Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

'Missing in action'- why I've been away..

PadawanPadawan Veteran
edited May 2007 in General Banter
Hi all, I thought I'd drop by to let you all know that I'm very much still alive and thinking of you all, and that I've been rather tied up with events offline to be able to spend much time in the cybersangha. At the Padawan household, we've been rather busy preparing the garden, which has taken rather a lot more work than we previously thought it would, and we hope to be finished in the next few weeks.

We discovered that the whole garden would need new topsoil, because rainfall and natural wellsprings in neighbouring gardens washed it all away, leaving us with hard clay that's good for pottery, maybe, but no so much so for plants! :lol: Over the past few weeks, we've been shovelling ten tons of new soil to prepare for the lawn amongst other things, and we've developed a real appreciation for the way in which the soil, plants and animals interact in the garden, and planning and working on everything has been almost meditative in the way it calms the spirits.

At the moment, I'm temporarily out of action, as I bruised my ribs during the course of moving some old concrete (Which I was clever enough to be underneath when I dropped it!) but although I'm bruised and battered, I'm very much unbowed, and hope to be back with you some more very soon, once I've recuperated and we have things sorted out.:)

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited April 2007
    How good to see you again, Padawan. Making a garden is the most satisfying thing that I have ever done. I transformed mine some eight years ago. It was a distraction from our focus on Chris dying day by day and we had fun as well as bruises, backache and blisters. This year it has reached a point where all the work is rewarded, although there is still work to be done.

Far better to make gardens than just about anything else in the world, I think! The 'improvements' that are destroying our dear National Health Service were typified for me when our local hospital removed its garden to build a new atrium of glass and concrete.

Why not post a pic or two of the work-in-progress.

Hope the bruises are not too painful. I find that arnica is sovereign for them.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2007
    Hugs Padawan! Glad to know all is well with you (other than your concrete-inflicted ailments!) Thanks for taking the time to drop in...I too have been thinking as to your whereabouts, and am glad you have re-surfaced....
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Padawan!! So good to hear from you! I hope the ribs aren't giving you too much grief and thanks for dropping in to let us know how you're doing. Have fun in your garden!
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited April 2007
    What's all this talk about ribs, Padawan? I figured you to be the type to grow a vegetarian garden.

Take it easy and enjoy the new creation!

Hope to see some pics (but not of the bruises).

Regards
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2007
    LOL!
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited May 2007
    Hi all, as promised, I'm back- and I have pics of the garden, which we managed to complete during this week. It was a major task to create, and hopefully, these pics will show you just how much work we put into it.

garden1before.jpg
    This first picture shows the view of the garden before works began- the garden is 100ft by 18ft, and mainly scrub and brambles, with no real lawn- the grass was mainly wild, and grew on hard clay, so before we could consider flowerbeds or lawn, we had to dig that all up, turn it over and add new topsoil. The garden is South facing, which is a major bonus, and means that we can grow many sun-loving plants once everything is done. The view looks Southwards, and shows the new fencing that enclosed our plot for the first time since we moved in. You can also see some decking, which was rotting and needed removal, as well as the brick out-building, which used to be a toolshed, coal store and outdoor loo, until we converted it into a toolshed, compost-bin store and potting shed.

garden2before.jpg

This next view looks again Southward, and shows the general poor state of the grass before we got to work, along with a few potted plants that we inherited when we moved here.

gardenbuild.jpg
    The work begins! The garden was cleared of all rubbish and debris, and the old decking was ripped up- the good wood was kept, and moved into our loft space to provide floorboards for future expansion upwards. Here, you can see the view looking towards the house, with 7 tons of hardcore being laid out pior to the new patio being built. As well as the hardcore, we also had delivered 15 tons of topsoil, 3 tons of sand, and about 1.5 tons of compost, to finish off the patio and prepare the garden for turfing. (My ribs got better with al the exercise of digging and moving that lot! :lol: )

The patio was built by a nice chap from my brother-in-law's building firm, and you can see the finished result in the next pic.

newgarden1.jpg

Our new patio! The stone cladding is Indian sandstone, which looks absolutely stunning, and has layers and strata running through it in all colours of the rainbow. There's even one stone that has perfectly preserved footprints in it, from whatever animal trod in that sand millions of years ago.

newgarden2.jpg
    The new view looking at the shed, and showing the patio stones in greater detail, along with some new plants and climbers we added.

newgarden3.jpg
    This is the new view looking South! 15 tons of topsoil meant we could level the garden properly, and finally lay a decent lawn. We also laid a gravel path past a large flowerbed (Just out of shot to the left) to the picnic area at the bottom of the garden. The flowerbed has a variety of flowers, and all manner of herbs, as well as tomatoes, peppers and other assorted veg. You can see some of that to the left of the picture next to the path, where the bed narrows to continue down the left-hand side.

newgarden4.jpg
    This last picture shows the flowerbed by the picnic area, which was bordered with logs cut from a couple of trees which we unfortunately had to cut down, as they were close to the house, and the roots would have posed a problem with the foundations if we allowed them to grow. Their beauty lives on, in a sense, by providing a natural border, which also allows shelter for the frogs and toads which always seem to find their way into our garden. Just behind the fence, we also discovered a foxes earth, where an urban fox and his vixen were caring for three fox cubs. We decided to name the picnic area 'Foxes' Corner' in their honour.

It was a major undertaking, and the garden is completely transformed- we're enormously pleased with our efforts, and we hope the garden will give us pleasure for many more years to come! :)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited May 2007
    Congratulations! It looks lovely. Now we need the sun back again so that you can enjoy the new patio.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited May 2007
    perfectly preserved footprints in it, from whatever animal trod in that sand millions of years ago.

could you get me a picture of the prints??? i'd love to see them.

Cheers,
    P.S. really nice job done-excellent work.!!
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited May 2007
    Fantastic work - it looks like a real treasure :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2007
    Wow! That's an incredible transformation, Padawan!! It looks like a massive amount of work and the result is heavenly. Congratulations!!
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited May 2007
    I'm jealous, I want a garden like that. Actually, that's half kidding. I do want my own meditation garden someday, but I'll just have to work hard to be in a position to buy my own house and plant one for myself.
  • edited May 2007
    wow, very beautiful work!