Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

In the Moment...

edited June 2007 in Buddhism Basics
I have to admit, I am VERY guilty for thinking of things that are out of my control, dwelling, worrying, ATTACHMENTS! I have many many times made myself sick or crazy or both, over things. For the past 18 months, I have been reading so much on Buddhism, and to the best of my ability, practicing it. I have read and heard so much about living in the moment, not dwelling on the past, worrying, hoping, wishing on the future.

After I thought I was doing pretty good. "letting go... of attachments...." Until today. Today I realized, I have a lot of work to do. But I CAN do it!

Today I went for my first skydive. :rockon: It was absolutely amazing, breathtaking, and I couldn't have been more 'in the now', unattached, and free than I was for that 30 minutes. From the time of getting on the plane, the 20 minute ascent to 10,000 feet, 45 second free fall, and 5 minute descent to earth. I am not sure I can put into words that feeling. It was for me, a enlightening moment, a moment of pure bliss.

I am interested to know any of your personal 'blissful moments', where you have felt that "WOW! so this is what it's like!" feeling.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2007
    I can equate....
    Silly, but I am more mindful and aware of those moments of Empty Bliss' and how frequent they can be...
    I absolutely understand how extraordinarily liberating that experience must have been for you - a real wake up call to Lighten up!

Although not as extreme and hair-raising, I notice that when I see something so stunningly beautiful that it takes my breath away, my Mind has touched that Empty Bliss moment of experience....
    A recent example is turning a corner of a street and seeing a tree full of blossom, against a blue sky, early one morning...the pink of the blooms contrasting with the azure Emptiness, just brought me both physically and mentally, to a halt.

maybe this has also crossed your mind...

(I am naturally delighted that no such thing happened of course, but)

...What if during your blissful descent, your parachute had failed to open?
    let us just say and assume for a moment, that you would be capable of suppressing - or even experiencing at all! - the feelings of fear and panic....
    Knowing the complete Bliss of total 'Emptiness' and knowing this 'was it' is an extraordinary lesson in Living in The Moment.

This in fact, is how we should all be living, every nanosecond of every day...

That you caught such a spectacular 'View' of it, is enviable, and quite the best thing you could use, as a pointer and reminder to you, of what Self/Non-Self and being Present and Mindful, is.
  • edited June 2007
    I too have had those moments when in spring, the trees are full, flowers bloom...a blue sky...but those moments came and went so quickly....because I let me mind move on.
    After my jump, I have noticed that I give myself more time to enjoy it.

As for the the malfunctioning parachute...I thought of that in the plane. "This could be it. I may not live totell about this". I wasn't 'freaked out' about it. I felt totally at peace.
    Now, if I thought that on the way down....and my pull failed to open the parachute, I may have panicked...
    (But there is always a backup canapy packed in the rigger (diving term for packback) ).
    The whole experience was so surreal.
    I think, well I know, it has changed me. I believe that at some level, it will halp along my path...
    thanks for you input, Fede.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2007
    Ngak’chang Rinpoche says:
    If you were to fall to your death from a very great height; it would be a shame not to enjoy the view as you fell, or to appreciate the wind in your hair or the warmth of the sun on your face. To experience the raw voltage of being alive, requires that we learn to lick honey from the razor's edge.
  • edited June 2007
    ooo! I like that Simon! Thanks!