Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hey look! a Nutbag.

XraymanXrayman Veteran
edited May 2007 in General Banter
Dear all,

recently I have asked some strange perhaps basic questions that are relativley nothing to do with Buddhism per se. Sorry about that, What I was asking was for opinion from a buddhist pov.

well here is another one for you to mull over.

Many times I have enjoyed talking with some fundies etc. about "religion" but I prefer to be well armed with information.

There is a story regarding a professor (who when or where I wouldn't have a clue-apparently this is a true story) that went out to prove that the bible was in general terms a hoax.
he looked for information o the historical collaboration of bible stories from a Torah, talmud? pov and they collaborated-also he studied the archaeological evidence of historical biblical sites and found them to be real and accurately portrayed in the bible.

presentlyI have decided to really read the bible a few chapters per day for a year so that I have a real understanding of the whole bible "thing".

here is the question-Is that a real wanky or Nutbag thing to do? how many others know the bible enough to argue the validity of certain arguments when discussing religion with other "tyypes"?
look forward to your opinions...

www.readhisword.com is the site in question.

cheers,
Xray

Comments

• MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited April 2007
    It's a waste of time to debate the existence of God, based on scripture or science or anything else. For a Buddhist, what you believe is not important. For a deist, what you believe is the ONLY thing that's important.

Even if you could prove that [insert your god's name here] doesn't exist, they would still believe. Because they want to believe. It is their faith that they cling to.

So ....then you have to let it go, too.

::
  • edited April 2007
    I find it ironic to the point of humorous that most atheists including myself know and care more about what the Bible says than even some of the more devout theists. I encourage everyone to read the Bible if only to break away from the cherry picking done by modern preachers who avoid all the violent, culturally backwards, slave supporting jibberish.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited April 2007
    okay-interesting response.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Hi, Xray.

I don't think it's a nutbag thing to do at all, even though you are a nutbag. ;):p (kidding)

But I'm with Magwang. I've learned my lesson about debating faith with anyone and it's just a futile energy drain in the final analysis. These questions can't be answered, not by the bible nor science and as Magwang put it so well, "For a Buddhist, what you believe is not important. For a deist, what you believe is the ONLY thing that's important." As a Buddhist these questions are unhelpful and lead to a thicket of wrong views because their truths cannot be known while we're still deluded, unenlightened beings.

No matter how much you know about it, debating religion feels like this: :banghead:

What's the point? We have such little time on earth in this precious human form and the time spent debating religious doctrine is time that could be spent on more important things.

But I also think that reading a few pages of the bible everyday is a worthwhile exercise because there's some good stuff in it. I'm partial to the New Testament myself but there are some nuggets of wisdom in The Old Testament as well. If you use this exercise as an enrichment of your own education rather that ammo for your next religious debate I think it would be a good thing. This is only one sister's opinion, though. :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2007
    If I learnt one pithy and useful thing from the Bible it's that the only person mentioned who actually gives women a respected status and treats them with kindness, compassion and equanimity - was Jesus himself. Everyone else treated them like c**p. other than that, I find little satisfaction in debating such matters.
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited April 2007
    It is not a nutbag thing to do. Read the Bible. Understand what it is that the Bible says. Make an informed decision about your life. While you're at it, read the Q'uran as well. It never hurts to gain some perspective on how other people think.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2007
    Oh yes, yes and thrice yes...Don't misunderstand me...By all means read, learn, mark and inwardly digest, I agree.

It's the arguing and debate part I find futile and unconstructive....

Just to clarify.....
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Fede, arguing is most definitely futile and unconstructive. I'm not changing any person's mind by yelling at the top of my lungs. However, debate CAN be constructive, so long as the main objective is to make a point and leave it at that. I have taken much from my debates on this and other sites. In fact, it's the reason I visit internet forums. I learn best this way.
    edited April 2007
    bushinoki wrote:
    ......debate CAN be constructive, so long as the main objective is to make a point and leave it at that.

