Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Should I not feel happy or sad, be timid or outgoing, positive or negative??

edited September 2007 in Buddhism Basics
Hi,

I'm a little confused about reaching an inner equilibrium and karmic balance and such. Is our goal to become completely emotionless? Is this how we reach inner peace?

Should we neither build or destroy, aid or sabotage?

I know the answers are within me but I would like to hear your perspective .

Thanks

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2007
    Welcome here, Carlito. Good to met you.

The answer to your question is in the suttas and Elohim has answered it in answering NorvanaNoob: training is the way and the goal:
    MN14
  • edited September 2007
    Thanks for your answer and the kind welcome. I beleive I asked the wrong question since I remain a little confused about balance/equlibrium. Say that I do a good deed like helping someone who is truly in need. Do I than generate positive Karma ? Is our goal to have a neutral Karma neither good or bad?
    Does it matter whether the decison to help someone came from an emotional/intellectual/instictive mindset or from my consiousness?

Is wanting to help a human quality?
    If I want to do good without recieving anything in return is it not a greater part of my being that chooses to do this?
    Do we not generate negative energy/karma if we come about situations where we are capable of helping others but we neglect to do so?
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited September 2007
    Hi Carlito,

You pose some very good questions.

What if you see someone needing help and you refuse to help them. What does your gut tell you? Most of the time I bet there is a twinge - and why is that? Could be that our inaction is creating negative karma. It's tough to say. Although, you will probably find that the more you follow the teachings of the Buddha - the apt you will become at wanting to show more compassion to everything around you.

There are lots of great discussions about karma on this site if you want to do a search on them. Karma can cover a lot of area - especially depending on the flavor of Buddhism that you follow.

But, generally speaking, getting rid of negative karma and creating positive karma is not going to hurt you in the least. Some thoughts are that by getting rid of negative karma and creating positive karma - you move yourself closer towards enlightenment.
    But, some flavors of Buddhism also teach that you are not only responsible for your own karma in this life, but your negative karma in previous lives and, even in some case, responsible for the karma of your parents!

You should dig around here in the threads and see what you come up with - although I'm sure others will pop on here to provide more information.

Nice to meet you.

-bf
  • edited September 2007
    Thanks Buddhafoot!

Truth is I have little knowledge about the beliefs on Karma. Luckily, there is plenty of info on this site as you mentioned.

All the best!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2007
    Hola Carlito, and welcome to you, from me too... :)

At the risk of perhaps splitting hairs, or confusing the issue further, the term "belief" is a bit of a red herring insofar as Buddhist doctrine is concerned....
    The buddha himself, in the KalamaSutra, encouraged all listeners, followers or students of any philosophy or creed, to thoroughly examine the information given from all sides. Thoroughly, completely minutely and to the utmost of their ability. Then, and only then would they have one of three options:

The first, to completely accept this "Truth" as something they would live by and accept.
    The second, to lay it aside and to reject it as their own, all the while respecting the right of others to pursue it as they feel appropriate and
    The third, to simply lay it aside, and try not to waste time pondering it, if a conclusion cannot be arrived at....

The Buddha further gave four such issues as "Imponderable" by the unenlightened mind.
    This was not to denounce all unenlightened minds as simple, stupid, dull or incapable. It was merely to point out that some things just lead to constant thinking and re-thinking with no clear answer, and could drive you nutz!!

"In Buddhism there are four imponderables," adds Walsh. "these are four things that you can’t fathom, and they are: 1)origination, or how the universe began; 2) causation or karma, how things are caused; 3) the scope of the mind of the Buddha; and finally, 4) the power of the fully concentrated mind. Apparently, a fully concentrated mind has awesome power at its disposal."

from here although I' know there is much reference available to these elsewhere.

To conclude then, for the most part, in Buddhism, it's not "come and believe", but "come and see for yourself" - or as my signature has it: Ehi passiko!.

Hope this helps! :)
  • edited September 2007
    Hola Federica,

Thanks for the added info. I love the quotes in your sig.

Take care!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2007
    Hola, Carlito! Welcome! Lovely to meet you.
  • edited September 2007
    Hola Brigid, como te va?

Where abouts in Canada are ya? I'm living in Toronto at the moment. Pleasure meeting you!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited September 2007
    I'm pretty good today, Carlito, although concerned about Burma at the moment. But that's a different thread...

I'm about as far east in Ontario as you can get, just on the border with Quebec, in a lovely farming community, although I was actually born and raised in Montreal. It's great to meet another Canadian (or at least someone living in Canada, in case you're not actually Canadian...), and living in Ontario, too! It sure is a small world, although I wouldn't want to paint it. :D

Kick off your shoes and make yourself at home. There is a massive wealth of Buddhist resources here if you just feel like reading. If you feel like talking or asking questions please feel completely free. You'll probably get a whole bunch of different answers but variety is the spice of life, right? ;) We're a pretty friendly bunch here so relax and welcome to the party!
  • edited September 2007
    one of the greatest instructions ever offered by the buddha...."Ehi passiko!"..........."Come and see".....come and see how it all fits together....not "listen to me".........but..."Come and See!" Becoming emotionless isn't the goal or aim.....becoming liberated from the dependencies you gain with emotions is part of it.....feel it all....feel everything.......just don't hang on when you're all done with it....If your arms are full you can't pick up anything new....