Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Reflections on teaching Yoga and Buddhism in Cambodia ?Working with prisoners

JohnC.KimbroughJohnC.Kimbrough Explorer
edited September 2007 in Arts & Writings
Reflections on teaching Yoga and Buddhism in Cambodia ?Working with prisoners

Gaining the trust and respect of other people is something that all of us have to do at one time or another in our life. Hopefully we can do it in a sincere and unstressful manner and environment. The reality seems to be that many of us do not always care what other people think and feel, or are more apt to condemn or criticize them then look at them as being the same as us or reaching out to them.

When there is a cross ?cultural aspect to this, things can be more complex.

In working with prisoners, as with anyone in any situation, patience is required. For some this patience come naturally and is not a problem, while for others it can involve resentment and anger to implement. Certainly the person who is engaged in the former will be less effective in achieving his or her objectives.

In working with prisoners, as with anyone in any situation, compassion is also required. Too many times our attitude to prisoners can be that they did something that requires them to be in prison and that whatever punishment they have received is one that they deserve.

Of course, if we look closely at the history of the law and the legal system, we find that more then once the wrong man has been incarcerated or even executed or given an excessive sentence for a crime.

In developing countries, the circumstances that get a man in prison can be more complex, with many times him or her being nothing more then an individual who had to fight against a person or system that was trying to exploit them unfairly.

Regardless of the country, social environment or status of development in a country, in working with prisoners we are dealing with people, people who can change, people who can admit to their mistakes, people who regret, suffer for and come to realize that they have not lived their life in the best, wisest or healthiest way.

This writer has, as we all have or will, experienced an evolution in his life in many ways. One among many evolutions, was coming from being a prisoner for a short period of time in a state penitentiary in the United States to working with prisoners in a provincial prison in Cambodia. One of the things that I learned and saw from my own prison experience was that men in prison have that mixture of states of mind and behavior that we all have. They can be sincere and helpful or fearful and angry.

The Buddhist teachings are very clear about how we can be as human beings. We can either be unwise, unhealthy and unwholesome or the opposite, that being wise, healthy and wholesome.

We can for the most part gain the respect of any man in any situation if they know that we are sincere. For the men that this writer works with in a provincial prison in Cambodia, part of that respect was brought about when they learned that I do this work for free, and that I do not receive any kind of salary or benefits in doing it or that I do not work for any kind of organization.

For my part, I have begun to see most of the prisoners there as friends and as being children to me. This is partly because of my age (I am 55) and also because of what Buddhism teaches us and the evolution that it brings about in us through its practice.

The understanding and application of loving kindness and compassion are two of the major practices of Buddhism, and when we habitually and naturally see others in this light, we will act towards them in a manner which fosters understanding and a respectful connection.

In fact, this writer has learned that humility and sincerity in any action is something that is appreciated by others and that kindness will eventually be appreciated.

We seem to live in an at times unkind world, and we are not always mindful about how our own attitudes and actions may be adding to this state.

We are taught by various forces to pursue this and that, or that happiness, peace and contentment come through various things, without having the mindfulness to see that a joyful and productive life is one that stems from mindfulness, discipline and balance.

Achieving such things in life is what the teachings and disciplines of Yoga and Buddhism have as their objective and nothing else. We do not have to look upon them with a distrustful or wary eye.

If we can teach them to prisoners in any country of the world in a clear and committed manner, we will help men and women experience a change in their life that will make them more focused and balanced, so that they have a greater ability to find their way in life.