Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What the "Bleep" do we know?

edited December 2007 in Buddhism Today
Hello all,
Started reading this book and have seen the movie. Just wanted to know if anyone else out there has read it/seen it? I'm possibly behind the times, though I have found it has helped me cope with life.
:ausflag:

Comments

• XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited May 2007
    ? what?
  • edited September 2007
    I have seen the movie too. I recommend you the second part: Down the Rabbit Hole. I think this film is quite revealing, some say it´s all pseudoscience, but the truth is, I changed a lot after seeing it. Great film
  • edited September 2007
    What's it about?
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited September 2007
    Esau, how has bleep helped?

Please say more.

http://www.whatthebleep.com/whatthebleep/
  • edited September 2007
    Hello all,
    At the time I read the book and watched the movie I was making changes to my life. I actually was turning the whole 360...and still spinning. The book and the movie were a sort of catalyst that helped me along giving me a nudge....the science in it was incrediable also.
    I have to remind myself to step outside myself and see how I'm coping with life and the stratagies I have in place are working. I don't know if or where this could possibly relate to Buddhism??? I guess one thing would be that I was living with Atman (the false self, ego???) and that I am upon a path where I try and monitor just how much sense of self I allow in my life...

That's about it.....
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2007
    I am upon a path where I try and monitor just how much sense of self I allow in my life...
    I find that very well said, Esau. I try to do the same thing. It's a real balancing act, isn't it? On the one hand, ultimately there really is no "self" to speak of, but on the other we still have to have some kind of sense of identity to be psychologically healthy in this mad world. I guess I'm still pretty much at the beginning of the whole process, trying to identify and catch myself when I'm being self-cherishing/clinging to my ego. It's getting easier with each catch I make though and when I look back on my life I can see more clearly now how much pain and suffering my ego clinging has caused me.

Anyway, just wanted to say that. It's not connected to the actual topic of this thread since I've never read or seen "What the "Bleep"...". I was just struck with the way you described the "self" challenge, Esau.

I also want to extend a warm welcome to cacosomoza and randomaccess9999. It's lovely to see new people on this board. Hope you find this place as helpful and nourishing as I have.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited October 2007
    Hi everyone-just dropping in to say hello-I say BF's post about "good riddance"-the same to you mate!
    Hi Brigid

Love richard:o
  • edited October 2007
    Definitely a must-see. I have seen it about 4 times and recommend it to all my friends.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2007
    Actually I have major problems with the movie. First of all, a lot of it, like the water thing, is just pseudoscience that has no basis in fact at all. The other problem I have with it is that it is a vehicle produced by and for the benefit of a cult, the cult of Ramtha, as channeled by JZ Knight. Now, that's not particularly a problem, except that they don't tell you that anywhere up front. You have to dig a little online to find that out. I actually found Ms. Knight to be rather interesting and charismatic, probably one of the best things about the movie, but I'm not much into channeling, thank you, nor am I at all into phony science, which this movie is full of (not all of it, but most of it). Several of the bona fide experts interviewed were not at all happy with the way they were depicted either in the movie, as they edited their interviews heavily to support the party line.

So the bottom line on this movie is "caveat emptor."

Palzang
  • edited October 2007
    Palzang wrote: »
    Actually I have major problems with the movie. First of all, a lot of it, like the water thing, is just pseudoscience that has no basis in fact at all. The other problem I have with it is that it is a vehicle produced by and for the benefit of a cult, the cult of Ramtha, as channeled by JZ Knight. Now, that's not particularly a problem, except that they don't tell you that anywhere up front. You have to dig a little online to find that out. I actually found Ms. Knight to be rather interesting and charismatic, probably one of the best things about the movie, but I'm not much into channeling, thank you, nor am I at all into phony science, which this movie is full of (not all of it, but most of it). Several of the bona fide experts interviewed were not at all happy with the way they were depicted either in the movie, as they edited their interviews heavily to support the party line.

So the bottom line on this movie is "caveat emptor."

Palzang

I watched it again last night...it's been a couple years...I found myself drawing the same conclusions.
    I was thinking it was based more on science, but watching it again, there is a lot of BS...like the Indians not being able to see Columbus' ships.

The only thing I like about the whole thing and that I think they are correct about is that we all create our own realities...not to the extreme that they claim you can, but in little ways.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2007
    I agree, the message is great, but it's also obvious from watching the movie that they didn't really get it. They took it really literally, like the Indians part. But I also think it was more entertaining than your average Hollywood schlock...

Palzang
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited December 2007
    Hello all,

good to see there is still good debate going on here...

I'd love to hear from you all via email...

hint hint Brigid.

send to vcl455@hotmail.com

cheers!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2007
    Hi, dearest brother Xray. I shall write you an email shortly. So good to see you here again!