Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A useful thought

SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
edited August 2007 in Faith & Religion
Yesterday, I had one of my regular meetings with a fellow-pilgrim, a Chjristian priest who lives in community and works in a very under-resourced suburb. He mentioned a sermon he had heard by an Orthodox priest which had made strong impression. I share it here for those who, like me, still find inspiration in the Jesus story but are also disturbed by some of the current Christian rhetoric.

If we consider the story of the first Council of the church, when the apostles met and decided that circumcision was no longer to be imposed and the dietary rules of Leviticus were to be abandoned, we are given a lesson. The New Testament gives us no indication that slavery is unacceptable but, today, we have come to the decision that the NT's permissive attitude to chattel slavery is no longer right view.

Thus, both OT and NT attitudes have had to be adjusted and, even, abandoned in the light of new understanding. The Mind of Christ urges us to this.

This being the case, we are not only able but also required to look at those prohibitions to which the churches still cling and ask ourselves if they truly reflect truth or if they have become scandalous obstacles. The (to me inaccurate and context-linked) strictures against same-gender love and commitment fall into this category. There may be others, too.

If you are tempted or trapped into debate with Bible-quoting Christians, the argument about slavery provides us with a clear and persuasive evidence that old attitudes must be left behind when they are outgrown. Mind you, you'll still never convince the bigot because their bigotry is dearer to them than compassion, justice and peace.

Comments

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited August 2007
    Another useful thought on this topic is the subject of loneliness.

Do people have the right to seek the company of others so as to fulfill their social needs, or should anyone a bit "diifferent" have to suffer out his "sin" in solitude and loneliness?

The right not to be lonely, the right to seek out compatible human company?

In the end, does it all boil down to PUNISHING people who don't play by the same rules?

????
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited August 2007
    Oh, and I forgot to mention:

Besides acknowledging the right of gay people to make homes together this idea of the right of people not to be lonely, would also assert the right of people to divorce and remarry. What could be more lonely and frightening than a marriage in which a person is trapped against his or her will?

What about the right of [the] people peaceably to assemble? Could it be argued in a narrower way than that in which the founders apparently meant? The definite article here would be a bit tricky to maneuver around, though, I think.