Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How do you start

edited May 2007 in Buddhism Basics
I've reached a point on my journey where I want to stop treating Buddhism as a philosophical and intellectual curiosity and instead start to understand it from a more practical perspective by actually practicing Buddhism (whatever that means). The big question is, where do I begin. Let me outline a couple of things about my situations so that you understand the issue.

1. I live in rural Sweden (Småland, for those who know it) and as far as I've been able to find out, there are no Buddhist communities or teachings within 200km.

2. After my experience with institutional Christianity, I'm not at all sure that I'm ready for another religion. No, more of a spiritual, developmental practice. Maybe this is selfish, but I feel its the best I can do at the moment.

3. I don't know which Buddhist tradition I feel most comfortable with, and because of 1 above, haven't really got any way to to compare them in the flesh, so to speak. All of my knowledge comes from books and sites like this and e-sangha.

Any comments and suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Ian

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2007
    digger,

That is a difficult question to answer. I know how I began, but that will not be very helpful to you. I began by visiting a nearby temple, learning how to meditate, and then studying the various doctrines in order to gain a better understand of what I was doing. The first temple that I chose to visit just happened to be less than three miles from my house. I heard about it from a friend of mine who visited once with Brian. He didn't care for it much, but fortunately for me, I did. I have been practicing ever since.

Finding out which tradition you feel most comfortable with is something that should be entirely up to you. Most places at least have a small website where you can learn more about them and their tradition, and many have teachings available for download. Once you have found a particular tradition or teacher that you feel somewhat comfortable with, write them a letter detailing your situation. Make sure to explain that you are isolated from any physical Buddhist communities, and that you are seeking guidance.

Jason
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2007
    Hi, Ian.

Let me add my perspective to the great advice Jason gave you.

Your situation sounds a lot like mine. I also live in a rural area where the closest group is quite a journey for me, especially because I'm physically disabled. I don't have an actual teacher so I follow various teachers with an emphasis on those from the Thai Forest Tradition, like Ajahn Chah, because that's the tradition I've chosen. Your experience with Christianity sounds a lot like mine too and when I found Buddhism I had already convinced myself that organized religion was never going to be my thing. It also took me a couple of years to find the right Buddhist tradition for me. Since I was never able to visit various temples or groups I had to research the different schools and traditions through books and the internet.

As for getting started in the practical sense, I started with the Four Noble Truths and the Noble Eightfold Path and put them to the test in my everyday life. I contemplate the Truths and the Path a lot and put the Path into practice everyday. I do the best I can and always strive to do better. I have gotten better over time because of the practicing.

Meditation should play the biggest role in your practice and you can go about it in the way you feel is best for you. I've heard His Holiness the Dalai Lama say that for beginners it's best to meditate for a short time a few times a day but it's up to you. I think it's pretty much agreed though that one should practice meditation at least once a day.

As for which tradition is right for you, I agree with Jason. Like the deeper truths of the Buddhadharma, you must find this out for yourself. In this day of the internet you have a wonderful opportunity to find out what the various traditions are like right from your home. Research as if you were writing a paper on the different traditions and see which ones pop out at you.

I think of my practice as being twofold; studying and practicing. I research and study the doctrines and contemplate them everyday and do everything I can to put into practice the Noble Eightfold Path as best I can everyday.

I hope this helps!

Love,
    Boo
  • edited May 2007
    my experience is as follows.

im now at a stage 10 years into buddhism.. i have only begun to find a comfortable tradition. and i thought i should have by now.. i have a monk friend who is very educated he is in his 90's and he told me to wait 10 years before deciding which one to follow. so im about on time i figure.
    i have dabbled with them all up until this point.
    keeping meditation my daily commitment. studying the 4 noble truths and the precepts.
    reading any interesting material .. and simply "i shut up and listen" i listen to myself what is going on and apply it to buddhism. it becomes a way of life. habits will change
    thoughts will continue but they wont be blown up. life will get simpler.
    i to have to temple to go to .. im miles away.
    yet a retreat is something of interest at the moment.
    just continue.. and meditation is key.

hope that helps
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2007
    Digger....
    I have no sangha save the ones I attend on line.
    I have no fixed tradition in mind, to follow, but I'm drawn to Tibetan....
    However, I glean the "Good" and logical from all the different disciplines...

Most importantly, I don't practise Buddhism.
    I live it.

