Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why meditate?

PalzangPalzang Veteran
edited November 2007 in Buddhism Basics
GO FOR SANITY

In the practice of meditation, we are trying to plant a seed of mindfulness-awareness; we are trying to plant a seed of less habitual, less animal-like instinct. Rats always go for cheese, and rabbits always go for carrots, but we could do better than that. As human beings, we could always go for sanity. We don't always have to think immediately, for our own sake, of our own comfort alone. But right from the moment when cognitive mind begins to function, we could think in terms of something more than self-interest.

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche

Comments

• edited September 2007
    I've found that after I meditate, things seem more relaxed and I'm able to look at situations with a new eye.
  • edited September 2007
    It calms me, exposes my mind works to analysis and improvement. It has also made it easier to stop smoking and lowered my blood pressure (before I quit smoking). I also need much less sleep and never ever feel tired these days.............

2 thumbs up I say!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2007
    When I was first learning how to meditate at a small Zen group in Chicago way back in the Stone Age, the thing I thought was remarkable was that after a meditation session when I was driving back down Lake Shore Drive to Hyde Park I was aware of seeing with my whole eye, not just the narrow focal point. In other words, I felt more completely alive.

Palzang
  • edited September 2007
    Forgive the crosspost.

In reference to another thread ('why meditate'), thought I would offer this up from Jack Kornfields "A Path With Heart". I personally think that the words apply to anyone who persists in learning an art over time, regardless whether they actually sit.

"Spiritual tranformation is a profound process that doesn't happen by accident. We need a repeated discipline, a genuine training, in order to let go of our old habits of mind and to find and sustain a new way of seeing. To mature on the spiritual path we need to commit ourselves in a systematic way. My teacher Achaan Chah described this commitment as 'taking the one seat." He said, "Just go into the room and put one chair in the center. Take the one seat in the center of the room, open the doors and windows, and see who comes to visit. You will witness all kinds of scenes and actors, all kinds of temptations and stories, everything imaginable. Your only job is to stay in your seat. You will see it all arise and pass, and out of this, wisdom and understanding will come."
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2007
    Yes, and it's also important to remember that it's a gradual path. You may not notice any perceptible change, but that doesn't necessarily mean nothing's happening.

Palzang
  • edited September 2007
    Isn't 'gradual' more of a caveat, a matter of perception?
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2007
    harlan,
    anupubbi-katha— 'gradual instruction', progressive sermon; given by the Buddha when it was necessary to prepare first the listener's mind before speaking to him on the advanced teaching of the Four Noble Truths. The stock passage (e.g. D. 3; D 14; M. 56) runs as follows:

"Then the Blessed One gave him a gradual instruction - that is to say, he spoke on liberality ('giving', dana), on moral conduct (sila) and on the heaven (sagga); he explained the peril, the vanity and the depravity of sensual pleasures, and the advantage of renunciation. When the Blessed One perceived that the listener's mind was prepared, pliant, free from obstacles, elevated and lucid; then he explained to him that exalted teaching particular to the Buddhas (buddhanam samukkamsika desana), that is: suffering, its cause, its ceasing, and the path."
    "Monks, I do not say that the attainment of gnosis is all at once. Rather, the attainment of gnosis is after gradual training, gradual action, gradual practice. And how is there the attainment of gnosis after gradual training, gradual action, gradual practice? There is the case where, when conviction has arisen, one visits [a teacher]. Having visited, one grows close. Having grown close, one lends ear. Having lent ear, one hears the Dhamma. Having heard the Dhamma, one remembers it. Remembering, one penetrates the meaning of the teachings. Penetrating the meaning, one comes to an agreement through pondering the teachings. There being an agreement through pondering the teachings, desire arises. When desire has arisen, one is willing. When one is willing, one contemplates. Having contemplated, one makes an exertion. Having made an exertion, one realizes with the body the ultimate truth and, having penetrated it with discernment, sees it. (MN 70)
    Just as the ocean has a gradual shelf, a gradual slope, a gradual inclination, with a sudden drop-off only after a long stretch, in the same way this Doctrine and Discipline has a gradual training, a gradual performance, a gradual progression, with a penetration to gnosis only after a long stretch. The fact that this Doctrine and Discipline has a gradual training, a gradual performance, a gradual progression, with a penetration to gnosis not just after a stretch: This is the first amazing and astounding fact about this Doctrine and Discipline that, as they see it again and again, has the monks greatly pleased with the Doctrine and Discipline. (Ud 5.5)

Jason
  • edited November 2007
    I've found that after I meditate, things seem more relaxed and I'm able to look at situations with a new eye.
    yes i think that is what meditation is all about relaxing and seeing new things
  • edited November 2007
    I meditate just to get my mind off of the day's work. It keeps me focused and I sleep better at night as a result.
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited November 2007
    I chop wood and carry water softener salt...

:::

at some point you stop needing a reason to meditate - you just want to.

::