Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A non-theist Jewish siddur

SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
edited July 2007 in Faith & Religion
Dr Tzemah Yoreh has produced a non-theist, feminist Jewish prayer book, a siddur:

http://www.thejc.com/Home.aspx?ParentId=m13s100&AId=53205&ATypeId=1&secid=00&prev=true

Many of us, describing ourselves as non-theists, humanists and secularists, still find value in worship and forms of prayer. For those of us who have used the siddur, this new approach could be very useful.

Comments

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited July 2007
    By Alex Stein in the JC.com
    For example, the Shema is preceded with the following: “May favour be found in the recitation of these verses — a respectful echo of the belief of my ancestresses and ancestors, who devotedly worshipped Adonai. For although I cannot sing odes to a patriarchally imagined deity, as it says in the Torah (Deuteronomy 4:16): ‘Do not act corruptly by making an idol for yourselves, in the form of any figure — the likeness of male or female’, the tradition of my parents is carved in my heart in immutable letters.”

Cool, Dr. Tzemah Yoreh points out things I've never thought of before. Very Interesting.