile life is. Now that I hold no view on the afterlife, I am more willing to do gutsier things in this life. When I believed in heaven or reincarnation, I always was more willing to hold things off. For instance, asking out girls and flirting with them was not something I did in my devout days. I figured that strong faith would lead to heaven, and that was better than any date.

But alas, I don't believe in God, heaven, or any better place. This is as good as it gets. This is the best time. The only time as far as I am concerned. Flirting and romanticism are all a fun part of life for me now.

Death is annihilation of everything. Thinking anything else for me at least is just mere hope. And I have never been a big fan of hope. Life seems a little more precious if there is only one.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited April 2007
    "Death" is another abstraction that we create for ourselves, another attempt to turn a process into a momentary event. That is probably one reason why we get ourselves into a state about it, as if 'it' exists.

In reality, of course, dying is a process that begins with birth and in which we are involved at each moment. We conceal this reality from ourselves by telling ourselves stories but which continues minute by minute.

Modern scientific medical practice has made it harder and harder to identify the 'moment' of death, as we know.

Personally, I have found that an understanding of dying-as-process removes much of the emotional overlay of my own death, although the absence of family, friends, etc., remains.
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Death is one of those things that still seems like a foreign concept to me. An abstract. Perhaps that's because life feels the same way. It seems so strange to make up definitions of these kinds to me. Perhaps studying Madhyamika philosophy & contemplating emptiness hasn't really helped in this. Nonetheless, not coming to any concrete conclusions as to the meaning words such as 'life' & 'death' aside, I am beginning to give up on such notions. As I drop such pursuits, the directness of this very moment is coming more & more to the forefront of my experience. Seeing suffering as it comes up is enough to keep me on the path right now. Seeing what results from following my more natural & foolish dispositions is really where my practice is right now. Perhaps I am being too loose right now. Who knows. But I was getting burnt out & my relationships were suffering due to the fact that my mind had left home a long time ago to seek the Truth, whatever that may be. Anyway, I'm beginning to wander into off-topic territory, so here is a koan with commentary by John Tarrant Roshi that I particularly like:

There are many koans about death just because death is such a feature of life. When we were talking after the funeral, the one that came to Aitken Roshi's mind was this one, which I'll read you. It's Case 55 of the Blue Cliff Record and it's called, Tao Wu's Condolence Call."

This is about a master and a student who go to a funeral a long, long time ago in China. Tao Wu and Chien Yuan went to a house to make a condolence call.
    Yuan hit the coffin (with his stick, like that) and said, "Alive or dead?" Wu said, "I won't say alive, and I won't say dead." Yuan said, "Why won't you say?" And Wu said, "I won't say." And then as they were walking back, halfway back, Yuan said, "Teacher, you have to tell me rightaway. If you don't tell me, I'll hit you." Wu, the teacher, said, "You can hit me, but I won't say." Yuan then hit him.

The student's wonderful because he was so eager that he hit the teacher trying to intimidate him into giving him the answer. The teacher's wonderful because the teacher keeps holding the student so that the student can find it out in the student's own heart.

Later Tao Wu, the teacher, died. Yuan went to Shih Shuang, which is the next teacher, and brought up that story. Shuang said, "I won't say alive; I won't say dead." The student said, "Why won't you say?" The teacher said, "I won't say, I won't say." At these words, suddenly, Yuan's heart opened and he had an insight.

Then one day Yuan, the student who now had the insight, took a hoe into the teaching hall and he walked back and forth from east to west and west to east while everyone was sitting zazen. The teacher said, "What are you doing?" He said, "I'm looking for the sacred bones of our late master." Shuang said, "On the vast ocean the billows rise to the sky. What do you seek for is the sacred bones of our late master other than that? On the great ocean the billows foam up to the sky."

Hsueh Tou, the poet said, "Good heavens!"

Yuan said, "This is good for my training; this is good practice."

Fu of T'ai Yuan said, "The late master's sacred bones still exist." Like many stories there is the core story and then there is all the little jazz riffs that people do around it. Alive or dead? Someone who has died, are they alive or dead? Where are they now?