I couldn't agree more, but unfortunately, I have yet to see a lively debate - either live or on fora - which comply with this proviso. Someone, somewhere, always starts with the personal stuff.....:mad:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Ah, yo mama!

Actually I go more for wanky than nutbag.

Palzang
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Brigid wrote:
    Hi, Xray.

I don't think it's a nutbag thing to do at all, even though you are a nutbag. ;):p (kidding)

But I'm with Magwang. I've learned my lesson about debating faith with anyone and it's just a futile energy drain in the final analysis. These questions can't be answered, not by the bible nor science and as Magwang put it so well, "For a Buddhist, what you believe is not important. For a deist, what you believe is the ONLY thing that's important." As a Buddhist these questions are unhelpful and lead to a thicket of wrong views because their truths cannot be known while we're still deluded, unenlightened beings.

No matter how much you know about it, debating religion feels like this: :banghead:

What's the point? We have such little time on earth in this precious human form and the time spent debating religious doctrine is time that could be spent on more important things.

But I also think that reading a few pages of the bible everyday is a worthwhile exercise because there's some good stuff in it. I'm partial to the New Testament myself but there are some nuggets of wisdom in The Old Testament as well. If you use this exercise as an enrichment of your own education rather that ammo for your next religious debate I think it would be a good thing. This is only one sister's opinion, though. :)

hi brigid,

yes I should have watched what and how I said that-I amdoing it more for my own education that to annoy or argue with others-thak you for pointing that out and picking me up on it.

cheers
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2007
    You're a gracious gentleman, Xray.

I just thought of a good thing about debating religion. It can give you the opportunity to observe yourself and how you cling to your closely held spiritual beliefs when they're being threatened. That's a worthwhile exercise.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited May 2007
    A Nutbag, Xrayman?

What about me? When you and Elohim have written "Dear All," I've always been confused as to who this Allen guy is.

Have I finally figured it out that you're addressing all of us who visit here?

Nutbag? I complained bitterly for years that they should make disposable latex gloves red for the right hand and blue for the left, as I was wasting too much time putting on gloves.

Also, when people often look at me in puzzlement as to what I'm thinking or what I've understood, I quite often say: "I'm not half as dumb as I look," I invariably get the response: "Of course not. Nobody could possibly be that stupid."

Also when people ask me how I am and I say, "sufficiently sober," they act as though they don't believe me.

As for reading the Bible, I recommend Isaiah and the New Testament, especially The Catholic Epistles (the ones not attributed to Paul) and Ephesians and Philippians. A Red-Letter Testament, with the words of Jesus in red is helpful. There are also publications that rank the credibility of the sayings of Jesus, with red being sure and light pink being doubtful...
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited May 2007
    Dear All (yes all of you reading this),

here in Aus we have a newspaper with a 50/50 column where readers have almost free reign to write whatever.

One person wrote on the Monday, "Why is it that whenever I go to fill up at the service station, my fuel cap is on the wrong side?"

on the Tuesday, another nutbag wrote, "I agree with the person who wrote in about the fuel cap thing-it is just so annoying"

oh dear....

cheers
    Xray
    edited May 2007
    ...I read in a paper that someone was mad because he couldn't buy a left-handed ironing board......

Didn't I hear somewhere that re-birth in the human realm was the greatest privilege of all....? :crazy::grin:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2007
    Why would he want to iron his left hand? Is that like "My Left Foot?"

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2007
    Also, when people often look at me in puzzlement as to what I'm thinking or what I've understood, I quite often say: "I'm not half as dumb as I look," I invariably get the response: "Of course not. Nobody could possibly be that stupid."
    LMAO!!! GOOD one, Nirvana!!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2007
    Palzang wrote:
    Why would he want to iron his left hand? Is that like "My Left Foot?"

Palzang
    LOL! Who's a funny monk?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2007
    One day when I was in graduate school I was walking home with one of the professors who lived next door. His son, who was about 10, was along. He tried to trick me with some boyish riddle or something, so I told him, "I'm not as dumb as you look." He replied, "Yes, you are!" Both his dad and I broke up...

Palzang