Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

live at a temple?

edited December 2007 in Buddhism Today
I am strongly considering living at a Zen temple in the US. If not Zen, then some other tradition with a strong meditation practice. In California, preferably. So if you know of any place, or have any ideas at all, please let me know.

For years and years I have prefered warm weather. So Thailand was a delight. Korea is a bit rougher. A temple in a warmer place is a big plus, but I'm willing to consider and look into just about anything just about anywhere in the US.

I've lived in Asia for years. I lived at two Santi Asoke temples in Thailand, for two years each. Now I'm in South Korea living at a Seon temple. I've decided to go back to the US next year.

I'm considering two living options. The first is a temple. The second is an intentional community with a strong spiritual practice.

I eat vegetarian, and prefer raw vegan. I'd love to do some gardening, landscaping, and would do whatever needs to be done at the temple.

I'd go as a layman but have long thought about ordaining someday.

In Thailand it's common for temples to have a person or two living at temples. And the temple I live at now in Korea has one lady working and living there. Boy she's busy! The Asoke temples all have people living there permanently. Same with the Asoke communities that don't yet have Dhamma Halls and monks - they have laypeople living there.

Enough, thanks,
Troy.

Comments

• Bunny_HereBunny_Here Explorer
    edited April 2007
    Hi Troy,

Shasta Abbey in Northern California has monastic training, but like most places, there are certain prerequisites. Please see their site for more info. For Southern California, you might want to check out Zen Mountain Center.

Bunny_Here
    edited April 2007
    I just remembered Green Gulch Farm. :smilec:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2007
    I also highly recommend Shasta Abbey. Way, way back in the '70s (that's the 1970s, not the 1870s!) I too was seeking and found my way from Chicago to Shasta Abbey. It's a great place, and I revisited there in 2005 when I went to the Western Ordained Buddhist Conference which was held there that year. I still knew some of the monks who were there in 1973! It turned out that that wasn't the place for me, but I'd heartily recommend trying it out. It is possible to live there for a period to try it out, so why not? If nothing else, it's a beautiful area!

Palzang
  • edited April 2007
    Thanks guys for your replies. Those are temples that I've found during my internet searches. I'm mostly interested in the Zen Mountain Center. I think this is the temple in Tehachapi. Maybe not. I am not sure of the name at the moment. But the on in Tehachapi interests me most.

Just a little while ago I talked with the monk at this temple about me staying a year here as a novice. I've accepted. But it's still a bit hard for me to believe. So, I don't yet believe that this is going to happen. I hope it does. People here regard the head monk to be enlightened. I realize this is a touchy subject, but, well, that's what I'm told. They all say his teaching is GREAT. So, I may be here for the next year or more.

Thanks much guys.

Troy.
    edited April 2007
    There's Mountain Spirit Center in Tehachapi. Maybe that's the one? Either way, I wish you lots of happiness. Do let us know how it goes.
  • edited April 2007
    Ah, that's the one. Yeah, I'll write from time to time. I was referred by a memeber of yours. Yogamama I think, is her username. We "met" through a raw food forum.
  • edited December 2007
    Haha I like shasta abbey I might go there
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2007
    Shasta Abbey is a great place. I first visited there way, way back in 1974, not long after they had bought the motel and converted it into a monastery. I visited there again in 2005, and the change in the place was amazing. I really like the monks there.

Palzang