Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhists and the military

I am new to Buddhism and am having some difficulty in dealing with an issue. I was recently recalled to Active Duty with the US Army. I am a medic currently stationed at Ft. Benning, Georgia.

Here is my dilemma. I want to do the right thing, but I am also a soldier. Can I be both a soldier AND a Buddhist? I am classified as a non-combatant, but I am still required to carry and fire a weapon. Can I do that and not conflict with the teachings of Buddhism? Are there any stipulations about using a weapon only in self-defense? I do not want to shoot anyone. I am a compassionate and caring person and would rather help someone than hurt them. It's just very confusing.

I began exploring Buddhism in 2003 while stationed in Iraq during the first months of this current bloodbath. I left the military when my time expired and then they decided they needed Medics again, so here I am.

I have looked at this forum and it appears that there are many good people with good advice. I would appreciate any opinions on this matter. It has weighed heavily on my heart and mind.

Thank you!

Comments

• XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited April 2007
    cheres woody,

there is more than a smattering of ex-military members here.

as far as I can tell-(see Palzang about this), a medic is a far more ethical and "low down on the karma list" than a bloodthirsty soldier, by far. If you ned to carry a weapon for defence sake I'd say you are fine.

cheers,
    xrayman
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, I'd agree with X-man. Intention is the most important. If you're there to ease suffering and be of benefit to your fellows, that's good. Yes, you'll carry a weapon. You should avoid killing at all costs, but if it's a question of defending yourself and your mates, then you'll have to do what you have to do. But I would suggest getting out of the military as soon as possible if you intend to continue with Buddhism. They do have Buddhist chaplins in the military now, so maybe it would be a good idea to talk to one if possible for more guidance. I'm sure they're trained to answer such questions.

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Hi, Woody, and welcome to the forum. It's very nice to meet you and I hope you stay safe and sound if/when you return to Iraq. I have no experience in the realm of the military and Palzang, one of out resident monks, has given you good advice so I'll just send you my deepest wishes for peace of mind and safety of body and mind while you're out there and indeed no matter where you are.

I also hope you may find some comfort and warmth here on this board and return as often as you can to let us know how you're doing. I've been coming here for a while and it really feels like a safe haven to me now and I wish the same for you. (There's a lot of hoping and wishing in this post, isn't there?? :))

Your friend,
    Boo
  • edited April 2007
    Thank you so much for your words. It has helped ease my mind more than you could know. I plan on getting out as soon as my contract expires in 2009.

I had heard that they had some Buddhist chaplains now, but they are few and far between. I am still looking around trying to see if I can find one nearby that I can speak with.

I plan on visiting the forum quite often now that I have found a place to ask questions and help my learning process.
  • edited April 2007
    Ft. Benning in the Summer. Boy...does that bring back (bad) memories. But it's better than Iraq! Good luck to you.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Woody,

Thank you for raising this question. In many ways, your dilemma is that of any person who tries to live in the world whilst practising a spiritual path, but writ large. For most of us, we can avoid most of the 'unskillful' actions but you have to confront the question of the precept against killing, which must include the intention to kill. Even the question of 'self-defence' falls at the hurdle of anatta.

I have no clear answer to the problem but I am reminded of a priest whom I met. He had been a soldier for a number of years, rising to the rank of colonel, saw action and then, at the end of his service, retrained for the Catholic priesthood. When I asked him what connected the two. He replied: "A passion for justice." It still gives me much to consider when I am reflecting on or discussing my pacifism in a world that encourages warfare.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2007
    Woody, if it helps at all, you sound exactly like the kind of guy I would love to have standing next to me if our backs were up against the wall. Were that our leading statesmen where as conscientious as you.

Welcome to our little modest residence.
  • edited April 2007
    Thank you, everyone!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2007
    woody31904,

A student of his who had been drafted in to the Thai army, but still wanted to return to monastic life after his time of service was fulfilled, asked Ajahn Chah, “But what if I get into a firefight?” Ajahn Chah answered, "In training, pay attention and become a really good shot. Then when you get shot at, shoot back, but shoot over their heads. Your officers won't see, but you won't kill anyone."

Best wishes,

Jason
  • edited April 2007
    Jason, that is the most awesome thing I have heard in a long time! I love that answer!
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited April 2007
    mmmm sounds good, but may not work and may result in the death of you as well as your fellow soldiers.

tread lightly-figuratively and literally.

cheers
    Xray
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2007
    I don't know, Xray. My father, an avid reader and historian, loves to recount the story he read some time ago about some of the boys fighting in the American Civil War. As You might know, brothers were pitted against brothers in that most bloody of wars and there were not a few boys who chose to fire their rifles above the heads of the "enemy" when it came time for them to use their weapons. If more of them had done this perhaps the U.S. wouldn't have lost more men and boys in that single war than they've lost in all the other wars they've fought in combined.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Jason,

I'm just starting on my education of the Thai Forest tradition and that story about Ajahn Chah makes me love him even more. Thanks for posting it.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Yes I do know. I (strange as it may seem, have a reasonable idea about the American Civil War), yes in this case I can understand the concept of firing above heads.

I just didn't think about it that way-thanks for enlightening me- Sis.
    cheers all.

Xray
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited April 2007
    This was an issue that came up back in December '06, when I first enlisted, for active duty, as an already practicing Buddhist, in combat arms of all things (21B, Combat Engineer). Guess what, my job description has changed, and now my unit mission is route clearance. Shooting above the head is not an option for me (if a guy is planting explosives, he has to be stopped before others are killed), but my job is no longer oriented toward looking for firefights. Sometimes you just have to have faith.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited April 2007
    :skeptical:
    edited April 2007
    I understand if you're skeptical, xrayman, but that's how it is. The "combat" part of my job title barely applies anymore.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Hi Bushy,
    I am skeptical of the "faith" part-not the combat side of things, it sounds a little christian! hey have you found any buddhist padres?-ours were ALWAYS christians-nothing wrong with that of course.

Best wishes mate!
    Cheers

Xray
    edited April 2007
    OK, xrayman, I do have some residual deism in me. I just refuse to consider that one religion is "right", to the exclusion of all else. Besides, do not Buddhists have "faith", in the Dhamma and karma? Do we not ultimately believe there is some guiding force in the universe, even if it is not a "god" with a "known name"?

Also, there were some civilian contractors at FLW, when I was in basic, that ran Buddhist services. I have not seen any others since, although that is a high priority with the military right now. Any person with a degree related to the practice of Buddhism who would be interested in helping fellow Buddhists in the US Army, either as a civilian or a commisioned officer, would be greatly appreciated and could start with goarmy.com or your local recruiter office. If you are in a military town, talk with someone at the community service office on post. I repeat, THERE IS A NEED, IN ALL BRANCHES.
  • edited April 2007
    bushinoki wrote:
    OK, xrayman, I do have some residual deism in me. I just refuse to consider that one religion is "right", to the exclusion of all else. Besides, do not Buddhists have "faith", in the Dhamma and karma? Do we not ultimately believe there is some guiding force in the universe, even if it is not a "god" with a "known name"?

Somewhere around 14% of the American citizenry (including myself) would disagree with you. If such a force does exist, it is at best incompetent.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2007
    The only "guiding force" in the universe that I am aware of is karma. And that's hardly sentient!

Palzang
    edited April 2007
    Palzang, a "force" hardly has to be sentient to have faith in it. Look at the superstitions regarding objects such as horseshoes or four leaf clovers.

All, I apologize for the multiple postings, there was some sort of glitch earlier, and my computer never seemed to complete the process. Would a mod please delete the extra posts ASAP.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2007
    You can actually delete them yourself, Bushi. Just go into the Edit screen and hit "delete". I had to do the same thing on another thread when the system went bonkers.

