Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

So how are things in China?

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
edited November 2007 in Buddhism Today
DUPLICATE POST FROM NEW MEMBERS' THREAD:

The Chinese numerological horoscope is difficult to calculate, and has been simplified through numerous calculations, making it necessary (at one time) to add up and eventually reduce the two final numbers of your year-date-of-birth to a single figure, and deducting it from the Master Number 10.
Since the change of the millenium, to 2000-whatever, this has meant changing this 'Master' number to 11. It's the first time in over a 1000 years that this has been necessary... The Chinese perceived this necessity as heralding a significant change in their fortunes, and heralding a greater prominence in World Politics, raising their porofile.
They have been proved correct, but not always, I'm sure in the way they would have wished. It has not so far, always been Good Press, here....

The Mattel toys being withdrawn from sale due to manufacturing flaws and illegal paint products being used...the closure of the factories in China with great loss of Jobs and the suicide of the Director.
The Founder/owner of the chain of TopShops (selling the Kate Moss line of clothing) having to admit that the clothes are made in oriental China-run sweatshops using slave labour.
The collapse of a bridge and the refusal of the authorities to have it reported because of shoddy workmanship and construction - allegedly...
The story - ongoing and increasing - of the Chinese olympics, and the problems concerning high pollution... And of course, Tibet....

Are you able to provide an insight into what is happening within China with regard to the above?

Comments

• edited August 2007
    It’s impossible to answer that question, at least not directly. I can make suggestions. That’s all.

When I first arrived in the PRC, I was fortunate to meet an ex-pat who had lived here for fourteen years. “When you first get here,” he told me, “you don’t know what to think. After about six months, you want to write a book. After that, you don’t want to write anything.”

I really don’t want to write anything. I really don’t want to even attempt to answer this question. But …

One of the problems is that it’s virtually impossible to make a generalization about China that is both meaningful and valid. The sheer scale of China is off one’s standard mental map. The largest migration in all of human history is underway in China, as the peasants move from the land to the cities … and this is occurring with the full weight of the Chinese bureaucracy attempting to stop it. China has more honors students than America has students. China is a vast, bewildering array of multiplicity.

Another big problem is that Westerners are woefully ignorant of China. Consider what your image of the United States would be if it were confined to a few specific facts. The United States has the world’s most powerful military force, and is currently engaged in an “expansionist” war in Iraq. [I know that the word “expansionist” here is pejorative and unwarranted; nonetheless, many words used by Westerners to describe China are equally pejorative and unwarranted.] Suppose you knew that hundreds of Americans die every year from hand guns and that every few years someone goes crazy and kills a dozen or so fellow students, teachers, passers-by. Suppose you knew that most people in American prisons were black, and that there still are occasional race riots. Suppose you knew these few facts and that was all you knew about the United States … would you ask, How are things in America these days?

This problem becomes extended when one is exposed to information that relates to nothing except war, guns, and race. Over time, an image will form of a militaristic, oppressive society. How true is that image?

You get the idea of how difficult it is to communicate any kind of a basic understanding.

One thing I will guarantee: The average Chinese knows a lot more about the West than the average Westerner knows about China. In a global world, can this be healthy?

So right now, I don’t know if you’re serious about learning more about China or if you just want your own stereotypes reinforced.

This is an important dividing line, and people tend to fall on one side of it or the other. Some people have acquired comfortable images and reassuring stereotypes, and for them, the search for truth is over. For them, Ireneaus, an early Church Father, had this to say: “Don’t ask questions. Just believe.”

That’s the easy way.

As far as I can tell, no one ever said that enlightenment was easy.

On the other hand, if you are serious about expanding your knowledge about China you also have to be willing to do a little work. You have to examine your current level of knowledge and determine how much new knowledge you want to acquire and what amount of commitment you want to make to get that new knowledge. That’s work.

That’s the hard way.

You might have to read a book.

To get a feel for modern China, these are two of the best that I’ve found:

http://www.amazon.com/Chinas-New-Nationalism-Diplomacy-Lilienthal/dp/0520244826/

http://www.amazon.com/China-since-Tiananmen-Joseph-Fewsmith/dp/0521001056/

If you are interested in Tibet, these are good introductions:

http://www.amazon.com/Tibet-Patrick-French/dp/1400034175/

http://www.amazon.com/Snow-Lion-Dragon-China-Tibet/dp/0520219511/

I thought this little u-tube thing was kind of good, too:

http://www.glumbert.com/media/shift

It has been well said that reflection without study is a danger. In other words, I don’t care how logical your thinking is, if you start out with garbage facts, you will end up with gibberish conclusions.

