Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mind and Universe.

edited December 2007 in Faith & Religion
Do the tools we use to solve a problem shape or limit the solution of that problem ?

If a carpenter is given a table saw and instructed to solve a wood working problem .. like build an entertainment center .. if his only primary tool is a table saw then will not the entertainment center he builds have a solution limited by and charecterized by the table saw.

Example .. we would not expect to see sweeping curved cuts in our entertainment center .... ect..

If we ponder the universe and seek to know what it is ...will not the solution be limited by characterized by the tool we use to understand it also .. that is the mind ? At some point can we say the ultimate solution to the universe is the MIND.

So we seek answers outward but are lead back to ourselves ?

What are your thoughts ??

Cheers ...

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2007
    Mind is not the solution to the universe. The universe is the mind.

Palzang
  • edited November 2007
    Palzang wrote: »
    Mind is not the solution to the universe. The universe is the mind.

Palzang

Solution....solution....but solution to what? A solution supposes a problem. What exactly is being solved?
  • edited November 2007
    Right on Knight.

There had to be some point in time when a man or woman looked up for the fist time and asked ..

What is that up their ?? :wow:

Before that we just saw what was up their ... no questions asked.

So that's the problem .. not some convoluted scientific sounding thesis a graduate student could only conjure up but a simple question that a child may ask .. What is that up their ? :wow:

The universe is mind ... yes I appreciate that ... but I am suggesting maybe another route to that conclusion. A modern day journey.

Cheers gents ...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2007
    Shoot..... I hate myself when I do this.... - It's 'There'....not 'Their'.....
    Like Where...There....(they rhyme, so it helps to distinguish them.)

That's one solution.
    But it's not the one you might be wanting.

I still boggle what little mind I have, in understanding that whatever it is when I look up, it's limitless. In every and any direction.

Shaddup Alex.

Sorry.
  • edited November 2007
    federica wrote: »
    Shoot..... I hate myself when I do this.... - It's 'There'....not 'Their'.....

That is one of the great dilemas in life .. by the time we get the universe and mind figured out we are so run down we forget how to spell.

Cheers ...
  • edited November 2007
    LOL @ OTS :p
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2007
    That is one of the great dilemas in life .. by the time we get the universe and mind figured out we are so run down we forget how to spell.

Cheers ...
    Oh, I noe, tel mie abhout itte....

Sorry OST...
    It's the proof reader in me.

Thank you for not being off-ended!
  • edited November 2007
    If we ponder the universe and seek to know what it is ...will not the solution be limited by characterized by the tool we use to understand it also .. that is the mind ? At some point can we say the ultimate solution to the universe is the MIND.

So we seek answers outward but are lead back to ourselves ?

What are your thoughts ??

Cheers ...

Reality is created by your five senses, and your imagination. It took an extremely long time for any living thing on Earth to get to the point where they could even contemplate the Universe. Imagine "reality" in thirty or forty thousand years. Reality has always been the same, it is the audience that changes.

I was once told that somebody explaining the Universe to us would be like a man trying to explain to an Insect how the supermarket works.
    edited November 2007
    And what has created your five senses?
  • edited November 2007
    I was once told that somebody explaining the Universe to us would be like a man trying to explain to an Insect how the supermarket works.

I would think some insects insect knows the supermarket quite well. :) Are you saying the insect does not know it's universe ?? Could their not be an "insect" and a "shopper" universe in the supermarket at the same time ??
    Reality has always been the same, it is the audience that changes.

All animals do not have the quite same senses ..... a shark can sense electrical impules .. a cat has two eyes but does not have human like vision. A spider eight eyes. They have different senses and brains to understand these senses .. they must then have different universes and hence different realities.

I can entertain the idea of a single universe and many different realities .. a "shark".. "cat" .. "human".. "sea slug" reality. I do not see a single reality.

Although .. I tend to see each reality as a universe.

Confusing ehh ??

Cheers ...
  • edited November 2007
    And what has created your five senses?

Evolution. Adaptation.
  • edited November 2007

I can entertain the idea of a single universe and many different realities .. a "shark".. "cat" .. "human".. "sea slug" reality. I do not see a single reality.

Although .. I tend to see each reality as a universe.

Confusing ehh ??

Cheers ...

I see it more as one reality and one Universe, just different ways of interpreting it.
  • edited November 2007
    I would think some insects insect knows the supermarket quite well. :) Are you saying the insect does not know it's universe ?? Could their not be an "insect" and a "shopper" universe in the supermarket at the same time ??

I would think that not a single insect understands how the Human supermarket system works. An insect does not know "its universe". We all share the same Universe. There is only ONE universe. Most insects care only about eating and re-populating. They do not sit around contemplating where it all came from or what is beyond our planet, much less our solar system.
    Obviously an insect can enter a supermarket and live there, but they don't understand the human processes going on. That was my point. A human being cannot explain to a fly how the processes in a supermarket work(i.e money transactions, order of products,etc).
    An ant does not understand how to earn money and then go to the supermarket to purchase food. This is a human act, not an insect's. An insect does not have the same intellectual capacity as a human being.
  • edited November 2007
    Evolution. Adaptation.

I am not saying you are wrong redpill .. by no means ... I am only trying to point out that you are looking at the universe from the outside .. from an absolute perspective .. rather then a relative perspective. The absolute perspective is a perspective a creator would have ( like a god ?? ) versus the relative view of a participant.

Do we participate in the universe or are we as humans ordained to define it's very nature ?? Which view is more useful in our modern world ? Did we fire the creator but take his seat ?

It is not a reality for me to fly in the air .. it is common practice for a bird. A birds reality is not my reality ?? Seems very simple to me.

If the universe we lived in was the same for all life throughout natural history then there would not be a diversity of adaptations and we would not see so many different organisms living in the world. There would not be diversity in life there would be monoculture. No ?

A fly has a smaller set of neurons then humans ... but using all those neurons defines the flie and it's universe. The more neurons the more expansive and convoluted the universe. The flies universe is not the humans universe. The fly does not have to be the human the human does not have to be the fly.

In other words you redpill are sitting in the chair of the creator when you imply one universe .. one reality. As if the universe was designed just so humans can unravel it. The absolute view is a human centric view.

Try centering the world from where redpill is sitting ... and look at how grand the universe is. It is not a debate .. just an exercise.

Do you really undertsand deep down in your bones that the earth is no longer the center of the universe ? Ponder that ...

Cheers ..
  • edited November 2007
    I am not saying you are wrong redpill .. by no means ... I am only trying to point out that you are looking at the universe from the outside .. from an absolute perspective .. rather then a relative perspective. The absolute perspective is a perspective a creator would have ( like a god ?? ) versus the relative view of a participant.

I am looking at the Universe as a participant using the information we have so far.
    Do we participate in the universe or are we as humans ordained to define it's very nature ?? Which view is more useful in our modern world ? Did we fire the creator but take his seat ?
    We participate, and at the same time try to define what it is we are participating in.
    It is not a reality for me to fly in the air .. it is common practice for a bird. A birds reality is not my reality ?? Seems very simple to me.
    The bird breathes the same air as you, watches the same sunset, eats some of the same foods, etc. You are sharing the same reality with that bird. The same physics apply. The bird can fly and you can't. So what. You have opposable thumbs to pick up a cup and drink, the bird doesn't. That doesn't set you in a different reality.
    If the universe we lived in was the same for all life throughout natural history then there would not be a diversity of adaptations and we would not see so many different organisms living in the world. There would not be diversity in life there would be monoculture. No ?
    No. The Universe has always been the same and will always be the same. We have different organisms adapting to different area of our planet because they are in different living conditions. That does not create different realities, only different ways of adapting to the same reality, depending on what conditions one is living in. A fish, a bird, and a human all share the same reality, they just have different views of it. Gravity, evolution, the drive for food, sex, and shelter effects us all the same.
    A fly has a smaller set of neurons then humans ... but using all those neurons defines the flie and it's universe. The more neurons the more expansive and convoluted the universe. The flies universe is not the humans universe. The fly does not have to be the human the human does not have to be the fly.
    I think you may be confusing the word "Universe" with something else. There is only one Universe. All creatures, all planets, all solar systems, everything shares one Universe. You use the word interchangeably with Reality...there is a large difference.
    In other words you redpill are sitting in the chair of the creator when you imply one universe .. one reality. As if the universe was designed just so humans can unravel it. The absolute view is a human centric view.
    Because all creatures share the same universe and, to date, human beings are the only creature to show any sort of attempt at unraveling it's mysteries. Scientifically, humans are the smartest creatures on this planet, yes. To say that a fly is smarter in his "universe" is mere speculation and assumption.
    Try centering the world from where redpill is sitting ... and look at how grand the universe is. It is not a debate .. just an exercise.
    I assure you that I do it almost every day.
    Do you really undertsand deep down in your bones that the earth is no longer the center of the universe ? Ponder that ...
    Fully and completely. I am not religious. I do not believe that the Universe revolves around humans.

I will copy and paste a blog I wrote over a year ago in response to a Christian telling me that there was no meaning to life without God:

Go outside tonight. Look up into the sky.
    You see those bright white dots up there? Those are called stars.
    You know our sun? Our sun is a star.

Scientists estimate the number of stars in the Milky Way Galaxy(thats our galaxy) to be in the trillions! There are just as many galaxies in the universe as there are stars in our galaxy.

Now, each star(like our sun) has the potential of having a few, or many, planets orbiting around them.

Do you understand where I am going with this? There are trillions and trillions of planets in our galaxy alone. Multiply that number by trillions and trillions and you will MAYBE be close to the number of planets in the universe.

Our planet, alone, has been around for about 4.54 billion years.
    Do you honestly believe that if the belief in God were to disappear, there would be nothing to live for? I do not believe in God and I have everything to live for. Life, itself, has meaning to me.

Throw out the stories about Gods, Demons, and Angels and we are left with the most important part of the stories: Humans. There is absolutely no proof of Gods, Angels, or Demons. I can see my fellow human beings every single day of my life. I see them communicating, working together, helping eachother, and loving one another. Life can't get any more real than that.

If you don't think that life is worth living just to see what happens on this planet for one single day, then I really pity you. You can go on believing in magical sky-worlds with streets of gold and endless happiness, but I don't see the need.

Also, what is the point of happiness if you don't have the occasional sadness to compare it to? If life was continually care-free and full of joy...at what point would you stop noticing? Eventually life would stop being full of joy and just be life. Sadness is a part of life. It is a very strong emotion. Why would you want to be somewhere that you would never again experience it? You need sadness to really enjoy happiness. It is the extreme switch in emotions that make it so exciting.

Imagine this for a second: When you die, death fulfills it's definition and your life comes to an end. There is no "after-life".
    So what?! What is the problem with that? If you are dead, you won't care! You will be dead.

Live your life for your fellow humans, and for the other living things that you have the chance to experience while you are here. Stop obsessing over what will happen to you when you die. What good is it?

I assure you- not one single person on this planet knows what happens to us when we die. Not Christians. Not Muslims. Not Atheists. Nobody knows. People have theories, of course, but they are based on what has been told to them by people who have not experienced death. Nobody has died and come back to tell about what happens after death. Not one person. No matter what any Holy Book says.

Not one single person on this planet know for sure whether God exists or not. It is something that can neither be proven nor disproven. Yes, the universe could have been created by a single human-like being, but it also could have been created by an giant all-knowing brick...neither can be proven or disproven...That doesn't make either probable.

Is it impossible that the meaning of life, is life itself? Nothing more?

You are born, you experience life, and then you die. What more do you want? I know the belief that we will live forever is comforting for some...but it is not probable. Think for yourself. Give life your own meaning, and experience as much as you can.
    I assure you that I am well aware of how tiny we are in the Universe. We may be an insect to some other race out there. The thing is: We shouldn't be too humble to admit that we are at least more intelligent than most being on this tiny planet. Evolution blessed us with amazing brains and intellectual capacities. I will not pretend that a fly is your equal.
  • edited November 2007
    [/B]
    Gravity, evolution, the drive for food, sex, and shelter effects us all the same.

.. and yet a fly walks on my cieling and I walk on the floor But we both have the same reality ?????????? :eek2:
    [/B]
    I am looking at the Universe as a participant using the information we have so far.

The information we have so far tells us reality bends .. physics suggest the universe can only be undertsood in a relative sense. Time on a space ship traveling through space is not the same as time sitting hear on earth. Time slows as we move through space .. a space traveler ages slowly while on earth people would age much faster. The experience of time differs between space traveler and earthling. Crazy isn't it but that's using the current information we have so far.

Light bends in space ..

There are no straight lines ..

That does not jilt your sense of reality ??

Boy .. you are locked up tight.

Whatever.

Cheers ...
  • edited November 2007
    [/B]
    Evolution blessed us with amazing brains and intellectual capacities. I will not pretend that a fly is your equal.

Evolution does not bless anything .. you are no more blessed then the fly .. like it or not .. and in the grand scheme of things the flys may be around longer then humans. So the big brain may be of limited value. Fewer neurons may be better ????

Cheers ...
  • edited November 2007
    .. and yet a fly walks on my cieling and I walk on the floor But we both have the same reality ?????????? :eek2:
    yes. Walking on the ceiling somehow changes what is real and what is not?!
    The information we have so far tells us reality bends .. physics suggest the universe can only be undertsood in a relative sense. Time on a space ship traveling through space is not the same as time sitting hear on earth. Time slows as we move through space .. a space traveler ages slowly while on earth people would age much faster. The experience of time differs between space traveler and earthling. Crazy isn't it but that's using the current information we have so far.
    Exactly. So that is part of our reality. IT doesn't change anything, only adds to our knowledge of that reality.

Boy .. you are locked up tight.

Whatever.

Cheers ...
    I appreciate you starting arrogant, personal attacks again. Is this how Buddhism works for you? One studies Buddhism and then becomes an all-knowing being who looks down on everybody else? Call me a baby and pretend I am stupid for having a different view?
    Are you studying the same ideals as the rest of the members on this website? Because you seem to be the only one here that is full of himself. You really need to get over yourself. You are extremely contradictory and, in my opinion, a flat-out jackass. Congratulations on being the first Buddhist Jackass I have ever met.

I can at least admit that I don't have all the answers to life. I certainly am not going to pretend to be more knowledgeable than somebody else because I have studied one minuscule religion...that may or may not be right.

You speak of looking at things from the outside, maybe you should view your beliefs from the point of one who does not believe Buddhism holds all the answers to life. You may find some of your statements to be quite silly. If you honestly belief that human beings are not better off than a fly, then I can't look at you as being a rational person. Flies cannot even think about life, they just carry out the actions they have to so they can stay alive. You mix scientific evidence with Buddhist philosophies and pretend the philosophies are just as factual. Reality is reality. Our Universe is our Universe.

You, OST, have brought me to an important conclusion: I just can't bring myself to believe any religion is anything more than brain-washing. I cannot stand the arrogant "You have to be a real Buddhist to understand...blah blah blah." You, sir, have not escaped the "battle" you speak of in any way, shape, or form. The battle you tried to project onto me is the one that you, yourself, are fighting.

