Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A Gift For You

PalzangPalzang Veteran
edited June 2007 in Buddhism Today
In Mongolia I discovered that whenever someone there has a birthday, it is that person who gives others gifts, such as treating guests to dinner. It's a way, I think, of saying thanks to the world and one's fellow beings for being allowed this precious life. Since my birthday is coming up next week, I want to take this opportunity to offer you all a very special gift. It is a brand-new recording by my teacher, Jetsunma Ahkon Lhamo, of her singing the prayer to Amitabha. This is a particularly powerful prayer for those passing from this life. She intends it to be played in hospices, animal shelters, wherever beings are close to death. But it is also a powerful prayer for all beings to hear. Just click here, which will take you to our temple's home page, where you will (hopefully) hear the song being played. You can also download the file and save it. Please feel free to distribute this far and wide, to other Buddhist sites you may visit, any humane shelters, hospitals or hospices that may be open to playing it, wherever. In fact, I most strongly encourage you to do so!

Palzang
(who is getting much too old to be celebrating birthdays!)

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2007
    Thank you, dear young Palzang!

Never too old to celebrate a birthday. After all, we live such short lives and there are few enough reasons for celebration.

Our 60s are such fun, aren't they.

Also, please thank your revered teacher for such a wonderful gift to us all.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2007
    Well, to paraphrase W.C. Fields' epitaph, I'd rather be skateboarding!

And I will pass along your thanks to Jetsunma.

Palzang
  • edited June 2007
    Palzang-la, I don't know if this is a compliment, but I almost cried listening to the recording. I express my deepest gratitude to you and your teacher.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2007
    Well, it's supposed to arouse compassion in you, so I'd say you gave it the highest compliment!

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2007
    My Kaspersky Anti-Virus is blocking it from loading. If anyone knows how to reconfigure it to allow the MP3 file to load could you please let me know? I really want to hear it. Anything to do with the process of dying is very important to me so I'm dying (get it?) to hear it.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2007
    There should be a setting somewhere that allows you to open files of your choice.

Just an update, we are offering free CDs of this song (the full 20 minute version) to anyone who wants them. Just go to http://palyulproductions.org/html/new_music.html.

Order as many as you like! All we ask is you pay for postage and handling. This is intended to get the prayer to as many people (and animals) as possible, particularly those who are dying or near death.

This prayer is the prayer to Amitabha from our Phowa practice. Phowa is the practice of the transferral of consciousness at the moment of death.

Palzang