Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddha Or Bust

edited October 2007 in Buddhism Today
Has anyone else read this book? I am almost finished with it. (the only thing holding me up is this strange practice I have of NOT finishing books I really like, because then the joy of reading it is over.)

Anyway, it is a fascinating study of how American Buddhism is affecting Buddhism in Asian cultures. I would be interested in what people here think of it.

Comments

• not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited June 2007
    Has anyone else read this book? I am almost finished with it. (the only thing holding me up is this strange practice I have of NOT finishing books I really like, because then the joy of reading it is over.)

Anyway, it is a fascinating study of how American Buddhism is affecting Buddhism in Asian cultures. I would be interested in what people here think of it.

Haven't read it, but is it (by any chance) by the Ven. Robina Courtin? I have several of her Dharma talks downloaded from lamrim.org.

metta
    _/\_
  • edited June 2007
    Are you speaking of

Buddha or Bust: In Search of Truth, Meaning, Happiness, and the Man Who Found Them All - by Perry Garfinkel?

If so, it is on my list to read, but my list exceeds my current capability & capacity. There are 10 reviews on Amazon .......
    edited June 2007
    hmmm.... just did a google search & i'm not sure where I came up with Ven. Robina Courtin. I do have some sort of association between her & the term "buddha or bust" though.

metta
    _/\_
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2007
    Maybe you were thinking "Buddha with a Bust?" Ooops, did I say that!? :wtf:

Palzang
  • edited June 2007
    [Totally ignoring that last post....]

Garfinckel shows some interesting cross fertlization. For example, Thai Buddhist go to the Naropa Institute in Boulder, CO to learn how to meditate with students in an academic setting. A Buddhist doctor from Hong Kong goes to Mass to study with Jon Kabot-Zinn on using meditation for pain reduction.

Garfinkel also protrays his own issues as he retracks the life of the Buddha and the development of Buddhism. I liked it a lot, but then I am mostly a beginner or dabbler in Buddhism.
    edited June 2007
    Thanks for the help, Palzang, but I don't think that's the association I had in mind. :D I believe that I remember her either talking about that saying back from the 60's/70's era or seeing a picture of her with a sign that said that. However, this may be a misplaced association.

metta
    _/\_
  • edited June 2007
    [Totally ignoring that last post....]

Garfinckel shows some interesting cross fertlization. For example, Thai Buddhist go to the Naropa Institute in Boulder, CO to learn how to .......

Having spent 12 years in Boulder it is a melting pot of Buddhist traditions as well as home to many devout practioners; followers; dabblers, and teachers.

I found it hard to keep traditions straight and at Naropa it was very broad spectrum exposure to all types and forms.

Might have to move this book up my list a notch or 5 .......

Thanx :thumbsup:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2007
    I thought it was a choice of the two options, in which case, unquestionably I'll go for the former, although twenty years ago I would have been sorely tempted to go for the latter....:tongue2: :D
  • edited September 2007
    I am reading it right now for a review on a website I write for. It is interesting thus far. I liek how Perry writes, like he is one of your friends telling you about his vacation yet educating us about Buddhism.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited September 2007
    I don't think I've read the book, but as an Asian Buddhist, I must admit - without American Buddhism, there would be no Buddhism for me, totally.

You know it kind of goes East to West... And back? Yeah, it's like a copy of a copy, not that it matters, in this world of signs and simulacra. :) [Woah! Ajani's in his philosophical mood!]

Heh, Buddhism diminished greatly in Asia as a philosophy and religion with the Western advance of Christianity some centuries ago, I would say, but at least we had our revenge by bringing Buddhism west first - now it's being paid back! :D
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2007
    Well, Ajani, that's exactly what's happening right now in Mongolia. Us round eyes are over there helping the Mongolians reestablish Buddhism in their country. Quite remarkable when you think about it.

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2007
    "Pendulum swing like a pendulum do...."

If I have taken one lesson out of "What makes you NOT a Buddhist" by Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse, it's that nobody has a monopoly on anything, and neither can they assume the unique right to that monopoly...
  • edited October 2007
    On a slightly lighter note........If you go to a buddhists' home...you'll find an abundance of dust bunnies in the corners. That's because their vacuum cleaners have no attachments either........
    <<snerk>>
    sorry.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2007
    Lol!! Darn! As I was reading your post, Zasetsu, I was getting a little excited thinking "I'm not the only Buddhist with a dusty house...!!" and then I read the punchline...:)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2007
    Brigid wrote: »
    Lol!! Darn! As I was reading your post, Zasetsu, I was getting a little excited thinking "I'm not the only Buddhist with a dusty house...!!" and then I read the punchline...:)

I'm sure this has been posted before but there is a perfect way to deal with the problem of receiving visitors in our dusty, untidy homes - after all we have much better things to do, don't we?

The answer is to buy a few "Get Well Soon" cards and put them around the place. People will excuse any untidiness and lavish kind attention on you.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2007
    Lol!! Great idea, Simon! Thanks!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2007
    Simon, are you sure you don't sell used cars?

Palzang
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2007
    Palzang wrote: »
    Simon, are you sure you don't sell used cars?

Palzang

Wouldn't you buy one from me, dear friend?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2007
    I don't know, you're pretty slippery!

Interesting factoid: in my home town when I was growing up there was an actual used car dealer named Crook. Truth.

Palzang