Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Flooding in Gloucestershire

SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
edited July 2007 in Buddhism Today
You prayers and good thoughts are welcomed by those of us who are affected by the disastrous floods. We are about to lose our water supply, which will mean over 500,000 people without clean water, and our electricity may go off at any moment.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2007
    Simon, are you OK, both in yourself, and medically?
    has your town/home been hit?

How are you coping, is there anything I can do?
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited July 2007
    Blessings for your kindness, Fede.

We have been lucky. We still have electricity and wster, although pressure reduced. We have three families from Gloucester living with us for the moment: they have lost everything. It's a bit crowded but we're managing.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2007
    Well, keep your head up (literally)! I hope the rains cease soon. We could use a little of it out this way if you can do some mo-jo and send it here!

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2007
    Sending my prayers!! How awful! Simon, please take care and know that I'm thinking of you and all who are affected.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2007
    Actually all of Europe is getting hammered this week. Extreme heat in Southern Europe has killed a number of people and made life miserable for the rest. The rains in Southern Texas (not in Europe) are unrelenting and causing widespread flooding and disruption.

It's the end of the world as we know it....

Palzang
  • edited July 2007
    Yes, we are flooding like crazy in Texas, but it's better than record-breaking heat again this summer, so I'm not complaining.
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited July 2007
    mfoc, I don't know what I'd prefer, the flooding or the record breaking heat, and the part of Cali I'm from is subject to both. At least all you have to do to get away from the heat is turn on the AC and stay inside, though that was never my way (122, bah, I'm taking a walk)
    edited July 2007
    This may give you some idea of what we are facing:

• edited July 2007
    Simon,

Keep you sense of humor and head above water. Just think of all the money people spend on vacations to Venice - you have it at home!

Seriously, best wishes, hopes and prayers to keep you and your family and friends safe.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, what's the problem? A little boating excursion out past the cathedral - just because it's down a street rather than a stream, so what? We're actually getting a bunch of rain here, believe it or don't, with some (minor) flooding. Must be the season...

Palzang
    edited July 2007
    Thank you to all those who have offered help, prayers, good thoughts and kind words. The 'refugees' have gone to stay with their families elsewhere and the house seems very empty again. We had some good times, although the children were very scared each time the rain lashed down and the wind shook the house. In the evenings, I cooked for us all - great fun! Reminded me of being back at archaeology camps. Then we settled down in my study, all ten of us sometimes, for story-telling or a few songs or just some 'quiet time'. The kids seemed to take to 'quiet time' as all kids seem to do.

Now I have lots of laundry. Only one child so traumatised that they wet the bed but I had the foresight to put on mattress covers!

One of the women is a sex-worker who had some hilarious stories of what she now says will have to be 'street swimming'.

All the time, I was reminded of the words of Longchenpa:
    Since everything is but an apparition, having nothing to do with good or bad, acceptance or rejection, one may as well burst out laughing
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2007
    That's a great quotation!! I'm printing that and putting it up where I can see it everyday!

Thanks, Simon.

I hope you're not too lonely now they've gone. And I hope the rains have receded!
    edited July 2007
    Thanks for asking, Boo. Glad you like the quote. Longchenpa is definitely up there in my favourite top ten.

As for lonely. No. The return of peace and quiet is wonderful, too. We are hearing forecasts of more rain unfortunately so we are still on flood alert. Drinking water is becoming a growing problem. Some people are stockpiling at the expense of others. There is some looting but most of the possessions are ruined anyway.

Some of us are making sure that our local animal shelter, which now has no running water, is getting supplies.

It is worth bearing in mind that we have been used to a very moderate climate so that extreme events like this have not been experienced for over 200 years. People panic and there is a lot of psychological damage to comfort and help with.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, great quote, Simon. Reminds me of the "archaic smile" you see on Etruscan art. It is really all a big, cosmic joke!

Speaking of animal shelters, the CD that my teacher put out with the "Prayer to be reborn in Dewachen" is designed to be played for those who are dying or, in the case of animals, are scheduled to be euthanized. We're distributing them free to animal shelters and hospices here. If you'd like to supply some to places near you (maybe after things dry up!), you can get them at www.palyulproductions.org. Just a thought. You can download it free or order CDs for just the cost of shipping and handling.

Hope the sun comes out soon!

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2007
    The government should be handing out those tablets that make water drinkable, the kind you use for camping. I wonder how contaminated the rain water is, or if that's even being measured, because it doesn't take much to put together a natural filtration system. You have to have clean water to drink. I hope the famous pragmatism of the English kicks in soon and people stop panicking. Possessions are one thing but survival is another. (How's that for stating the obvious? lol!) Sending prayers, Simon. Keep us posted on how you're doing.