Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Anyone here Pagan?

edited February 2008 in Faith & Religion
Just curious how it fits with Buddhism. A friend of mine is a Pagan and she has been teaching me about it and I find it fascinating.

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2007
    YogaMama wrote: »
    Just curious how it fits with Buddhism. A friend of mine is a Pagan and she has been teaching me about it and I find it fascinating.

Without wishing to be flippant, it really does depend on what you mean by "pagan". There are dozens, if not hundreds, of "paganisms". Not surprising really: paganism is the religion of the woods and fields. The word has the same root as "peasant". Some pagan beliefs concern the sun, moon and stars. They are the beliefs arising from a pre-urban society, by and large. And the pre-urban environment varies from place to place, so the beliefs do too.

Buddhism seems to have a congenial relationship with paganism, particularly shamanistic paganism. I recall that when some lamas visited Aotearoa (New Zealand) to collect a tylku who had been born there they made offerings and prayers to the local Maori deities.
  • edited November 2007
    Unfortunately I don't know enough about paganism to know which type my friend refers to when she talks to me about it. I will have to ask her first. I do know that her beliefs invole the sun, moon and stars along with all of the seasons. We were at her house for a Samhain celebration on Halloween and it was great.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2007
    I've often thought that the Christian Christmas story about a man and a woman with newborn child out in a stable with a lot of shepherds and animals had its Pagan elements, too.

That depiction above the altars in churches very often stands in stark contrast to the other artwork and representations in the church.

I wish someone would enlighten us on Buddhist, Zorastrian, and other traditions.
  • edited December 2007
    My brother's a pagan, eclectic of somesort.

The medidation seems very different, they use alot of visualisation but i'm not sure to what end. I'll ask too.
  • edited December 2007
    In this Yuletide may we pay homage to he who hung from the tree, an offering - himself to himself. He forfeit the sight of one eye in order to 'see'. 24 the number of runes he brought back (screaming) to the world of men. 24 the places where the slain consort of Shiva fell. 24 the circle of a day. 24 the circle of a year in her waxing and waning - inseparable from the very time/space elements of our being.

At this solstice time may fire be born of ice, light from the darkness and gnosis from bondage.

Peace
    Kris
  • edited December 2007
    I kinda think of pagans as the first step. Staying pagan, not moving on, to me is a form of 'arrested development'. My personal search away from the dominant Christian paradigm that I was reared in, started with exploring the Wiccan ideas, and Native American shamanism and tribal ways back in the '70's. But really, in American at least, these were not long-lived traditions, and lacked solid teachers. I found that the goals were simply too temporal, the practices had only a shallow understanding of the human condition. For me, it wasn't enough. Partly due to the sketchy characters of those involved, and the low/base expectations...not knowing that deep inside I was searching for a 'teacher'. And partly due to the lack of solid 'ways' to develop once one had insights. A very dangerous situation to be in for those exploring the mind.

Buddhism, with it's deep roots, is unquestionably a superior vehicle.
  • edited February 2008
    Nirvana wrote: »
    I've often thought that the Christian Christmas story about a man and a woman with newborn child out in a stable with a lot of shepherds and animals had its Pagan elements, too.

That depiction above the altars in churches very often stands in stark contrast to the other artwork and representations in the church.

I wish someone would enlighten us on Buddhist, Zorastrian, and other traditions.

Got it in one Nirvana - the reason that christmas is celebrated so near Yule, the Solstice is because the incoming christian religion replaced the old pagan celebration where the metaphor of the goddess giving birth to her son was used to represent the sun coming back and the days getting longer.

So, spot on, a lot of the traditions, such as bringing in the evergreens, kissing under the mistletoe, holly, decorating a tree and a mother and child image date back to that period. A lot of christian festivals had their dates moved about to accommodate old feasts - we still have the summer solstice bonfires here in France but they are called the Fires of St John and a very masculine event it is - the closeness of the sun and the gathering of the harvest being connected with the corn lord.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2008
    How's about this for a turn-up? :rockon:

"Feb. 11, 2008 -- Historical records tell of a mystical, priestly and learned class of elite individuals called Druids among Celtic societies in Britain, but there has been no archaeological evidence of their existence. Until, perhaps, now.

A series of graves found in a gravel quarry at Stanway near Colchester, Essex, have been dated to 40-60 A.D. At least one of the burials, it appears, may have been that of a Druid, according to a report published in British Archaeology. "
    edited February 2008
    federica wrote: »
    How's about this for a turn-up? :rockon:

"Feb. 11, 2008 -- Historical records tell of a mystical, priestly and learned class of elite individuals called Druids among Celtic societies in Britain, but there has been no archaeological evidence of their existence. Until, perhaps, now.

A series of graves found in a gravel quarry at Stanway near Colchester, Essex, have been dated to 40-60 A.D. At least one of the burials, it appears, may have been that of a Druid, according to a report published in British Archaeology. "

It would be fun to put the debate to bed at last but a truth remains that an elite caste of "individuals called Druids" exists in at least one Celtic society today - even if it may be much younger than claimed (like the Masons or, perhaps, the Mormons) - and we have an Archbishop who is one of them!
  • edited February 2008
    It would be even more fun if today's druids could agree on something instead of permanently being at war, one sect with the other and banging their sickles on the table!
    edited February 2008
    Knitwitch wrote: »
    It would be even more fun if today's druids could agree on something instead of permanently being at war, one sect with the other and banging their sickles on the table!

You want Celts to agree with each other? The victory of optimism over experience, I fear.
  • edited February 2008
    No, Simon, not Celts, the BT engineers and retired accountants that constitute the druids of today in their various groups.
    But maybe they are honouring a very old tradition ..............
    edited February 2008
    Knitwitch wrote: »
    No, Simon, not Celts, the BT engineers and retired accountants that constitute the druids of today in their various groups.
    But maybe they are honouring a very old tradition ..............

Ah! You mean my neighbours at Glastonbury whereas I was thinking of my Welsh and Cornish friends and fellow 'druids'.
  • edited February 2008
    Well, being a horrible mix of Scottish / Irish and raised in Cornwall I am throwing stones where I shouldn't ........ but yes, it was the Glastonbury mobs I was meaning in the first post.

And if my own family is anything to go by - you are right, getting more than two Celts to agree on anything other than "let's go pub" would be a minor miracle.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2008
    Lol!!!