And horseshoes and four leaf clovers are sentient! :zombie:

Palzang
    edited April 2007
    Thanks for that assist Palzang.

As far as sentience in nature goes, I agree that there is a spark of the Divine in all things. So, in that sense you might consider a funky shaped stoned "sentient", even if I have no ability to communicate with it. Still, it takes faith to believe that there is something remotely divine about such things. It is the same thing as believing that (insert deity of choice here) or Karma is this guiding force in the universe. Regardless of your theology, you always have some form of faith.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2007
    No faith involved. No divinity. Just logic.

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2007
    bushinoki wrote:
    Besides, do not Buddhists have "faith", in the Dhamma and karma? Do we not ultimately believe there is some guiding force in the universe, even if it is not a "god" with a "known name"?

Yes, but as SimonthePilgrim put it so eloquently in another thread, the Faith we have in the Dharma is one that we constantly put to the test and re-evaluate, we don't accept it as a constant, non-changing rock-solid foundation of our practise.

Karma isn't a force, it's a process....and as we change and act, so it changes and re-acts...it never stays constant, due to our changing circumstances and evaluation of our situation. If it's perceived as being 'negative' we accept the situation as it is, and transform the Karma into a perceived positive, through our appraisal and response. if it's perceived as being 'positive' we nurture and promote its continuation. But there's no 'Force' to it. It is what it is.

And as to your last question, No. I don't.
  • edited May 2007
    Wow. Looks like I started an intense discussion. Sorry about that. I do have another question, though. I'm full of inquisitiveness. Does anyone know where I can find some books on the Mahayana traditions? I saw the website for the Land of Medicine Sangha and am extremely interested in it.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2007
    I assume you mean Land of Medicine Buddha in Soquel, California. That's an FMPT (Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahayana Tradition) place. The FPMT was founded by the late Lama Yeshe Rinpoche and is now under the guidance of Lama Zopa Rinpoche, both excellent lamas. I know FPMT because they were the only other Western Buddhist organization active in Mongolia when I was there. Very nice people, and very helpful. You might want to check out their main website at www.fpmt.org. They're part of the Gelugpa School of Tibetan Buddhism (also known as Vajrayana). Vajrayana is considered a subset of Mahayana Buddhism.

All the schools of Tibetan Buddhism are pretty much the same with minor doctrinal differences. If you'd like a good, simple overview, try Tibetan Buddhism from the Ground Up by B. Alan Wallace (I'm prejudiced because I knocked around Mongolia with his wife, Vesna, for a few weeks when I was there - truth in advertising!). You can find it on Amazon. There are a number of other good books on the subject as well. Just go to Amazon and search for "Tibetan Buddhism".

Palzang
    edited May 2007
    woody31904 wrote:
    Wow. Looks like I started an intense discussion. Sorry about that.

Woody, don't be....
    There's nothing wrong with setting the firework, lighting the blue touchpaper and standing well back....the display is sometimes noisy, always colourful, plenty of "Oooohs!" and "Aaaaahs!" and then, at the end, we all have a snack, a hot drink and head for bed.... :D

That's what being on a forum is largely about, isn't it?
    edited May 2007
    Woody, dear brave heart,

I second Fede's words and, in particular, about this topic.

Whether we like it or hate it, we are at war. There has not been a single day since the end of WWII that there has not been war somewhere on this planet. More than 70 wars in 60 years, and we have been involved in so many of them.

It is vital that we, with a Buddhist perspective, engage in the debate. Clearly there is not a single, simple answer so opinions will differ. Debate in the Tibetan tradition looks and sounds like violent argument, even about the Dharma itself. We must not fear the strength of opinion, nor the opposition of others. Nor should we shy away from the possibility of being wrong.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2007
    Everyone,

To me, the debate is divided between those trying to validate killing other human beings and those trying to validate abstaining from killing other human beings. From the perspective of Dhamma, it is a ridiculous debate. It is the very first precept.