But, of course, there’s no need to ask questions. It’s far easier to just believe.

Good luck.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2007
    Brilliant, brilliant reply, and I thank you for the obvious considertion and care you took in compiling it.
    My information on China is scant and as you rightly say, biased.
    but I do not wish it to be that way.
    the old adage "To know a man, walk a mile in his shoes" is most appropriate.

I am genuinely keen and interested to know more of China, but the facts I highlighted in my questions are all we seem to see here, and they paint a prejudiced, one-sided image of china I am certain is both shallow and completely inaccurate. Hence my curiosity to know something more, from someone who lives at the roots.
    In my defence, I can only say that it seems that those in authority in China have sought to remain aloof and retained some secrecy about themselves, refuting outside efforts to open channels of communication.
    But you see....even here, I am probably grossly mistaken.

Thank you also for the links and references. I will be sure to study them, and to deepen my own basic understanding.
  • edited August 2007
    federica, thank you so much for your kind reply. I was afraid that I would be getting into a major fight with an obviously well-respected, long-term member of the forum on my first day of posting. I'm glad that didn't happen.

I thought of a few internet articles that are worth reading. They're all from Asia Times, a source that I read regularly. But, I'm a bookworm, and I do prefer books ........

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/others/sinoroving.html

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/others/revolution.html

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/others/rooftop-world.html

If I can be helpful with anything, please let me know.

Good luck.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2007
    Ditto to Fede's response. Your post, Ragyaba, was absolutely wonderful. I loved it. It made me think of myself and my own capricious opinions of China and now I, like Fede, wish to research that massive country with a more open and fair mind. Your post totally inspired me, Ragyaba. Thank you so much.

I'm going to spend my afternoon reading those Asia Times articles and looking for some more unbiased info online. I'm a bookworm too, however and would prefer that method of study but I want to get started now (I lack patience but I'm working on it) and it will take awhile for the books to arrive. So if you know of any other fair online resources I'd be delighted to know about them.

This is exactly the reason why I love the internet so much. Having the privilege of meeting people from all around the world and having my eyes opened to different perspectives is an absolute joy to me. So thank you again, so much, Ragyaba.

P.S. Isn't Fede the coolest? What a great asset to this site she is.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2007
    Oh hush you, Boo!! :o
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2007
    Oh, and humble, too. :p

You're all that and much more, my dear friend! :bowdown: :grin:
    edited August 2007
    All gifts offered in Love and warmth should be received with humble gratitude, but if returned, with the same heartferlt Love and warmth, to the giver, will multiply to increase your joys a hundredfold.

And so I thank you, with heartfelt Love and warmth and gratitude, and ask that you partake of my heartgiven feast, that we may both profit, share and enjoy a hundredfold.

Fede XX :bigclap::wavey: _/l\_
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2007
    Hello Ragyaba,

Good to meet you. May I second (or third, or fourth, Fede and Boo) you comments. I would add that any study of China must also start with a little humility and an abandonment of Western patronising superiority. China's history is longer and more glorious that any of us can boast for our own culture. It is my impression that the Chinese people are well aware of this and find the Euro-American swagger juvenile and annoying.

I cringe when I hear our politicians preaching at the Chinese about "human rights violations" when we addicted China to opium for our own profit and waged war against her, once again for profit.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2007
    Actually, when you look at it, the West in general and the US in particular are at least responsible for most of the problems in the world right now. We armed Iraq, we armed Iran, we armed Osama and the Taliban, so what do we expect now? "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" mentality is coming back to haunt us.

Palzang
  • edited September 2007
    I can't stand hearing politicians in America (at least the uber-conservative brand) that complain about human rights violations in China and yet, at the same time, tell us why we need to be able to torture individuals for the sake of freedom and democracy. John McCain, a victim of torture himself no less, at least has the sense to see this much.

What I mean, is that you can't ignore the elephant in the room.
  • edited November 2007
    *Nodding in agreement.*

I always keep thinking that it's really not *so* different here in America than it is everywhere else in the world. We are all human, after all.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2007

What I mean, is that you can't ignore the elephant in the room.

There is an old Sufi saying that is applicable:

"When you make friends with an elephant-keeper, make sure that you have room for the elephant."