When Paichang was walking with his master Matsu, perhaps one of the greatest teachers of all time, he was a very powerful person. They were walking along by some reeds and a wild duck flew up and flew away. Matsu said, "What is that?" Paichang said, "Wild duck." Matsu said, "Where did it go?" Paichang said, "It flew away." Matsu grabbed his student's nose and twisted it until Paichang cried out in pain. Matsu said, "Why it didn't fly away at all." So where do the dead go? Who is it who walks around in this dojo? Who is it who sits intently?
    http://www.boundlesswayzen.org/teishos/tarrantteisho/tarrant-bcr55.html

There's a lot more commentary on the link, and it's worth the read, IMO. Hope you all find some value in it.

metta
    _/\_
  • edited April 2007
    not1not2 wrote:
    Death is one of those things that still seems like a foreign concept to me. An abstract. Perhaps that's because life feels the same way. It seems so strange to make up definitions of these kinds to me. Perhaps studying Madhyamika philosophy & contemplating emptiness hasn't really helped in this. Nonetheless, not coming to any concrete conclusions as to the meaning words such as 'life' & 'death' aside, I am beginning to give up on such notions. As I drop such pursuits, the directness of this very moment is coming more & more to the forefront of my experience. Seeing suffering as it comes up is enough to keep me on the path right now. Seeing what results from following my more natural & foolish dispositions is really where my practice is right now. Perhaps I am being too loose right now. Who knows. But I was getting burnt out & my relationships were suffering due to the fact that my mind had left home a long time ago to seek the Truth, whatever that may be. Anyway, I'm beginning to wander into off-topic territory, so here is a koan with commentary by John Tarrant Roshi that I particularly like:

_/\_

I can understand you on that I believe. Personally, I was so obsessed in finding truth that I forgot how to do everything else (i.e. to live). The more pressure I put on me, the more I suffered. That very suffering for me is the reason for the quest, I cannot imagine philosophy if all were immortal, had no sorrows and all wishes would be fullfilled instantly. But then again, from my today`s perspective, my method was self-defeating in the light of the Dharma because it added more suffering and did not reduce it. But I don`t regret it since it made me grow, or at least I hope so :) After all, such phases might be neccessary steps.
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited April 2007
    No regrets here either. Just change.

metta
    _/\_
  • edited April 2007
    Dave agree with simon, but it still never answers the question.

Death is general is an unanswerable, so there is no real question as i see. But of course you'll keep wondering. And as KOB said.. you only get 1 life.. its true.. this body/ this moment is singular which makes it so beautiful.. Life simple is..
  • edited April 2007
    Years ago a friend at a party led us all through a 'survey'. Various questions, bringing us along on a trip, and at various points we encountered obstacles that we had to describe (to ourselves...to be compared/revealed later).

The last obstacle, along this walk, was a wall. I found this difficult to define...nail down. At first, I saw it as impenatrible (sp?)...to tall and wide to see what was on the other side. Yet, somehow comforting...as it was solid and to my back. Oddly, at the next moment I envisioned it as a 'nice' country stone wall...the kind one would encounter in some pleasant countryside (think....Middle Earth). I could simply sit on it, swing my legs over...and continue on with my walk. I got the definite sense that when I was ready, when it was time/right...that that solid wall would simply change...and I'd continue my journey.

The 'answer' provided later was that this wall was a metaphor for how we view death.
  • edited April 2007
    My current view summed up:

Mentally:

Death is not the end, just the end of "I".
    "I" is an illusion to begin with.

Physically:

We're all on our way to being something else's food, but on the other hand, we are already food factories.

----

But yeah, I don't want to die. I like this life for better or worse - and it's been a lot of worse lately. I like being conscious and I strive to be more conscious. I hate sleeping and maybe that's why I am a chronic insomniac (well, that and a few physical ailments). I'm even scared of death, even though I don't think there is anything to come. And if death is the end of consciousness, I shouldn't be scared because there is literally nothing to fear. It's not like I'll wish I were alive, because I won't even know I'm dead. And I think of all the other people and creatures that have gone before me and maybe that makes it more o.k. I think of all the other people out there thinking about death (though we rarely realize how much others do think about it), and I feel a bond with the rest of humanity. Most of all, though, I think of my best friend and roommate who died last month and I realize that even if we follow all the rules and take care of ourselves and drive safe, it can still come at anytime whether we are ready or not. So, maybe there is no point in being ready, or wondering, or caring about it. Que será, que será.

But I still lie in bed every night thinking that she should be on the other side of that wall trying to sleep, too.
  • Bunny_HereBunny_Here Explorer
    edited April 2007
    Anybody seen The Shawshank Redemption? "Get busy living or get busy dying."- Andy Dufresne
  • edited April 2007
    KofB..I agree with you to a point. There is for me, here and now. I live my life as I have no other. I do not find however, that being reborn changes my decisions in this life. I do not put things off thinking...'well maybe next life'. My choices now affect the next phase, be it rebirth or heaven. But I do believe there is something else after 'I', the life as I know it, is done.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2007
    "Death, death, death comes sweeping down, filthy death the leering clown, death on wings, death by surprise, failing evil from worldly eyes, death that spawns as life succumbs, while death and love, two kindred drums, beat the time till judgement day, an actor in a passion play, without beginning, without end, evermore, Amen."