In truth, I admire those who go to war with the noble intention of protecting innocent lives, but I also think this is a partially deluded intent. From a Buddhist perspective, being able to justify killing does not negate the negative consequences killing.

Sincerely,

Jason
    edited May 2007
    screw combat arms, I'm reclassing asap.

And I learned something new today, that being the Buddhist view on faith. Fede, Simon, thanks. I really mean it. You just made up for a lousy field problem.

Elohim, as you touched on, this is an ongoing problem, in that we want peace, but the world constantly generates war. It has been a problem for millenia. I'll say it right now, I don't want to take another living thing's life. I find it hard to kill the black widow in my work space merely because its' presence is a danger to me. When the means to relocate the spider safely are available, that is my preferred course of action. I can't honestly justify killing someone to save other lives, because the person who is killing others in the case of war has some sort of cause to do so. In this case, it is misguided religious fanaticism, but that is still a cause. The only thing we can do is to work for peace where we can, and fight when we must.

In fact, I have a proposal to promote world peace. We either form a non profit organization or promote an existing one that helps fight hunger in Africa and South America. And not just by shipping food over that will be gone in a short time, but by delivering farming tools and supplies and building adequate irrigation systems to help the poorest regions become self sustaining. Let us remove one of the causes/reasons/motivating factors for people to go to war, and it will become harder to start one.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2007
    Actually I like black widows. We used to have them in our garage here at the house I used to live in, and they ate tons of bugs and never, ever bothered us (nor we them). They're actually pretty cool - once you get beyond their rather intimidating appearance (the archetypal Halloween spider), not to mention the fact that they eat their mates!

I understand your feelings behind your proposal. Wouldn't it be nice if we could just eliminate all the world's problems that easily? Unfortunately the reality is that even if we were rich enough to feed everyone on earth for their whole lives someday they're going to die. What can we do for them then? Not much. They're still stuck on the Wheel of Cyclic Existence. So perhaps the real answer to world peace is for us to attain enlightenment for only as an enlightened being can we be of true benefit to sentient beings. Everything else is just samsara, and there is no refuge in samsara. Samsara breeds pain and suffering, not salvation.

Palzang
    edited May 2007
    Palzang friend,

I think you stop too soon in your reply. All that you say is true and there is more. As Fede always reminds us, we have been shown a Noble Path to follow. It seems to me that the Tathagata taught optimism and showed us our interconnectedness with all beings. From that, it follows that, whilst we may not achieve perfection, nor should we expect it, we should not give in to counsels of despair and inaction.

Not for nothing are the majority of peace movements stuffed with Buddhists. We know that peace is not an end, but a means, but an essential one.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2007
    I'm not saying we shouldn't try to improve the lives of others, but one should never expect that we can solve the problem of samsara using ordinary (samsaric) means. Ain't gonna happen. Obviously there is lots of merit in helping others, no matter how small or how big an effort it is.

Palzang
    edited May 2007
    Well, it was worth bringing up. I know we can't solve all the problems in the world, but I do think it worthwhile to try and solve some of them. I just find it a shame that this world is more than capable of feeding all people living here right now, and yet that potential is not being used. And because of that, there are people who prey on the starving and less affluent to spread hate. A practical solution to that problem would make it harder to fight a war because the people who would fight would have no reason to.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2007
    You're absolutely right. We should always try our best to relieve the suffering of cyclic existence. It's amazing what just a few people can accomplish who set out to change the world. Have you ever heard of Tzu Chi? They're a large Buddhist aid organization out of Taiwan that started in 1966 with thirty women led by a Buddhist nun in a tiny village on Taiwan who donated a few cents a day from their grocery money to start an aid fund. Now they're a worldwide organization that provides millions of dollars in aid and operates hospitals for the poor. You can read about them on www.tzuchi.org. But you have to keep it in perspective. This is not the ultimate answer.

Palzang
    edited May 2007
    But it's a start.