Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A Quiet Time

SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
edited November 2007 in NewBuddhist.com
Brian,

Do we need to promote this wonderful place more actively during this quiet time or would it be counter-productive?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2007
    Yes....But I'm not quite sure what we could do.....
    This isn't the only Buddhist forum I frequent, but I have to say it's pretty "Quiet" everywhere at the moment....
    Today, (15th August 2007) many countries worldwide are celebrating a national holiday (the UK being one of the notable European exceptions....!) so work is going to be pretty limited too, as I have contacts in several of these countries who are either absent from work today, or are on annual holiday.
    I'm supposed to be recruiting participants for a conference my company is hosting in September. Of 48 French contacts, 36 Spanish contacts and 79 Italian contacts, (163 in all) I have managed to speak to only 12 IN TOTAL..... The remainder are all on holiday - !!

I'd like to know what we can do to "recruit" without proselytising - !! :D
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2007
    Indeed, Fede. Today is the Feast of the Assumption.

C. G. Jung considered that the definition of this doctrine, on 15 August 1950 by Pope Pius XII (Eugenio Pacelli), was one of the most significant events of modern spiritual history. Despite his Protestant background, he understood that this was, in effect, a renewal of veneration for the Mater Magna, the Great Mother Goddess.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2007
    In Italy, it is referred to as Ferragosto, which comes from the latin FerioAugustum - a holiday held in honour of the Emperor Augustsus. But The Catholics, as ever take everything over....

I'm kidding!! :crazy: :D
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited August 2007
    Feel free to promote the site as much as you want! :) There's never a bad time for that :p
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited August 2007
    Let me finally chime in on this one:

NB has been quiet for a very long time, but that's better than an over-noisy site where there are countless hands to parce your every word into a thousand pieces. That sort of thing is fit only for scavenging dogs.

And, for the most part, what we have here is people of good will, a lot of sense, and valuable things to say.

And, finally, most importantly, those of us with some years behind us know how to listen and understand one another. When a person is incapable of dialogue he is not part of the solution of any problem. The only appropriate response after a while is complete silence.

AMEN.
  • edited September 2007
    on a quiet time:

though i trained in the uk to teach adults english as a second language here in japan most of my work is with kids. rewarding though this may be in itself i've found myself in a situation whereby personnel are stretched so thinly that levels of stress can be considerably high. the peak of which is every thursday when too many little bodies are squashed into a tiny little room for 45 minutes of occasional tears, singing, crafts and english!
    usually i end up finishing the class feeling like an eigth of a shell of a person! so last week i decided to try something:
    before the lesson proper began i asked the kids if they wanted to play a game. the game was: 'can you sit still without moving or talking for 15 seconds?'
    of course, they loved it and it totally changed the atmosphere for the rest of the class.

i suppose what i mean is - especially in a realm of communication and learning, silence and quiet times have great value.
    (*^-')ノ
    edited September 2007
    BSF,

For a couple of years, I educated my son Jack at home. For some of that time, he was joined by a few other children. They had been excluded from school for "challenging behaviour". Because they were joining us, they fitted into our daily programme which began with 20 minutes of silent meditation. I never had any problem with their behaviour. Indeed, they would come and ask for further silent times when they felt they were getting upset.

Teaching our young people the power of silence in a world that bombards them with noise and activity may be the greatest and most valuable lesson they can learn.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2007
    I agree!
  • edited September 2007
    I also agree...... quiet is good.

My youngest son has had several questions of late about Buddhism. I told him to join NB and do some reading and ask some questions. He said he would so maybe just word of mouth would help.

Boo is the one who told me about NB when I met her on myspace........
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited September 2007
    And I met Deb in a dark alley behind a bar.

Remember that?

Good times.

-bf
  • edited September 2007
    Oh yeah, I remember BF........... :eek2:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2007
    I always figured you for an alley cat, bf.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2007
    LOL!!!
  • edited September 2007
    Simon,

how old was your son when you starting having "quiet time" with him? I want to start that with my daughter, who is 4 years old. Any advice on how to make it work? She has a hard time sitting still! :) As any 4 year old does, I think.
    edited September 2007
    YogaMama wrote: »
    Simon,

how old was your son when you starting having "quiet time" with him? I want to start that with my daughter, who is 4 years old. Any advice on how to make it work? She has a hard time sitting still! :) As any 4 year old does, I think.

He was 9 and found it hard the first couple of times so I started by helping him 'watch' and count breaths for five minutes at a time. Very quickly, he wanted me to 'shut up' and let him do it on his own - but that's typical of Jack!

Images of the Buddha and HHDL meditating helped too.
  • edited October 2007
    Thanks for the tip, Simon. I will try this technique with my daughter and se ehow it goes. My husband is going to build me a nice little meditation table to put up some candles and images, so maybe that will help.
    edited October 2007
    Here is one of Jack's favourite images of HHDL:

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, that's a great picture, Simon.

Palzang
    edited October 2007
    Looks like my Dad when he used to fall asleep watching golf.

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2007
    Maybe His Holiness is a big fan of cricket...
    edited October 2007
    Really?

I can't picture His Holiness in a tophat. But, I bet he would look cool. :)

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2007
    Jiminy Lama?
    edited October 2007
    Palzang wrote: »
    Maybe His Holiness is a big fan of cricket...

The Tibetan staff at the Pema Thang guesthouse plus a fair number of young monks crammed into the dining room to watch the Triangular Cricket Tournament which was on television from the Emirates while I was in McLeod Ganj. The nightly cut-off of the electricity at 7.30 pm brought heavy groans. One of the first gifts from the great Pandit Nehru to Mrs. Tsering Dolma Takla, the elder sister of His Holiness the Dalai Lama and foundress of the Tibetan Children's Village Schools was a full set of cricket equipment.

I regret that I did not ask HH which county he supports!
    edited October 2007
    I wonder if the heavy groans could be equated to "clinging"?

Damn.

-bf
    edited October 2007
    Hey!

Buddhafoot's back and

It's still Quiet?

I don't get it.

We Love You, bf!
    edited October 2007
    Shhhh... I dont' think anyone knows I'm back yet.

-bf
  • edited October 2007
    Too late, you've already had your picture posted all over the boards now. And now I've spotted buddhafootprints...
    edited October 2007
    My new disguise...

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited October 2007
    OMG!!! That's hilarious!!! What happened to that poor cat??
    edited October 2007
    Well, Brigid, this is a Secret,

but look at what bf's up against now:
    edited November 2007
    He looks evah so punch-drunk to me....
    is that 'punch' as in fisticuffs, or 'punch' as in drinks mixer, I hear you ask ...?
    Yes, exactly...... :D
  • edited November 2007
    Simon, that picture is now one of MY favorite images. I love that and where did you get it? I'd love to print a good copy and put it on my altar.
    edited November 2007
    YogaMama wrote: »
    Simon, that picture is now one of MY favorite images. I love that and where did you get it? I'd love to print a good copy and put it on my altar.

Not guilty!
  • edited November 2007
    Here is one of Jack's favourite images of HHDL:

Simon,

I was referring to this post of yours....I'm not sure what you meant by "not guilty"? :confused: