Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Burmese Watch

2»

Comments

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2008
    As you all know, the military regime is making a catastrophic situation worse in every way imaginable. They will not allow aid workers to enter the country and want to distribute the food and medicine etc. themselves. I guess they just want the world to leave the cash at the border crossing and they'll pick it up when they need new uniforms. I'm so sick of this.

Anyway, if anyone has the means to help you can go to Avaaz.org. They are working directly with the monks in Burma who are doing the only real aid work in the country at the moment.

My heart goes out to all those who are suffering so terribly in that beleaguered country.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2008
    Yes, it's truly a disgusting scenario. I agree with going to Avaaz. At least there's some hope of the money getting to people who actually need it rather than lining the deep pockets of the parasites who are running the country.

Palzang
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2008
    This whole thing has sickened me, from the inaction of the Burmese governemt to accept help and emergency aid to our president doing his best to politicise the situation. I have heard all the arguments on both sides of the issue but, to tell the truth, all I really give a shit about is the fact that people are dying and other people are either letting it happen or using it as a spring board to promote their own political agendas. I sincerely hope that the Burmese people are eventually allowed (or forced) to get the help they so desperately need.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2008
    Here's some pretty good news from Avaaz:

2 million dollars raised so far by Avaaz supporters...
  • edited May 2008
    I'm relieved to see some of you still referring to the country by its right name, which is Burma. Just because a bunch of thugs want to change the name of the country doesn't mean I have to follow suit.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited May 2008
    I'm relieved to see some of you still referring to the country by its right name, which is Burma. Just because a bunch of thugs want to change the name of the country doesn't mean I have to follow suit.

Turtle Island anyone?
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2008
    Here's an article from the New York Times about the aid being provided by Burmese monks. I love to see Buddhist monastics so socially engaged.

Monks Succeed in Cyclone Relief as Junta Falters