Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Vive les vacances

SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
edited September 2007 in General Banter
I have decided to take a couple of weeks away down in Cornwall. The cottage I go to has no 'phone, no internet coverage - wonderful. I hope nto get a lot of writing done, a lot of walking, time with some of the ancient saced sites where I first fel wouivre. I may wander in to Penzance occasionally where all the impediments of modern living are available but it will be rarely.

May we all have happines and the sources of happiness.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2007
    You too, Brother Pilgrim...
    Unless of course you've already left, and are reading this on your return...
    in which case....
    hey! Welcome back!!

:D
  • edited August 2007
    Simon,

it looks beautiful! Enjoy your time away.

Kim
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2007
    Wow, those walls are really made of corn?! And watch out for the pirates down in Penzance. They're nasty!

I'm also contemplating a little excursion to visit the ancients over Labor Day. I'm planning on going over to New Mexico (the next state over) to visit Chaco Canyon National Historical Park. It was a major hub of Anasazi culture from about 850-1250 c.e. It features a huge pueblo (Pueblo Bonito) that has over 400 rooms and many huge kivas (round ceremonial rooms) that also is oriented perfectly to the equinoxes. They also have a rock called the Sun Dagger that is set up to mark both solstices and equinoxes with great precision. It was the center of a culture that spread over the Four Corners region and also had well-developed trade with the great Mexican and Central American civilizations. It's also way out in the boonies reachable only by a 20 mile dirt road from the nearest highway. In other words, way off the grid. Oh, it's also a World Heritage Site. Should be my cup of tea...

You guys on the other side of the pond aren't the only ones with a little history, ya know!

Palzang
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2007
    I hope you had a good trip, Palzang. I should love to visit some of those sites but, like Philip Larkin, I should like to be home in time for tea these days!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2007
    Actually I didn't go, Simon. It has been very hot here, unusually so, and Chaco has no shade. So I decided to wait until it cooled off. I am, however, reading an excellent book on the Chaco Culture, House of Rain, by Craig Childs. Really fascinating culture.

How was your vacation?

Palzang
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited September 2007
    Sorry, good Pilgrim, I missed this earlier. Been wondering where you were and missing your voice.

Tell us all about your sojourney there, please.

Missed ya.

One thing, though, isn't it good to get back to a right-side-up world?
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2007
    Nirvana wrote: »
    Sorry, good Pilgrim, I missed this earlier. Been wondering where you were and missing your voice.

Tell us all about your sojourney there, please.

Missed ya.

One thing, though, isn't it good to get back to a right-side-up world?

Two weeks away from 'phones and the internet. Gentle re-reading of "The Glass Bead Game" and Katherine Mansfield's short stories. Cream teas. The Minack theatre. Protohistorical sites. Choughs returning to their native cliffs. Cornish "hedges" (thick granite walls covered with vegetation). Good beer and chat plus serendipitous music-making at the local pub.

My idea of heaven.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2007
    Sounds nice, especially compared to baking out in the hot New Mexico sun with the rattlesnakes and scorpions for company! That's why I decided to wait until the weather was more amicable - though the local critters may not be!

Palzang