I'm not going to allow myself to turn into the hated "troll" around here. So I will take my leave. I know OST does not speak for Buddhism, but if I stick around his arrogant remarks will pop up constantly and I feel I will not learn here. No hard feelings...just not a good fit.

Peace to all.
  • edited November 2007
    Redpill ...

I am talking science not buddhism or any religion. It seems you have had an allergic reaction to religion .. anything thats does not add to an integer like 2 + 2 you refuse to grasp. If it is not straight lines .. black and white you think it is religion and immediately pass it off as nonsense.

I have not insulted you .. I made an observation regarding your respones it was an observation on how you see things. That is not cause for you to explode in paragraphs of nonsense attacking me or what religion you think I represent.

Cheers ...
  • edited November 2007
    Enjoy ...

Just some tidbits.

The first two links are from Einstien's world .. the last from "buhdda's world ".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wteiuxyqtoM&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSRIyDfo_mY&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzPk0QVr_nQ&mode=related&search=

Cheers ...
  • edited November 2007
    Enjoy ...

Just some tidbits.

The first two links are from Einstien's world .. the last from "buhdda's world ".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wteiuxyqtoM&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSRIyDfo_mY&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzPk0QVr_nQ&mode=related&search=

Cheers ...

Those are all really good. Thanks for sharing.
    edited November 2007
    Evolution. Adaptation.

But the five senses have always existed. So in a sense, they have not evolved, but have simply been refined.

Adaptation?
    Please explain how adaptation has affected your five senses.
    How has your eyesight 'adapted'?
    And your sense of touch?

I'm not clear on what you mean....
  • edited November 2007
    But the five senses have always existed. So in a sense, they have not evolved, but have simply been refined.

Adaptation?
    Please explain how adaptation has affected your five senses.
    How has your eyesight 'adapted'?
    And your sense of touch?

I'm not clear on what you mean....

Maybe the five senses have always existed...but it took time for the five sense organs to evolve. And really, do you think that there is a sense without a sense organ?
    edited November 2007
    OK, now let me please clarify, because I think it's important to make sure we're not talking at cross-purposes....
    Are you speaking from a purely anatomical, biological evolutionary standpoint, or are you discussing the senses with regard to a Buddhist perspective of their function and existence?
    Whilst Buddhism wholeheartedly embraces the research and findings of scientists and scholars, it also takes into account the Sutras and teachings with regard to the use, and results of responses to the senses.....
  • edited November 2007
    I am talking from the purely anatomical, biologically evolutionary standpoint, which I think was the view that Red Pill Addict was talking from (RPA please correct me if I've misunderstood you.)

What does Buddhism say about the senses? Don't worry about repeating what I may already know--I'm still very new at this and I can't claim to know much.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2007
    In Buddhism, the six senses (mind is also included as a sense) arise from the deluded notion of self and other. In other words, we see the world from the standpoint of dualistic thinking - I'm over here, a unique and separate self, and everything else is over there, not-self. So the senses arise from that belief and serve to perpetuate it by confirming that, yup, there is stuff out there, and I'm here observing it. Realizing the lack of a real self is what leads to enlightenment.

Palzang
  • edited December 2007
    Wow that just blows my mind every time I try to think about it... :wow:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2007
    Well, that's the point, enit? :winkc:

Palzang
  • edited December 2007
    Palzang wrote: »
    Well, that's the point, enit? :winkc:

Palzang

:om:
  • edited December 2007
    Hello Palzang .. :smilec:

You really no how to cut away all the fat and get to the point !!

Cheers ...
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2007
    Now if I could only cut away my fat and get to the ribs!

Palzang
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2007
    If we add Taliesin's list of senses to the Buddhist 6, we get 8, including language and intuition. To these we have to add other, more subtle senses such as our vestibular sense (sense of position in space), balance, etc., etc.

As i have looked at the exquisite working of my senses, the way in which I interpret the world-out-there and transform my perception of it reveals itself to me, and its delusions.