It's not a question, (I have found, for me) of attempting to apply this or that teaching...It's a question of actually implementing it into my life, and making it a conscious and constantly attended habit....I have determined for myself to not follow Buddhism. I am striving daily to be it.
  • edited May 2007
    Thanks so much everybody. So much wise advice offered with such generosity. A few things really stand out for me.
    Jason wrote:
    Finding out which tradition you feel most comfortable with is something that should be entirely up to you. Most places at least have a small website where you can learn more about them and their tradition, and many have teachings available for download. Once you have found a particular tradition or teacher that you feel somewhat comfortable with, write them a letter detailing your situation. Make sure to explain that you are isolated from any physical Buddhist communities, and that you are seeking guidance.
    I'd really never thought about making direct contact like that. It is certainly something I'll do when the time is right.
    Boo wrote:
    I think of my practice as being twofold; studying and practicing. I research and study the doctrines and contemplate them everyday and do everything I can to put into practice the Noble Eightfold Path as best I can everyday.
    You are so right. I guess that if we get it right, study, practice and living become merged into a continuous entity, which is compassion.
    colleen wrote:
    life will get simpler.
    I know you're right, in theory at least. Perhaps practice, practice and more practice doesn't so much make perfect than simpler. I hope so, anyway.
    federica wrote:
    Most importantly, I don't practise Buddhism.
    I live it.

It's not a question, (I have found, for me) of attempting to apply this or that teaching...It's a question of actually implementing it into my life, and making it a conscious and constantly attended habit....I have determined for myself to not follow Buddhism. I am striving daily to be it.
    You have the most remarkable gift of being able to wrap up the wisdom of sages and make it accessible to the rest of us in a handful of succinct sentences. Long may you continue to do so.

I'm really at a loss for words at the moment (which is rare for me). I feel really blessed to be able to be a part of this community which encourages but doesn't patronize. I'd better go before my emotions get the better of me and I begin to cry virtual tears (of joy, I might add) all over the net.

One more thing. I'm going back to England for a few days at the end of the week. Does anybody know any good bookshops in London, Essex or Hertfordshire with a good selection of Buddhist books?

Love and peace
    Ian
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited May 2007
    Digger,

I don't know about bookstores, but here's the buddhanet listings for Dharma Centers/Viharas in England:
    http://www.buddhanet.net/wbd/country.php?country_id=76

London-
    http://www.buddhanet.net/wbd/province.php?province_id=87

Essex-
    http://www.buddhanet.net/wbd/province.php?province_id=99

Hertfordshire-
    http://www.buddhanet.net/wbd/province.php?province_id=102

Here's the listing for Sweden:
    http://www.buddhanet.net/wbd/country.php?country_id=74

Hope this helps you out.

metta
    _/\_
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited May 2007
    Digger,

We are very blessed, in this group, to have "Daily Dharma Drops". I have found them extremely useful. You may find the same. Today's is particularly valuable for both the beginner and the more experienced:

There are two principal kinds of mental development:
    1: Development of mental tranquillity and calm (samatha-bhavana) culminating in the development of concentration (samadhi-bhavana)
    And!
    2: Development of insight (vipassana-bhavana) culminating in the development of understanding (pañña-bhavana).

Both qualities, Calm and Insight, are essential & crucial for release!

Tranquil Calm (samatha) is the pleasant, peaceful, yet lucid state of a settled mind acquired as a preliminary to meditative absorption. It blesses the meditator with 3 things: Happy life, happy rebirth, & a mental purity suitable for gaining progressive penetrating insight!

Concentration is a necessary prerequisite for such cutting insight..

Why so? It removes distractions that veil the investigating vision!

Insight is that which leads to entrance of the 4 stages of Nobility..

Why so? It irreversibly removes gross & latent mental hindrances!

The term samadhi literally means ~being firmly put evenly together (sam + a+ dha) & is mental state focused on only one single object: cittass'ekaggata, which literally means ~ one-pointedness of mind.

Any state of consciousness has a degree of mental concentration!

One may distinguish these four stages or levels of concentration:
    1: Momentary or transient concentration (khanika-samadhi),
    2: Preliminary or preparing concentration (parikamma-samadhi),
    3: Access or approaching concentration (upacara-samadhi),
    4: Absorption or attainment concentration (appana-samadhi).

Insight (vipassana) is the penetrative understanding, gained by only direct meditative experience of the inherent transience, misery, & selflessness (anicca, dukkha, anatta) of all physical & mental states of existence all included in these 5 clusters (khandha) of clinging: form, feeling, perception, mental construction, and consciousness.

Bhavana is derived from the causative form of the verbal root bhu, bhavati = to be, to become, causing to be, making come into being, the calling into existence of, the production of or development of.

When applied to Mental Training this simply means Meditation...

My personal practice was given significantly more 'juice' when I read and reread Thich Nhat Hanh's Heart of the Buddha's Teaching.