Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Centerville fourth-grader receives state's Young Hero award

edited June 2007 in Buddhism Today
I wanted to repost this for you guys. I've known this young man, Tyler, since he was an infant. I was excited to see that he was able to come through for his dad and get recognition for his bravery!

Centerville fourth-grader receives state's Young Hero award

CENTERVILLE — March 30 started out as an ordinary spring day for young Tyler McHenry and ended up with him being hailed as a hero.

That was the day he put lessons learned from the Centerville-Osterville-Marstons Mills Fire Department to save his dad, Byron.

Tyler, a fourth-grader at Centerville Elementary School, was relaxing at home in Hyannis after school while his father cleaned their pet gecko's cage.

Tyler's 9-year-old brother, Christopher, who has autism, was in another room.

Suddenly Byron McHenry, a single father who'd recently had back surgery, swayed and fell forward, striking his head and knocking himself unconscious.

Tyler didn't panic. He knew exactly what to do.

"I called 911 and told them that my dad fell down," Tyler said. "I felt calm, because I knew it was an emergency and if I didn't (stay calm) I'd be too scared."

Tyler stayed by his father's side until rescue crews arrived and took him to the hospital, where he was treated for back pain and a concussion. He was released after a few hours.

Yesterday, the State Fire Marshal's office presented Tyler with the "Young Hero" award for putting information he'd learned in school safety programs to use.

"Today is Tyler's day," Massachusetts State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan told students assembled for the award presentation at Centerville Elementary School.

He gave Tyler a certificate of recognition and a Young Hero T-shirt that the blond-haired boy pulled on over his red T-shirt.

Tyler is the fourth child in Massachusetts to receive a Young Hero award this year, and the 216th since the Young Heroes Program started in 1995.

Teaching assistant Stacey Vorlander notified fire officials about Tyler's actions after Tyler told her how he put lessons learned from Centerville-Osterville-Marstons Mills fire prevention officers Martin MacNeely and Frank Pulsifer to use.

"Those programs paid off," said COMM Fire Chief John Farrington. "Tyler learned how to dial 911 and get appropriate medical care. We're proud of the training he got here at Centerville Elementary School."

Byron McHenry said Tyler already was his hero for helping out so much with his younger brother.

"He knows the deal. He always knows the deal," he said. "If I was by myself, I don't know what would've happened."

Cynthia McCormick can be reached at cmccormick@capecodonline.com.

Comments

• XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited June 2007
    Great work! it's always good to associate with good people-he seems to be growing into one great human being!

best wishes!