Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"Spider-man 3" Versus the Poisons 3

edited May 2007 in Buddhism Today
"Spider-man 3" Versus the Poisons 3
by Shen Shi'an, The Buddhist Channel, May 6, 2007

Dharma-Inspired Movie Review: www.Spiderman3.com

Singapore -- Stan Lee, the creator of Spider-man (played by Tobey Maguire) makes a cameo appearance in "Spider-Man 3", in which he remarks to Peter Parker (Spidey's "real" identity), on Spider-man's efforts of making the world a better place - "I guess one person can make a difference."

Indeed. All the significant good that ever occurred in the world were initiated by individuals - who inspired even more individuals. We might not have super powers, but where we have ability to help, we are already have the necessary powers. Lee, as an individual himself, made huge differences to the world through his creation of Spider-man in 1962. Though fictitious, Spider-man continues to bring home messages of righteousness and many other important issues through popular media.

Spider-man has become an urban "myth" of our times. Just as ancient mythological figures continue to inspire modern man, we can easily imagine folks in the future reliving lessons from Spider-man comics. Just as larger-than-life mythological figures accentuate morals to us in an entertaining manner, Spider-man, with his superpowers does this superbly. With the drama of life, his adventures are sometimes tragedies, sometimes comedies. Sometimes, characters don't have to be real to teach us real lessons.

One of the most unglamorous yet most realistic of superheroes, Spider-man in "real life" is neither rich nor popular. He gets bullied at school and struggles with his job. This makes him even more remarkable - for those who are heroic though they are not obliged to be are truly heroes. Already dealing with the "demands of Samsara" in his real life, his alter-ego voluntarily takes up the extra burden of doing his best to help the helpless. Though with adulating fans whenever saving the day, it's a largely thankless job when he takes off his mask. This is classic superhero altruism - selfless "Bodhisattva" style! By the way, he keeps his mask on not so much for an ego trip or self-protection, but to protect his loved ones from dangerous enemies.

Some lines from the movie teaser - "How long can any man fight the darkness before he finds it in himself? The greatest battle lies within." These lines remind me of Nietzsche's famous quote - "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby becomes a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." This quote from the Buddha also comes to mind - "Though thousand times a thousand in battle one may conquer, yet should one conquer just oneself, one is the greatest conqueror." In "Spider-man 3", the friendly neighbourhood superhero faces three supervillains - Green Goblin, Sandman and Venom, yet none are as formidable as his inner super demons - his three personal poisons of greed, hatred and delusion.

An alien symbiote attempts to fuse with Spider-man via his suit, forcefully "possessing" him. Black and slimy with malicious shape-shifting nature, the symbiote seems to be the perfect embodiment of the three spiritual poisons. Once these venomous parasites bind, unbinding is a challenge. The symbiote enhances Spider-man's aggression, making him prefer a darker shade of vengeful justice. Inevitably, dark justice becomes injustice. Facilitating justice and exacting vengeance involves two very different states of mind! It is part of the universal code of conduct that superheroes abstain from killing their enemies - this is likened to the first precept of abstaining from taking lives - even that of the opposition. All who can be spared should be spared. With loss of life, the chance to repent and reform is also lost.

Infected with the symbiote, Spider-man faces the doubly tough trial of overcoming "himself" while fighting external foes. Blinded by ego, he even became blind to those who love him. Thankfully, like all defilements, which are not innately of our true nature, our demons can be exorcised like all poisons should be purged. We need to constantly purge ourselves of evil, even as we attempt to purge the world of evil. Otherwise, we might be further poisoning the already poisoned with more evil. Successfully ridding the symbiote from himself, it infects Eddie Brock (played by Topher Grace) instead. Already boiling with rage at a grudge with Peter, he becomes a perfect host for the symbiote's purpose. Bound together, they transform to be his super-strong enemy - Venom.

