Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Some assistance please...

edited June 2007 in Buddhism Basics
...I have been reading quite a bit about the "false" teacher Michael Roach. I am becoming more and more familiar with the issues people have with him, and they seem quite spot on. I am looking for your input, and your knowledge on this guy. Thanks !

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2007
    ...I have been reading quite a bit about the "false" teacher Michael Roach. I am becoming more and more familiar with the issues people have with him, and they seem quite spot on. I am looking for your input, and your knowledge on this guy. Thanks !

All I can tell you is my experience of him. Back in the '90s he was a wonderful teacher. He was the first American to receive the Geshe degree in the Gelugpa school. He's very bright, multilingual, really rigorous in his logic. He was invited to come to our temple in Maryland once to teach on the Vinaya, and it was wonderful. He also wrote some excellent books.

Then he founded his retreat center down in central Arizona and went on a 3 year retreat. After the retreat he was like a changed man. I ran into him at the Dalai Lama's teachings in Tucson in September, 2005. I almost didn't recognize him. It was like no one was home anymore. Sort of like Ronald Reagan (except he was always like that!). It was actually a little scary to talk to him. He had this weird look in his eye that was totally, utterly demented. I don't even know how to describe it. I think what happened was he got cooked on his retreat, which does happen sometimes. Retreats bring out one's poisons, and it seems like his got the best of him. Now he is off teaching all kinds of crazy stuff, has a female "consort" (even though he's ordained), and seems to have gone off the deep end in a big way. This is something that my own teachers have also confirmed. It's a very painful thing to watch for those like me who knew him when he was very different. I can only pray that whatever demons have possessed him can be exorcised and that he can return to the way he once was, but the problem is he thinks he's become enlightened or something, so he doesn't see it as a problem. Many of his long-time students, however, do see it as a major problem.

Palzang
  • edited June 2007
    I'm glad you wrote about your experience Palzang, it helps alot. I didn't mean to necessarily call him a "false" teacher, that's why I put it in quotations. Rather than believing everything I hear I was looking for exactly what you wrote, someone with the experience who might actually know/knew him. So thank you very much.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2007
    This is so sad. I had not heard of this poor man but it distressingly common, isn't it. This seems particularly so when a teacher either gets to the top of a pyramidal hierarchy or decides that they are 'enlightened/saved' and so don't need any form of teacher themselves.

We all need someone whom we trust to tell us when we go off the rails and whom we respect enough to obey. This no truer than among the powerful, secular or religious.

How terrible to wake one morning and realise what a mess one has made of such a good start.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2007

How terrible to wake one morning and realise what a mess one has made of such a good start.

More terrible is to NOT realise this.... :(
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2007
    Exactly, Fede. That's a real hell realm!

Palzang