- Francesco Dellamorte
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Oh, I love that, Jason.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Death is simply one dream ending and another beginning. As Karmapa XVI said on his deathbed, "Nothing is happening!"

Palzang
  • cjpcjp
    edited April 2007
    This thread brings up something I've never understood about rebirth. Our human form seems so arbitrary to me. Why would its death result in the rebirth of another human form, or of any organized form at all?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2007
    It's just karma, cjp. Our form follows our karma. Taking a human rebirth is indicative of a lot of merit accumulated throughout many, many lifetimes. It is considered the most auspicious rebirth, even more than in the god realms, because only as a human do you have a real shot at attaining liberation. The human form allows you that opportunity. In other words it has everything physically you need to practice, the intelligence to understand what you're practicing, and the length of life to actually accomplish something. So that is why it is considered to be a precious human rebirth, precious because you have the opportunity to at last get off the Wheel of Death and Rebirth.

Palzang
  • cjpcjp
    edited April 2007
    Palzang wrote:
    It's just karma, cjp. Our form follows our karma. Taking a human rebirth is indicative of a lot of merit accumulated throughout many, many lifetimes. It is considered the most auspicious rebirth, even more than in the god realms, because only as a human do you have a real shot at attaining liberation. The human form allows you that opportunity. In other words it has everything physically you need to practice, the intelligence to understand what you're practicing, and the length of life to actually accomplish something. So that is why it is considered to be a precious human rebirth, precious because you have the opportunity to at last get off the Wheel of Death and Rebirth.

Palzang

I guess I'm just confused because all of that sounds like a plan that someone laid out. If so, then whom? This thread probably isn't the place for these questions, though.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2007
    No, not some plan laid out by a higher something, just the way things work.

Palzang
    edited April 2007
    cjp wrote:
    I guess I'm just confused because all of that sounds like a plan that someone laid out. If so, then whom? This thread probably isn't the place for these questions, though.

Whilst I am not sure that the notion of kamma/karma suggests any sort of plan or planner, I can understand why it may appear so. Those of us who have grown up within a monotheistic tradition with its concept of a "Creator" find it hard to see patterns without imagining a 'planner'. The fact is, of course, that human beings are 'pattern hungry': our senses organise their inputs in such a way that we impose patterns where there may be none in reality. This is the way in which we 'make sense' of the world around us. It may be a survival instinct which enabled us to distinguish that that shadow, over there, is a threat, something with teeth and claws which is looking for its lunch.

Another problem arises from the importance we place on empiricism and the scientific method. This is what Wikipedia says about scientific method:
    Scientific method is a body of techniques for investigating phenomena and acquiring new knowledge, as well as for correcting and integrating previous knowledge. It is based on gathering observable, empirical, measurable evidence, subject to specific principles of reasoning.[1]
    Although procedures vary from one field of inquiry to another, there are identifiable features that distinguish scientific inquiry from other methods of developing knowledge. Scientific researchers propose specific hypotheses as explanations of natural phenomena, and design experimental studies that test these predictions for accuracy. These steps are repeated in order to make increasingly dependable predictions of future results. Theories that encompass wider domains of inquiry serve to bind more specific hypotheses together in a coherent structure. This in turn aids in the formation of new hypotheses, as well as in placing groups of specific hypotheses into a broader context of understanding.
    Among other facets shared by the various fields of inquiry is the conviction that the process must be objective to reduce a biased interpretation of the results. Another basic expectation is to document all data and methodology so it is available for careful scrutiny by other scientists, thereby allowing other researchers the opportunity to verify results by attempting to reproduce them. This also allows statistical measures of the reliability of these data to be established.
    It must be obvious that karma/kamma has not yet been subjected to reliable scrutiny by this method. It is proposed on bases of 'logic' or 'faith' but without a clear methodology for investigation. The same holds true for any notion of personal survival after death. Indeed, most research into the subject turns out to be negative.

Despite this, there is clear evidence that actions in one generation can have effects on following generations. This is what we discern in history. At the personal level, it is like inheritance: sometimes it can solve debt problems, sometimes it makes them worse! If we see karma/kamma at this level, it is self-evident: overcultivation turned the Sahara into a desert; CFCs contibute to the hole in the ozone layer; smoking tobacco disposes to lung cancer; etc.

It has to be acknowledged that there are strands within Buddhism which have continued the earlier concept of personal survival-by-rebirth. If what you want is empirical, scientific evidence for this, you will look in vain. You will find anecdotal evidence but little that is reliably replicatable in a laboratory.

