Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Another returnee

edited June 2007 in General Banter
I've been away from here so long I doubt in anybody will remember me. For those who don't and for the many who've found this wonderful place since I left, my original introduction can be found here. Why did I just disappear without a word? Well too a large degree it was about distancing myself from all religious influences so that I could fully understand and complete my deconversion from Christianity. I had to give myself space and time to begin to understand who I am, where I am and where I'm going (or want to go, at least). So after a couple of half-hearted attempts to return to Christianity I'm now finding the path is twisting back on itself to a certain extent. Why, oh why can't we see the hidden shortcut that would avoid the need for a long and lonely journey :confused:. If you don't laugh you'd cry. Anyway, here I am, starting again but perhaps a little further along the way this time.

Peace to you all
Ian

Comments

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited May 2007
    Glad to see you back here :)
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited May 2007
    "If you don't laugh, you'll cry" - words to live by. I use them quite a bit myself. It helps get through the day! :p

Welcome back :)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited May 2007
    Good to see you back, Ian. How's Sweden?

I'm not sure that there are any shortcuts: most of them seem to be byways or distractions.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2007
    Hi, Digger. I remember you, being somewhat long in the tooth myself. Welcome back!

I wouldn't worry about the hiatus. I think it's perfectly natural and a very healthy thing. When I was first starting out in Buddhism, I went in fits and starts myself, sometimes disappearing like you for a time to sort things out, then coming back. For us Westerners it's a real paradigm shift, so it takes our minds a while to adjust. The point is you're on the journey. Don't worry about where it takes you!

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2007
    Hya Digger! Tea? Milk? Sugar? Biscuit?
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited May 2007
    digger, a pleasure.

As for me, I joined and went on hiatus myself for a few months. That had to do with military training and my first pcs, but it also gave me some time to do what you did as well, which is figure myself out. It has been an interesting ride.
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited June 2007
    hey, i'll jump on the returnee bandwagon, too :)
    it's me - good ol' sabine. i took leave around december 2006 due to some...misunderstandings between a former member of the forum and me. however, once i thought about the trivial nature of the argument, i really started to miss newbuddhist and all of its great contributors! so here i am, ready to pick up the pieces :) i hope everyone's doing well!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2007
    Hey Sabine, welcome back!!! Same goes for you, Ian and bushinoki (even if it is a month late)!!!
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited June 2007
    Sabine wrote:
    hey, i'll jump on the returnee bandwagon, too :)
    it's me - good ol' sabine. i took leave around december 2006 due to some...misunderstandings between a former member of the forum and me. however, once i thought about the trivial nature of the argument, i really started to miss newbuddhist and all of its great contributors! so here i am, ready to pick up the pieces :) i hope everyone's doing well!

Great to see you're back. How's that friend of yours doing, btw? Hope things resolved themselves well for you.

metta
    _/\_
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2007
    Let me join the chorus and say it's really nice to see you back, Sabine!

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2007
    Sabine, you stay out this long again, and I'll ground you, take away your pink cadillac and not put candy in your lunch box! You bad Gurl!

Now eat your dinner!

Nice to have you back, pretty one!
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited June 2007
    i'm glad to be back, thanks everyone. i can't wait to see what all's been going on around the sangha.

not1not2 - everything eventually worked out in the end. after some pressure, he decided to stay stateside and get a college education, so he got some type of waiver thing from the marines. it's good to see that he reconsidered his future and whatnot :)

awwww, but, fede...! *pouts* yes ma'am...

well, tout le monde - quoi de neuf?

*edit* - oh, but don't get too used to having me back :D i'm going to be in washington DC from tuesday to saturday, so yet another mini-hiatus!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2007
    Hey Sabine! Great to see you back. Have fun in DC!