Realising his mistake of having provoked Eddie, Spider-man had to lower his pride to seek help from Harry Osborn (played by James Franco) to rescue Mary Jane (played by Kirsten Dunst), who was held hostage by Venom and Sandman (played by Thomas Haden Church). Yes, "Everybody needs help. Even Spider-Man." Even Bodhisattvas help each other when needed. Harry had assumed the role of the Green Goblin to kill Spider-man. With the theme of forgiveness in the background, Harry realises he had mistaken him for killing his father, while Spider-man realises his mistake of almost killing Harry in a fit of anger. As Mary Jane uttered, "We've all done terrible things to each other, but we have to forgive each other. Or everything we ever were will mean nothing." Without forgiveness, we will only destroy each other. As the Buddha taught, "Hatred cannot be ceased by hatred; hatred can only be ceased by love."

Spider-man also forgives Sandman, whom he discovered to be the real killer of his beloved Uncle Ben. Seeing himself as a victim of circumstances, who "had" to rob to help his sick daughter, Sandman believed he isn't truly a "bad person"; just someone with "bad luck". He felt choicelessly compelled to be a petty criminal. We need to believe there are better choices. If all are to give in to criminal urges for our purposes, what would the world become?

We create our own "luck", or rather, karma - with the choices we make. Criminals are not forced to be criminals, while criminals force their victims to be victims. Even in desperate times, we need the courage and will to seek kinder and wiser means to make ends meet. As Peter remarks at the end of the film, we always have choices, and we can always choose to do what is right. Yes. If not, life would not be worth living for.

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited May 2007
    One reviewer has commented on the continuing theme which has recurred in so many films: when someone "goes bad", it is signalled by the person going to a jazz club. Fascinating that,. from at least The Blue Angel, if not before, jazz is a symbol of wickedness!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited May 2007
    Well, here in the states, it should really be termed as "learning the blues".

Delta bluesmen are still frowned upon by the idea that some pact with the Devil might have been made to gain one's ability to play the blues. :)

But then my post doesn't really have anything to do with this thread.

-bf
  • edited May 2007
    i saw it and it was so amazing!! it was so good i saw it twice!! SPIDERMAN OWNZ and yes I'm back ^^ havent been here in like a zillion years lol
  • edited May 2007
    I saw this with my wife last night. Was a great movie. The only gripe I have is sometimes the story was lost with everything that is gong on with the action and stuff. If they had spent just a bit more time clarifying the story it could have been alot better. But all in all, I liked it the most out of all 3 movies.
  • edited May 2007
    I thought it was good too. Jameson is my favorite character by far. But nothing can top "Batman Begins" with Christian Bale. I know the box office scores say differently, but then again Batman has always been my favorite hero.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2007
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Well, here in the states, it should really be termed as "learning the blues".

Delta bluesmen are still frowned upon by the idea that some pact with the Devil might have been made to gain one's ability to play the blues. :)

But then my post doesn't really have anything to do with this thread.

-bf
    Yeah, what's the name of the blues man who sold his soul to the devil at the crossroads? I always forget his name because it's such a generic name.
  • edited May 2007
    I thought it was good too. Jameson is my favorite character by far. But nothing can top "Batman Begins" with Christian Bale. I know the box office scores say differently, but then again Batman has always been my favorite hero.

I liked Batman Begins alot too. It was the best out of all the Batmans! I hope they do another one with Bale as Batman, he was the best one of them.
  • edited May 2007
    I liked Batman Begins alot too. It was the best out of all the Batmans! I hope they do another one with Bale as Batman, he was the best one of them.

They are in production of Batman: The Dark Knight already. The bad guy is going to be the Joker played by Heath Ledger and it will feature the introduction of Harvey Dent as well.

It is a trilogy as of now.

1st Oviously Batman's origins and the League of Shadows as the villains.

2nd Not much has been leaked. Katie Holmes is coming back I think as well as Bale. This one is about the 'escalation' alluded to by Gordon at the end of Begins. And of course the Joker.

3rd Even less is known. I think the Joker is in this one too but this time it is his trial. I predict the introduction of "Two Face" in this story.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited May 2007
    Brigid wrote:
    Yeah, what's the name of the blues man who sold his soul to the devil at the crossroads? I always forget his name because it's such a generic name.
    You speak of the immortal Robert Leroy Johnson, I think, Boo dearest.
  • edited May 2007
    Brigid wrote:

Robert Johnson
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2007
    YES! That's him! Thanks Arctic!