Which doesn't make it untrue.
    edited April 2007
    Simon,

Putting aside the question of what happens to a person after death for a moment, I would not be so quick to say that kamma is proposed on bases of 'logic' or 'faith' but without a clear methodology for investigation. It might not be presented in a way that entirely conforms to today's version of the scientific method, but there are plenty of places where the Buddha suggested ways in which to test these teachings in the here and now. In MN 61, for example, the Buddha gives a very simple yet detailed explanation/empirical experiment regarding the law of kamma to his son Rahula.

In this way, intentional actions and their results can easily be observed, documented, and reproduced in order to satisfy the most scientifically minded practitioners. When it comes to kamma and rebirth, however, that is certainly a little harder to scrutinize due to the immaterial nature of experiences within jhana (meditative absorption). I suppose that one could measure brain-waves and such, but that cannot verify nor refute said experiences. In any event, it is my view that the majority of the Buddha's teachings are not as abstract as they might initially appear to be.

Jason
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Funny you should mention Rahula, Jason. A few weeks ago I read the Buddha's instructions to him regarding thinking about the ramifications of his actions before performing them etc. and have incorporated those specific instructions into my practice. Not easy and it's going to take time before it comes automatically, but very, very fruitful.
    In any event, it is my view that the majority of the Buddha's teachings are not as abstract as they might initially appear to be.
    I couldn't agree more. I find this to be true over and over again the more I practice and learn.
    edited April 2007
    Indeed, Jason, I could not agree with you more about the practical nature of a lot - I may even aver most - of the Buddha's teaching. The part that I was addressing, in the context of this thread, was the matter of death and rebirth.

In my conversation with HHDL, the subject came up and he agreed that we do not appear to be in a position to set up a verifiable 'scientific' approach to the subject. He also agreed that, until such time as the matter was unproven, it could be believed or not.
    edited April 2007
    Elohim wrote:
    Simon,

Putting aside the question of what happens to a person after death for a moment, I would not be so quick to say that kamma is proposed on bases of 'logic' or 'faith' but without a clear methodology for investigation. It might not be presented in a way that entirely conforms to today's version of the scientific method, but there are plenty of places where the Buddha suggested ways in which to test these teachings in the here and now. In MN 61, for example, the Buddha gives a very simple yet detailed explanation/empirical experiment regarding kamma to his son Rahula.

....................../quote]

Whilst I can see where you are coming from, Jason, I have to say that the story that you quote appears to me to be more about discernment than about kamma. As the Psalmist says: "the wicked flourish like the green bay tree" and it is this apparent contradiction that Gotama appears to be teaching his 7-year-old son. He is showing him ethical behaviour and how to assess the ethical value of our thoughts and actions.
    edited April 2007
    Simon,
    Whilst I can see where you are coming from, Jason, I have to say that the story that you quote appears to me to be more about discernment than about kamma. As the Psalmist says: "the wicked flourish like the green bay tree" and it is this apparent contradiction that Gotama appears to be teaching his 7-year-old son. He is showing him ethical behaviour and how to assess the ethical value of our thoughts and actions.

Perhaps, but are not skillful and unskillful actions of body, speech, and mind what constitute kamma? While discernment is indeed an important part of this exercise, it seems to me that discernment is important mainly because it is needed for comparing the results of our skillful and unskillful actions to the afflictive and non-afflictive consequences of those actions. In other words, I believe that discernment is taught to Rahula as a tool for systematically observing kamma in regards to "ethical behavior", and in the process, understanding how it works for the practical use of putting an end to suffering. Even though what we have here appears to be an ethical discourse to a young child, there is an underlying framework that details a systematic methodology for observing and understanding the law of kamma.

Jason
    edited April 2007
    Simon,
    Indeed, Jason, I could not agree with you more about the practical nature of a lot - I may even aver most - of the Buddha's teaching. The part that I was addressing, in the context of this thread, was the matter of death and rebirth.

In my conversation with HHDL, the subject came up and he agreed that we do not appear to be in a position to set up a verifiable 'scientific' approach to the subject. He also agreed that, until such time as the matter was unproven, it could be believed or not.

I certainly agree with you that there is very little scientific research being done in the area of life after death, rebirth, et cetera. Unfortunately, I feel that this is mostly the fault of the mainstream scientific community, which for whatever reason seems to thumb their collective noses at that sort of research.

Very few scientists are able to get funding for this type of research, let alone are taken seriously whenever they propose such studies. The few who have endeavored to explore these questions have met with a great deal of scorn and criticism. Ajahn Brahmavamso talks a lot about this subject in his Dhamma talks.

