Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

know of any raw monks?

edited December 2007 in Buddhism Today
Just that. Do you know of any raw foodist monks? Meaning a monk who eats only or mostly raw foods. I'd love to contact such a monk. Not even necessarily Buddhist, but that's what I'm thinking.

And, by the way, if anyone knows of anyone who has written about how raw foodism is consistent or is inconsistent with Buddhist practice, please let me know. I certainly see consistency (as well as inconsistency) and would like to know what others think. So, that means that I welcome your own comments on how raw foodism is or isn't consistent with Buddhist practice.

I've just moved into a Seon Buddhist temple in Korea. The woman who makes the monks' meals - what on earth could she be thinking when she sees me eat?! I have been eating raw fruits and vegetables. I intend to eat this way the great majority of my stay here, or my whole stay here. At least one year.

Thanks,
Troy.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2007
    I do not personally know of any, admittedly.... The only thing I can say, with regard to it being in/consistent with Buddhist practise is to consider the Middle Way. providing your Intention, View, Effort and Mindfulness are Right, your Practise is correct for you. However, be mindful also, of whether your actions - even if they are 'Right' for yourself - are not in some way hindering, inconveniencing or making things difficult for others.....
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Oh god, er, Buddha, she's back!!!!

I don't know, I'm kind of a raw monk, other than the food I eat, of course.

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2007
    Oh, behave yerself you silly Monk-ee....! he said raw, not IN THE raw....!

Didja miss me, huh? HUH??

and (so's to not get totally OT) what sayest thou re: raw food?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Oh, were you gone? :grr:

The only thing the Buddha said about eating and food is that a monk shouldn't eat meat that was killed specifically for him. So if someone wants to eat raw for nutritional reasons, that's perfectly fine. But of course, whatever you do, as Trungpa Rinpoche used to say, don't make a big production out of it!

Palzang
  • edited April 2007
    Thanks for your ideas and comments, everyone. federica, yeah, I know, I don't want to be a burden for others. So far, it seems, the only person feeling a burden is the lady who makes food for the monks. She seems irritated. But no other sort of burden imposed by me, that's for sure. She's got next to nothing to do for me except serve me a bit of fruit in the morning! I wash my own dishes, which takes next to no time. She also gets a bit irritated by all the banana peels I produce! But still, far less to compost than their fare. I don't criticize anyone for anything. I don't look down on anyone for anything for any reason. I'm okay inside and out.

Thanks. Troy.
  • edited December 2007
    theres buddhists that do that? :scratch:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2007
    Do what, pray tell?

Palzang
  • edited December 2007
    Sorry i just did not know that there was such a thing of eating raw meat
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2007
    Well, you can actually (steak tartare, sushi), but Troy said he was eating raw fruits and vegetables, not meat. It is a very healthy way to eat, but the only stricture the Buddha put on eating was that if you ate meat, it should not have been killed specifically for you. Even that applied mainly to ordained sangha, not lay people. But eating raw for health reasons is very good as it helps extend your lifespan, thus giving you more time to practice and actually achieve something in this precious lifetime. One of my roommates eats fruit and raw vegetables exclusively, and he seems to be very healthy, unlike yours truly who devotes little attention to what goes in his mouth - and reaps the karma accordingly!

Palzang
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited December 2007
    Palzang wrote:
    ]unlike yours truly who devotes little attention to what goes in his mouth - and reaps the karma accordingly!

Palzang

Word, mah brotha! :mullet:
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited December 2007
    I'm just wondering why this chick is getting so irritated with everyone all the time. Getting irritated about this and getting irritated with that.

I mean, she sounds like a wife, fer cryin' out loud! ;)

-bf
  • edited December 2007
    Troy,

I'm sure this is part of your consideration and I am just rehashing, buuuut here's some food for thought:

One of the great benefits of going raw is that you get a larger percentage of the vitamins and nutrients your fruits and veggies have to offer. When we cook f's & v's, we are actually cooking the good stuff out of our food.

While we're on this topic, does anyone know of a good raw "cook" book?

Excuse the bad pun way up there. Palzang may be wearing off on me a little. ;-)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2007
    Excuse the bad pun way up there. Palzang may be wearing off on me a little. ;-)

You poor dear! :hair: You have my complete and utter sympathy...

Palzang