Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Being more mindful...

edited April 2007 in General Banter
...and aware of things around me. For instance, yesterday my wife and I were out edging some flower beds. While digging up some of the dirt we started to notice lots and lots of worms. At one point I counted almost thirty within a square foot sized area, they were everywhere. I guess this is good for aerating the dirt, but anyway. I started picking them up and placing them in a "danger free" zone. It reminded me of the scene from "Seven Years In Tibet" when the monks started sifting dirt around an area they were building on, and then moving the worms to a safer place.

As your practice goes on, what things have you noticed lately that have changed on a positive manner? Just curious...

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited April 2007
    When we were visiting Bir, a Tibetan village in Himachal Pradesh, the tiny child-monks were tumbling out of school. As they rushed down the path, one stopped and picked up a beetle that was in danger of being trodden on and moved it to the side of the road. I have seen the same thing in our local primary school. I think that our young are far more aware of what is around them. Perhaps it comes from being closer to the ground.
  • edited April 2007
    I like that Simon, being lower to the ground... interesting, hehe...
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited April 2007
    One of the great joys of being a grandparent is being allowed, again, to get down on the ground to play with small people. We can rediscover the fascinating world of the small: ants and greenfly, the blades of grass, the feel of mud between your fingers - and all for FUN. The one thing that really surprises me about our teaching of mindful attention is that we do not emphasise half enough the fun aspect of compassionate awareness. It is all so po-faced, so 'puritan'. I like to think that great teachers like the Buddha and Longchenpa, Thich Nhat Hanh and Padmasambhava would all have agreed with the bits I hold onto from the Jewish/Christian scriptures:
    I set before you Life and Death: choose Life.
    Deut. 30:19
    and
    I have come so that they may have life and have it to the full.
    John 10:10

and I also think that they would agree that a life without wonder and fun would be hardly worth the effort.
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Sometimes I'll stop someone from squashing a bug. I'll catch them and put them outside instead. People's reactions vary from pleasant to puzzled.

Why kill when you don't have to?

::
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2007
    I agree, Magwang! Once I started protecting the bugs and spiders in my house something inside me changed forever and now I wouldn't dream of letting that tiny spider drown in the sink when I wash my hands just because I'm too lazy to move her. Now I move her. No matter what. I look before I scratch an itch, just in case. All my little fears of insects and spiders have disappeared. I feel like the child I was before I was taught to fear them. I'm so glad that I can lay down that burden of fear now. It's a big, ridiculous weight off my shoulders. I see life very differently now.
  • edited April 2007
    Brigid wrote:
    I agree, Magwang! Once I started protecting the bugs and spiders in my house something inside me changed forever and now I wouldn't dream of letting that tiny spider drown in the sink when I wash my hands just because I'm too lazy to move her. Now I move her. No matter what. I look before I scratch an itch, just in case. All my little fears of insects and spiders have disappeared. I feel like the child I was before I was taught to fear them. I'm so glad that I can lay down that burden of fear now. It's a big, ridiculous weight off my shoulders. I see life very differently now.

my sentiments exactly...