Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Memento Mori

SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
edited June 2007 in Buddhism Today
The British artist Damien Hirst has always been shocking and, sometimes, disgusting in the exhibits that he has created. There have been times when I have been tempted to dismiss his work as nothing more than deliberately shocking for its own sake.

In his current exhibition, which is entitled "For God's Sake" (which has two distinct ways to be said), he has produced his most spectacular piece to date:

A platinum cast of a genuine skull, covered in diamonds. The teeth are the originals, cleaned up and reset.

I have rarely seen a more beautiful artifact that so cleanly speaks of the futility of wealth and the transience of power:

Comments

• MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited June 2007
    Art can confuse and disturb more than any other media, because it can touch our subconscious fears. It has been condemned and suppressed more than literature because it speaks to us so directly, crossing language barriers in a split second.

Simon, I had never heard of the artist, but I immediately had a similar interpretation before I even read your post. The phrase that came to mind was "you can't take it with you" and after "diamonds are made of carbon, and so are we".

Thanks for the post, I'm looking at his other works.

M.

::
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2007
    Tutankhamun's gold mask elicitted similar thoughts from me.
    I guess this might be viewed in the same vein, except that The Pharaoh's mask was created for an entirely different purpose. At the risk of using puns, Tutankhamun didn't have a price on his head.
    This has a well-publicised price tag of £50m.....

Do you think if we had a whip-round..................?