Jason
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Subjecting karma and rebirth to scientific inquiry would be like trying to describe color to a blind man who has never seen one. In other words, we're dealing with something beyond the reach of logic and indeed our dualistic senses, which are based on and owe their existence to the deluded belief in self and other. So how could they discern something which lies outside dualism? That's not logical.

Palzang
    edited April 2007
    Palzang wrote:
    Subjecting karma and rebirth to scientific inquiry would be like trying to describe color to a blind man who has never seen one. In other words, we're dealing with something beyond the reach of logic and indeed our dualistic senses, which are based on and owe their existence to the deluded belief in self and other. So how could they discern something which lies outside dualism? That's not logical.

Palzang

With deep respect, Palzang-la, this may appear to be so but it misses the point. Colour can be described to a blind person. They would not experience the sensation/interpretation of the colour but they can learn about the physics of light which describes it more exactly than simple 'seeing'. The same is true of the aspects of the world that are beyond our senses, the subatomic for example. This is precisely why Dalton, despite being colour-blind, could determine the mechanism of 'daltonism'. Scientific enquiry does not rely on our senses. If it did, we would still be thinking the sun goes round us or other errors resulting from simple observation.

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Sorry, I have to disagree, Simon. Scientific inquiry depends exclusively on our senses. Remember, in Buddhism the mind is considered the sixth sense, and logic and reasoning are all attributes of mind. As all our senses are born of dualistic ego-clinging, ergo logic and reasoning are also born of dualistic ego-clinging and unable to comprehend something that is non-dualistic by definition. Scientific instruments, like telescopes, microscopes, oscilloscopes and all the rest, are but extensions of our senses.

So if mind is a product of ego-clinging, how can we ever hope to comprehend our non-dual, primordial nature? Simple - by forgetting the self!

Palzang
  • edited April 2007
    Elohim wrote:
    Simon,

I certainly agree with you that there is very little scientific research being done in the area of life after death, rebirth, et cetera. Unfortunately, I feel that this is mostly the fault of the mainstream scientific community, which for whatever reason seems to thumb their collective noses at that sort of research.

Very few scientists are able to get funding for this type of research, let alone are taken seriously whenever they propose such studies. The few who have endeavored to explore these questions have met with a great deal of scorn and criticism. Ajahn Brahmavamso talks a lot about this subject in his Dhamma talks.

Jason

Scientists are just beginning to look into contemplative mental states. But they probably won't be commenting anytime soon on things like the afterlife. We are just coming out of the cave when it comes to understanding the mind, least of all the next life.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2007
    I agree, KoB. Human understanding seems to go in steps. I once read that in the 19th Century someone proposed that the US Patent Office be closed as everything worth inventing had already been invented! That's why I always liked quantum physics because there anything goes and you can't be a quantum physicist and have a closed mind. Some of their theories are truly mind-bending and I have no idea how someone could have come up with them. That's kind of the same feeling I have about Buddhism. When you really study what the Buddha taught, there's no way he could have just dreamed this stuff up. It truly does come from enlightened mind which has freed itself of the boundaries and restrictions the rest of us operate under.

Palzang
    edited April 2007
    We are not in disagreement, Palzang-la, although I may have expressed myself badly. My point is - and always has been - that there is currently no scientific paradigm that permits investigation of such questions. This does not mean, as some 'scientists' suggest, that they are not worth investigating nor, as I said above, that they are untrue. Nor, I believe, should it be excluded that we shall experience a paradigm shift again, as we have in the past.

The example that I find illuminating is that of the awareness and description of colour-blindness which went unnoticed in general until the advent of the railways and the need to distinguish between red and green signals. My impression is that there is a greater and greater awareness of a need which could be called "spiritual", going beyond the pragmatic and empirical. The religions are desperately trying to define and fill this need. They will fail, I think, because they have spent their spiritual capital and debased their coinage.

Death, and people's fear of it, may be the catalyst that empowers the paradigm shift that moves us forward again. I recall that one history teacher, showing us the extraordinary socio-religious transformation wrought in England by the Redormation, pointed out how the years of work by the Reformers was enshrined in a renewal of the language. Having exchanged Latin for English, they were able to persuade the majority that the new spirituality would still "get them to Heaven".

Heaven may no longer be a persuasive issue for people today. It seems to me that HHDL, primus inter pares (Latin for "first among equals", one of the Pope's titles !!), expresses the contemporary need: the need for happiness. When spiritual happiness can be expressed in a language that people understand and believe, the shift will occur.

We have more than just the English example, of course, the development of German and of Tibetan appear to have had a similar interdependence with generalised spiritual renewal. Even the Greek and Latin languages were transformed by and transformative of Christianity.