Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why the Sopranos Ending is Great

MagwangMagwang Veteran
edited June 2007 in General Banter
My wife asked me why I watch the Sopranos when it is so violent and I am the most non-violent person she knows. “I don’t watch it for the violence”, I said, “it's a fascinating study of morality and mortality in America." 80 hours of great (and some not so great) TV over 7 years. And then I can cancel my cable since that was the last show that I followed.

And I had a feeling the ending would be bad. One of the most famous TV families in TV history would be murdered. Everyone knew the ending would be violent, and there wasn’t a big one yet and you know it’s going to be big. I was on a rollercoaster ride to the top of that hill and the only choice was to get off (change the channel) or watch it (duh).

Sopranos Finale: Shot-by-Shot Analysis of Final Scene

Except that in this Zapruder film, there is no pink cloud, except behind the black-out period. Imagine the uproar showing that would have created if they showed Tony and his family murdered and Meadow's agony. We would all have kept on watching too, if they had. We are witness to routine murder in America now.

Tony is always obsessing over the meaning of paintings (the general portrait of Tony, Dr. Mrelfi’s art), yet he doesn't see what is about to happen to him. As soon as I saw that I know this was the last scene.

Tony started counselling in Ep 1.1 because his black-outs were interfering with his work. The black-out comes because he doesn't hear the bullet, not because he fainted.

At the end Tony's death was his own hubris, he was caught off-guard. Don't Stop Believing you're immortal. He should have known that Phil would have ordered a personal family hit. Or maybe Patsy Parisi.

And Tony would have been shot first, because that would be too risky for a lone gunman to shoot any other family member first, excetp maybe AJ. Jacket guy was obviously waiting for 1+3 but doesn't. That dolly left wide shot Jacket man walking to the bathroom was the most gut-wrenching for me.

Meadow seems anxious in every shot, especially running across the road. But Meadow lives for sure. Meadow's contraception: controlling her destiny and heritage (that damn Soprano gene!). I’m convinced also that Meadow did watch her family’s murder.

I think the ending made the series. It haunts me.

But now I have that song stuck in my head…

::

For those of you who don’t watch the show or need a refresher:

Absolutely, pretty much, everything that happens in the series.

This video will having you say Oh! ** PARENTAL GUIDANCE - LANGUAGE**

Comments

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited June 2007
    Magwang wrote:
    But now I have that song stuck in my head…

Yeah. BTW, what is the name and performer of that song?

I never watched The Sopranos, but have watched the last couple minutes of the finale, because of the Hillary take, etc.

GO HILLARY!!!!
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited June 2007
    Journey / Don't Stop Believing
  • edited June 2007
    I concur. Watched the morality play (the good, bad and boring), and happily un-attached myself from HBO the very next day. :) I liked the ending as well. It was an ending that said, 'What did you expect'? LOL!