Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Attachment

edited September 2007 in Buddhism Basics
how does one achieve non attachment? isnt it human nature to become attached to the things of this world?

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2007
    how does one achieve non attachment? isnt it human nature to become attached to the things of this world?

The problem with this statement, NirvanaNoob, is the notion of "human nature". The expression is used as if it explains and excuses any human action, It is "human nature" to eat and drink to excess if sustenance is available, to copulate to excess if partners are available, et., etc. The whole point about the Buddha's teaching is that it calls to a different aspect of "human nature": the ability to go beyond itself and choose that which, going against "nature" , takes us on the road to awakening and liberation from precisely that "human nature" that keeps us chained in the round of craving and aversion from which our suffering arises.
  • edited September 2007
    i see i think i understand the concept a bit better now. thanks for answering my question
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited September 2007
    I think that if we are to talk Human Nature, we should differentiate between base human nature and higher human nature. Base human nature is where we find attachment, lust, and gluttony. Higher human nature is where we find harmony, fulfillment, and enlightenment.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2007
    NirvanaNoob,
    how does one achieve non attachment?

One achieves this through training (MN 143).

Jason
  • edited September 2007
    Howdy Noob....
    "human" nature is another method we use to justify the schism we create for ourseves by adopting the dualistic view of self and other....there's just pretty much what is.....we set up the differences and preferences based on gratifying appetites....and by God we'll cling tenaciously to every solitary SPECK of that there dualism...
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited September 2007
    The nature of the human makes him exceptionally vulnerable from his birth to fall to the ills of obsessive indulgence and attachment, but even with this sad, "bad" nature, so as to speak, an opposing "good" buddhanature always exist within us, so that we may overcome our default mentality.

Having said that, I do not think there will be much change in our livelihoods as a direct result of this "attachment" to "non-attachment", perhaps it will be our attitudes, and also with it some slackening on our strings of attachment to cause a consequent change in certain habits, but we are not heading for "detachment" - so we won't be likely to face massive changes in our lifestyle physically, but the greatest transformation should come from the spiritual, mental and that within.

The Romantics speak of an innately-good human nature, such as with that we may trust our instinct, and feelings - I think they refer to our buddhanature, rather than the "default state" we should rely on. With a light view to life and a light hold on things, our indulgence will be best-enjoyed non-attached, rather than consumed in mad desire. :)

I don't really see these as some yin-and-yang thing, "good" or "evil" stuff myself, but I guess it won't really be too wrong to refer to this as such. To me they seem more like well, the gem left to be polished or something like that (did someone use this before me? Sounds STRANGELY FAMILIAR.... :p)

:rockon:
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited September 2007
    LET GO!